Recent content by Charles Smiley

1. Charles Smiley

Modeling Tips

This video plays in a number of hobby shops off of a repeating loop DVD. . Since they have all been closed for a few months I'm posting a youtube version here. It's around 30 minutes long.
  2. Charles Smiley

SP "Light Pacific" by Broadway Limited.

I been really busy making this DVD as pictured below. the layout didn't get more than occasional dusting and track cleaning for some time. The whole thing needs weathering - but not until all the other stuff is done to it. And until all the bugs are proved gone and outta here, and it runs...
  3. Charles Smiley

Yeah thanks. I like the continuous piece handrailing. I might try that soon when I get more brass wire. I've been out since the shutdown and waiting for the shops to open again. In some of the photos I have on slides of these things it almost looks like they cut the front steps off it's all so...
  4. Charles Smiley

I picked one of these up knowing that it was a generic Pacific (4-6-2). I'm in the process of making it look more like an SP Pacific as used on the SF Peninsula. I need it for a Fast Mail train with all Harriman style dark-olive colored cars that I built up. On flat ground these things were...
  5. Charles Smiley

Retirement and the layout choices

QUOTE: Charles! Do you have any themes in mind? The space you described sounds great. Sure. All my models are centered on 1956, Alameda and Contra Costa County SP and WP Railroad themes. So I'll keep with that. All the buildings are derived, in part or total, from that area and time. All the...
  6. Charles Smiley

Chuck, Thanks! Actually I retired, from electronics engineering, some time ago. But since then, I still have a hand in making more new vintage railroad videos and I still have more of those I have material saved up for. If I stop "doing" and making things, it might hasten the demise. I've seen...
  7. Charles Smiley

Yeh, I thought about modular style, but I like sweeping-vistas and that might make it harder. Regarding the present 20x20 layout, I told the Mrs. and daughter that when I'm gone they can arrange a sale -- and the rolling stock, signals (all brass), Electronics and the buildings can be...
  8. Charles Smiley

Brass prices, they are falling, atleast at shows

I have scored a few brass WP cabooses that way. Many came with poor trucks, no paint or glazing. But They are true "durable goods" and worth the time to honor their long-suffering wait in a box stuffed into a dark closet. :) Chas.
  9. Charles Smiley

We have been looking at places to retire and it has included Texas and Arizona. I have noticed that in places like Kingman, and Bullhead City, AZ that you can sell a So.Cal home and buy a palace for half that amount. AND! The newer homes in many cases are adding not only a 3 car garage (Yay!)...
  10. Charles Smiley

Your Layout After Dark

Gary, It's HO scale. I used the Walthers street lights. They look great unlighted. But they were so dumb to use incandescent bulbs instead of cool-white LEDs. Also the plug-socket design is prone to being unreliable here on my layout and intermittent. I have replaced several. I thought it would...
  11. Charles Smiley

My Opinions.

I cut off at 1956 and I 98-percent keep to it with the trains. Same with autos and trucks. One exception I can think of is a little white model of the Jeep Gladiator pickup truck that didn't really come out until 1963. But hardly anyone would know that date or even what the truck was. Off...
  12. Charles Smiley

My Opinions.

No it isn't over weathered. But.... Ore cars show up at mines, and then ore processing plants, Both of those "customers" have no expectation of clean cars. These cars usually are essentially "captive" to one railroad. When a boxcar shows up at a kitchen appliance factory I would think that...
  13. Charles Smiley

Your Layout After Dark

This is an Albers Mill, something like the one that was in Portland, OR. It has been "transplanted" to 1956 Oakland, CA. I liked the looks of it a lot so I built a resemblance of it.
  14. Charles Smiley

Your Layout After Dark

What scale is that? It looks too detailed for HO. It is HO. The basic building is the old resin kit of a city block that Walthers now offers in plastic.. I built it long ago and it waited in a closet for the layout to be built.
  15. Charles Smiley

The cost of highspeed rail is expensive, but can we really afford not to consider it?

I still travel a lot by train. Amtrak that is. I do it to see things and relax. If I want speed I'll twist my legs into an airline seat-space and endure it for an hour or two. Having said that, I think the California HS train was a scam and a fraud from the beginning. A small fortune was...

Back