Recent content by dmeephd

1. dmeephd

Messerschmitt Factory Information - Epoche II

Thanks Bernie. I have posted this query on some other Military and WWII History forums, but not those two. Thanks for the links. I did manage to acquire one book from Germany, and several pictures using Googles Picture Search engine (the German version). So I'm getting there.
  2. dmeephd

Kitbashing Turntable

Larry, I sure don't mean to be critical, but isn't using the Atlas turntable mechanism as a basis for a turntable that you will be investing quite some time in making - and requiring at least some decent performance from - a little bit like making a "silk purse from a sow's ear"?
  3. dmeephd

Tough Decision....

I can confirm that Walthers requires a Brick & Mortar presence; they're still operating in the mid-20th Century. However, it doesn't have to be a 100% pure hobby shop. I know of several other types of stores (a flower shop in AZ and a hardware store in CT, for example) that have accounts with...
  4. dmeephd

V-1 and V-2 Transport Trains

I am looking for some photographs of the railway wagons used to transport V1 and V2 components from the factories to the launch sites. I have some photos of the Ommru wagons and Rungen-wagens used to transport the V2, but not nearly enough with which to detail an actual model. I am aware that...
  5. dmeephd

squadron green putty and primer

I've never had an issue with Squadron's White or Green Putty; just be sure that you knead the tube well before applying and give it ample opportunity to dry before sanding if the humidity is above 40%. For me, it has always accepted Krylon Primer very well.
  6. dmeephd

Ouch! Well Jim, if that's true, it certainly would explain the lack of reference material and photographs. Especially when compared to the other major German industries of that period. For example, I am modeling a U-Boat dock side scene in Hamburg, and my stack of reference books regarding...
  7. dmeephd

Excellent online resource, thanks. Although it doesn't help me on the pre-war factories, it has given me some ideas to fall back on in case I cannot find any other references. It's strange, because nearly every other major German company has voluminous photographic galleries of their...
  8. dmeephd

I have been looking all over for some 1940s era photographs of the Messerschmitt factories in Augsburg or Regensburg. I'd even settle for a history book of Messerschmitt that had some illustrations. I've googled, checked out Amazon.com and Amazon.de (Germany), and the Wikipedia. Found one book...
  9. dmeephd

Alternative to scenic cement

No problem. I had that same problem; the finger out thinks the mind! :) The advice given in the posts above is spot on!
  10. dmeephd

Alternative to scenic cement

To glue what? One would need a lot more information in order to advise you...
  11. dmeephd

Any other TT scale modelers out there?

Actually, there is a fair amount of TT equipment, especially in Germany, where the scale was first developed (although it was invented in the US in 1945 by Hal Joyce). It never really caught on here, but the East Germans loved it, and very nearly every East German firm (Wiad, Piko, Vau-Pe...
  12. dmeephd

Modeling Cliches to Avoid when Building your Layout

Websters defines a cliché or cliche, as a saying, expression, or idea which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning, especially when at some earlier time it was considered distinctively meaningful or novel, rendering it a stereotype; e.g. "Sound as a Bell," "Dead as a...
  13. dmeephd

4%

Well yes, it is a compromise of sorts from one perspective; but look at it this way. If your train disappears from one level of your layout, and quickly - almost magically - reappears on another level, one could say that the layout has taken on a toy-like quality. In other words, the train...
  14. dmeephd

Custom Steel load

Bead String! What a neat idea. I've used that shiny thread that the kids like to use on their fancy jeans; the silver color looks pretty good and accepts paint well. But that bead string really looks like wire rope, more so than the thread. I suppose that one could find it at Wal-Mart or...
  15. dmeephd

What do you think?

Josh, you do pretty good work, and I am simply amazed at the speed. All of this in 12-1/2 hours? Whew!

Back