Recent content by blvdbuzzard

1. B

Airbrush/compressor recommendations?

Just to add a little bit, after thinking about all of this. If I had to use only one airbrush. I would go with the Paasche single action. It will last a life time, do 95% of what you need and work every time you pull the trigger. Buzz.
  2. B

Airbrush/compressor recommendations?

I have a small comp from Harbor freight. It works pretty good for air brushes. I picked it up on sale for $50.00. I was tired of using my 60 gallon 5hp monster to run my sir brushes. It would not cycle much, but every time that monster started, I jumped and messed up the paint job. I have...
  3. B

Help with Propel Cans Please

Now this was many many man was it really that long ago? But after you screw on the top to the propel can, dont you need to tighten a screw on the top to get the air to flow? Here is the little compressor I have for airbrushing. It is not super noisy, nor is it super quiet. These compressor...
  4. B

Central Valley Truss Bridge

Try the 5 foot rule. Look at it from 5 feet away. You will be surprised how well it will look if you finish it. Weathering does wonders for bridges. I have the older yellow version of that saw. It makes small cuts so easy. I tore the safety off because it got in the way more then made it...
  5. B

Miter saw ( compoud or sliding) vs table saw

I have (2) table saws, (2) wood miter saws, one is a sliding compound, (1) metal chop saw, (3) skill type saws, jig saws and so on. Long time wood worker. if you are getting tools just for this layout build, save you money and get a good hand saw to do the cutting. It is not hard to cut...
  6. B

Dust and lint removal... suggestions wanted

Get a can of air from the office supply. The stuff used to clean computers. It is filter and very clean. It will blow most if no all dust off. I just use my compressed air from my compressor. Buzz.
  7. B

Foamcore as a riser component

The paper is glued to each side. If you want a smooth surface, the paper would be good to paint. I remove the paper because I usually sand, bend, hot wire cut the stuff. You can order a box of it online and it ships free to the closet store. The box has a lot of foam in it. I use 3M77 spray...
  8. B

I use the cheap $1.00 foam sheets for a lot of stuff. Soak the paper, let dry, peels right off. Cut, sand, shape, easy peasy. You can stack foam to get the right height you want or need. Buzz.
  9. B

You can make a foam cutter out of a door bell transformer, dimmer switch, fishing leader, speaker wire, wood handle. Then you can cut any angle, shape, thickness you need. Little more in depth http://hotwirefoamcutterinfo.com/_DIYPSDesign.html Thread on building a foam cutter. Another easy...
  10. B

Weird airbrushing problem

Might try to use some chem tool aka carb cleaner. Use it very lightly on a rag. Wipe it down. Wear good respirator. Also might try some Krylon or Rustoleum spray can primer first. Sure sounds like silicon, break fluid or mold release. Could be a lot of things not knowing the history of the...
  11. B

New to airbrushing

If you are going to spray oil based paints, you may find the regulator water filter may not get all of the moisture out of the lines before it hits the airbrush. Might want to pick up a few of these...
  12. B

Which Airbrush Compressor to Buy

I have (3) compressors. My big one is a 60 gallon 5hp monster. LOUD, puts out tons of air, next I have a 3hp 26 gallon HF compressor I picked up for $100.00, then I have a small 3 gallon HF compressor for my air brushes. It is not to loud, big enough to run my nail guns too. It was on sale...
  13. B

Improving Athearn 'Blue Box' locomotives

My problem with detail parts is know what part goes with what loco. I was hoping to find a kit for GP-35's like they have the the F units and the SD's. Buzz.
  14. B

Dont buy Athearn Genesis GP9

I have (2) of the RTR Athearn GP-35's. I spent $99.99 for them at the LHS. In comparing them to the old BB GP-35's, Well the new ones are light years a head of the old ones. I paid $19.99 They have the molded on grab irons, sort of shaped like fans on top. The new ones run better, look...
  15. B

Dont buy Athearn Genesis GP9

What surprises me is the expectation of perfection for $300.00. You could spend $100,000.00 on a car and it is not perfect. I go by the 5 foot rule, if I can not see it 5 feet away, close enough. At 5 feet my 20 year old BB GP-35's look good. Buzz.

Back