Recent content by igmuska

1. I

Configuring DH165K1A FX3 Rotary Beacon

After much ado, TADA OU9rLqX0O4A
  2. I

CV113 = 38 in decimal works great, the bulb doesn't flash too rapidly, it gradually fades and brightens perfectly. And I kept it on the F3 pad (brown) but still have to silence the default coupler clank associated with F3.
  3. I

Finally got the beacon to work, using a 330 ohm 1/4 watt resistor (Radioshack), now I just got to button up my locomotive and start applying the decals and #8002 is on the rails...
  4. I

I have a Miniatronics 1.2mm, 1.5 volt bulb, incandescent, for the rotary beacon I want for this locomotive. When I soldered to the F3(brown wire) on the right hand side of the DH165K1A decoder, it burns the bulbs out. On the left hand side is the F3+ pad as shown in the photo, how do I access...
  5. I

And the short and skinny of progress, evidently the board needs limiting resistors although they say they don't...I burnt out several bulbs so far. In a couple of days, my resistors should arrive parcel post; I ordered them thinking just in case. The other issue is that although I changed the...
  6. I

I just suffered a case of extreme speed reading, not noticing that the CVs listed in the FX3 tables are in hex, the correct value for CV113 is 38, and not 26, if I wanted to control the rotary beacon with F3. This is all starting to make sense now. But enough dreaming about the rotary beacon, I...
  7. I

That is a great idea, fast_ian, and makes more sense. I never seen a SD40-2, equipped with a rotary beacon, start up; I have seen the beacons operating on the rails long ago. The yellow safety light can be seen for miles. Setting CV113 to B6 would mean that the moment the locomotive starts...
  8. I

I am great believer in Occam's Razor where the simplest way is the right way. My Kato SD40-2 sounds great and runs fine. I have a very basic understanding of CVs and function mapping but feel that I can do this with a little advice from this board. Now, according to Digitrax, this decoder...
  9. I

I also have Digitrax PR3 and have already downloaded Decoder Pro. At present, I also only have one locomotive that I'd like to add a rotary beacon. The decoder manual gives tables for the CVs as well as describes the process for function remapping. In my case, this is the first time I'll have...
  10. I

As I am days new to this DCC business, taking the plunge with a Digitrax Super Chief, I have a question on how to install and configure a rotary beacon for this decoder for my Kato SD40-2 BN. After reading through the books and the Digitrax site, I am still slightly confused on how the function...
  11. I

Walthers 48' 5-Unit Spine Car Sets

I have only two slight misgivings about the 48' spines: (1) on my true track carpet layout, the wheels run on their frames over bumps; and (2) on re-packing in their case, I snapped one in half---the black plastic screw, joining the front truck assembly to their rear platform, snaps easily.
  12. I

Need Help: Athearn SD40-2 Parts Diagram

When I wrote ancient, I meant the light board has this big resistor on both ends under the board. Other than not having the weights and having that big light bulb common in the blue box locomotives, I was able to swap out the light board and motor/drive shafts from the RTR Masrsk into the BNSF...
  13. I

It is the transitional model, equipped with the ancient DCC Quick-Plug; it doesn't have the large weights on top of the frame. That is why I bought the Maersk in hopes that I could just switch over the shells. The transitional model is much too light; I rationalize it as that the big void in the...
  14. I

Thanks for your most helpful parts diagram. The part containing the gears I'll need to re-power my BNSF SD40-2 #7835 [ATH80174] is #40074. Fortunately I bought a Maersk SD40-2 in hopes that I could switch shells with my BNSF SD40-2 #6821. It didn't work as the frame is the transitional type (or...
  15. I

Thanks but this diagram is for a blue box. The trucks I am looking for have wires connected directly to the top of the truck as the transition type includes that for the DCC Ready sticker. I feel the trucks are similar to the part numbers you listed but have metal tabs sticking up on both sides...

Back