Recent content by BN_Railfan

1. B

Weight Question

I'm speculating here, but I believe since locomotives are powered the weighting rules do not apply. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but generally speaking the heavier the loco the better the pulling power. And just like the real railroad, if you've got a long train add extra power!
  2. B

Problem with LokSound Decoder

I'm not sure how old the decoder is, but I have had a couple members at my club who have had their Loksound decoders replaced due to issues with the sound function(s) not working correctly. I myself have a Loksound that was purchased a year ago and certain sound features (engine notching comes...
  3. B

DCC Wiring Question - Twisted Pair

My club is in the process of rewiring our Digitrax controlled layout and we are in the process of installing several PM42 boards, new main bus wiring and track feeders. I have started to install new bus wiring using "twisted pair" wiring, which I create by pairing two different coloured wires...
  4. B

The Gremlins Come Out When Guests Are Watching

My guess: one of the guests was standing on the power cord causing it to loosen at the wall outlet. Once they went upstairs the strain was released and the plug reseated itself :-)
  5. B

Kato Locomotive Lighting Question

Well guys, it looks like I'm going to have to replace the factory light board. I had an opportunity to check the unit without the shell at work night last night; attached is a photo of the result. The photo doesn't do it justice, but there's no question why my lighting is orange - the on-board...
  6. B

DCC Help - Kato Factory LokSound

kz9, I'll try to help you out; I have the SD40-2 unit that has a dealer installed ESU decoder that I'm currently trying to figure out :-) First things first, if you have factory installed LokSound make sure you get the right manual - you should be looking at the Loksound V4.0 manual. The way I...
  7. B

Thanks for the info guys. I think at this point my next step is to try running the loco with the shell removed to see what colour the on-board LEDs are (the DCC conversion uses the KATO factory light board which has surface mount LEDs) If the lights themselves turn out to be the issue, I'll...
  8. B

Like many others, after a long time away from the hobby I have returned to find out that much has changed, and most of it for the better! However, I am frustrated with a couple of things: my first locomotive's lighting and the difficulty in finding relevant information on the net. In...

Back