Recent content by Jim 68cuda

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

1. Jim 68cuda

The Great Divide Lines A tribute to John Allen and the Gorre & Daphetid

In an ancient 1959 model railroad catalog, the Purina Chows Feed Mill was Suydam #82, and was priced at $3.95. In the 1997 Walthers catalog, Suydam was then listed as California Model Company and the same kit was #700-82, and was priced at $19.95. Dimensions were given at 5"x9".
  2. Jim 68cuda

Scratch-building a Carvel ice cream stand

Looks like the Bachmann Plasticville HO scale Hamburger drive in is still available and shows up on Bachmann's website. https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_362_364&products_id=2822
  3. Jim 68cuda

Blair Line makes a Dari King kit in HO scale. https://www.walthers.com/dari-king-drive-in-restaurant-kit-4-x-5-quot-10-x-12-5cm Busch makes an HO scale gas station kit that can be built as a single structure (by placing two units back to back as shown) or as two separate identical structures...
  4. Jim 68cuda

In the early 70's, Life Like made an HO scale McDonalds, but they were forced by McDonalds to end production shortly after it started. The McDonalds kit is rare and expensive now, but the original molds were altered to make an ice cream stand. The Freezee Ice Cream kit was available from...
  5. Jim 68cuda

New Oxford HO models

Yeah, but YOU'LL know!
  6. Jim 68cuda

New Oxford HO models

But the stepsides with the boats are 57's. The stepsides without the boats are 55's. Afraid you'll need to get the boats if you want any 57 stepsides at your dealership.
  7. Jim 68cuda

New Oxford HO models

The 57 Chevy Cameo pickups are scheduled for future release. Also for future release are a couple 57 Chevy step sides packaged along with boats on trailers. https://www.walthers.com/57-cameo-alpine-blue https://www.walthers.com/57-chevy-pu-w-trlr...
  8. Jim 68cuda

New Oxford HO models

Just a reminder, the 57 Chevy Cameo pickups by Classic Metalworks are due at Walthers in a week or so. Looks like there will be three colors available. You'll need a few for your 1957 vintage Chevy dealership. Looks like they have the 55 Chevy stepside pickups back in stock, but the 55 Chevy box...
  9. Jim 68cuda

What product to use to make a gravel road

Heres a Youtube tutorial on making a dirt road.
  10. Jim 68cuda

New Oxford HO models

Not Oxford, but Auto World finally has photos on their website for the Classic Metalworks '55 Chevy pickup, and Walthers shows the pickups as "in transit", but still with no photos. Also, slightly off topic, Auto World has also re-released the old Polar lights HO scale house kits (and has photos...
  11. Jim 68cuda

What a way to ruin the hobby

You have to join the group to see whats in it. I'm on Facebook, but not on that group. I enjoy Facebook and find more participation there in some hobby related groups than I see on equivalent message boards or forums. For example, I'm interested in 1/87 scale vehicle models. There are several...
  12. Jim 68cuda

Incorporating A Jack Post Column In The Layout

I'm assuming you don't want to model "Jack and the Beanstalk", a rocket launch, or the Empire State Building. That pretty much means modeling a mountain with clouds made of cotton hiding the top, or using the post to secure one end of a backdrop with different scenery on each side. The only...
  13. Jim 68cuda

Do You Model and Detail Areas of Your Layout That No One Can See?

When I first built my layout, I did detail areas that couldn't be seen. I did it because I wanted the flexibility of getting unique camera angles that otherwise wouldn't be visible. I also thought about mounting a camera on a train for a video tour of the layout, though I never got that far. Now...
  14. Jim 68cuda

Resin model autos. Any advice for painting?

Thanks for the input. I also bought a couple of 3D printed cars from Shapeways that I will be trying as well. In the past, I have stayed away from the 3D printed models because the medium has always been the grainy white plastic with too rough a surface to paint in expectation of a smooth...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com