Recent content by fotoflojoe

1. F

My N scale scratch built frieght depot

That must be a major award!
  2. F

Did Atlas ever fix the code 55 track availability issues?

Have you considered Microengineering flex? They definitely make a high-quality product, it's only a few cents more per foot than Atlas, and there's plenty available. Though ME flex track is stiffer than Atlas - it will hold the curve you set it to. Some people really don't like that. Good luck!
  3. F

Mixing Scales for distance

This is the best example of forced perspective in model railroading, that I've seen. (It's a static diorama.) http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70528
  4. F

Ok here goes!

Nothing to offer here other than good luck, and I'm in to see the build thread. If there were a vote, mine would go toward modelling the "B" line - I lived along the "B" line in Allston, Ma as a child.
  5. F

Electrical - how did YOU wire yours?

My setup is very similar to the OP's. Terminal blocks directly feed power districts for now, but circuit breakers/block detection units will soon be placed in line. It's a simple 4x8, but I very much want to experiment with signalling. My feeders are soldered to track rails (one per track...
  6. F

What everyone has been begging for...finally in HO Scale

He's also selling these. What an odd set of listings. And hey, if you can get someone to pay you $500 for a pair of size 17 Chuck Taylors, more power to you...
  7. F

DCC Newbie - First install

Bob's correct and gave good advice. I'd add this: When experimenting with decoder programming, make only one change at a time, inspect the result, and be meticulous about recording which changes were made. Unless you already know what to expect, changing more than one value at a time can create...
  8. F

Ditch lights...

Train Tek really are a great bunch of people. I too, am a stone's throw from their shop, and have spent many a work day lunch hour getting good advice on projects and happily giving them my money! :D Usual disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with Train Tek, other than being a satisfied customer.
  9. F

flux paste for soldering flex track

Yes, use electronics soldering methods. (no acid!) In addition to using 60/40 solder with rosin core flux, I use a flux pen. I originally wanted flux paste, but these were available locally - now I won't use anything else. Just before applying heat, give the joint a little dab. It's...
  10. F

Introduction, Grandfathers legacy build

Any updates on the layout? Summer's over, get back into the basement! :D
  11. F

which camp are you in ??

I subscribed to both MR and RMC this year. Most likely though, I won't renew. To me, it's simply not worth the cost, even at discounted subscription rates. Plus, my local library system gets both magazines, so I can borrow them for free.
  12. F

Peco's website is finally getting attention and updating!

Wow, once you are able to get through, Ben Arnold seems to be a pretty responsive chap.
  13. F

A Prototypical Spaghetti Bowl Layout

CSX's Beacon Park yard in Boston, MA has one also.
  14. F

My track plan, finally... Would appreciate some critique/advice.

If I'm reading your suggestion properly, that's a very interesting idea. I'm planning to scenic the lower part of the layout to look like a tiny bit of the town that "butts up" against the industrial area. Abandoned trackage/repurposed right-of-way would fit nicely into that theme. Thanks!
  15. F

My track plan, finally... Would appreciate some critique/advice.

The spur curve is what initially caught my eye about the plan. So for me, visual interest is definitely the reason I used it - apart from having no idea that it may or may not be prototypical :D. Also, I'd like to try my hand at scratch-building the diamonds. Thanks for the comments!

Back