Recent content by Chemdawg

1. C

Re-inventing the wheel

It's been a while since I have been on the forum here. Been studying for work to become an electrician. Anywho..... My current layout is all dcc using the DS64's to control my modified bachmann turnouts with tortoise machines. Well recently I decided to put my huge stash of allen bradley...
  2. C

Newbie with dumb questions

Let me just say this. I chose to go with the Bachmann ez track, and I regret it now. I really wish I wouldn't have bought so much of it and used it. If I could start over, I'd use flex any day. The bachmann stuff is noisy, too many joints for my liking, and sometimes a pain in the rear end...
  3. C

Atlas turntable motor drive (304) Belts

For the time being I'm using an Oring that was a tad bigger than the rubberband belt, and it seems to be a bit tighter. The 301 motor seems to be a discontinued item. So I found one on Ebay that I'm watching right now. If anyone here has one they'd like to sell, I'll take it.
  4. C

I never knew they even had one. Is this the one right here? The one for the 305 turntable...
  5. C

Thanks Larry. Where can I find the gear driven one?
  6. C

I have an atlas turntable with the 304 motor drive. Well it came with the one belt installed, and a spare. Well I broke both of them. So..... Does anyone know a replacement, or some way to modify it to use something else for a belt.
  7. C

My turntable project

Extension is built onto my layout, and I'm working on getting the pit aligned just right. The hardest part seems to be getting the track to line up with the ingoing and outgoing tracks. For now there will be three outgoing for the roundhouse stalls, and there will be 1 incoming. The turntable...
  8. C

My turntable project

The metal block that goes from the atlas turntable to my bridge? It's a two piece spindle that was made on a lathe. The bottom half is screwed to the atlas turntable base, perfectly centered, and the top half unscrews. The top half is threaded so a button head screw can hold the bridge to the...
  9. C

My turntable project

After looking through the pics, and looking at the mostly finished product, I was thinking.... Does this even look slightly prototypical?
  10. C

My turntable project

Here is the control panel that is mounted on the facia by the rest of my controls. To get the wiring to the turntable without running a million wires, I used network cables for the LED's and micro switches. When you turn the rotary switch, it will line up with one of the LED's and that...
  11. C

My turntable project

The next posts will be of the control panel, and I will talk about how I ran so many wires from the turn table location, to the control panel. More to come soon!!!!!
  12. C

My turntable project

And finally the finished product minus weathering. This thing works great. It needs some tweaks, and whatnot, but the design worked great, and it cost less than 100 bucks to build. Plus I feel alot better knowing it was something I built.
  13. C

My turntable project

Now one of the biggest problems I had was getting this to stop just right. Since the Atlas turntable stops at individual points and works well, I wanted to go one step farther. I wanted to use a rotary switch to turn to a position, and I wanted it to stop right there. So drawing up a...
  14. C

My turntable project

Now that the bridge is mounted in the pit, I was looking into different alternatives to supporting the ends. I was originally going to use N-scale trucks on the bottom of the bridge to ride in a section of N-scale track going around the perimeter. Instead I went with a single rail, and used a...
  15. C

My turntable project

Now with the pit finished, I needed to connect the bridge to the turntable below somehow or another. So I had my machinist make me a 2 piece spindle out of aluminum at work. This bolts to the atlas turntable right at the center point. The bridge sits on the top of the spindle.

Back