Recent content by bennyboots

1. B

Need advise on turn radius

Best advice right here. They are not kidding when they say 30" minimum. I crammed 25" curves onto my recently built layout and boy am I regretting it. Forget running anything longer than 60', passenger equipment looks bizarre on a curve like that, autoracks too. I think the golden rule is...
  2. B

Foam tools

I got a hot knife foam cutter from MicroMark. The picture on the magazine shows this chick nicely shaping a mountain with ease out of pink foam insulation using the foam cutter. Reality is that even in my garage with the ceiling fan going and big door open. It still creates fumes so bad you...
  3. B

Headlight lenses

Some of the ditch light castings from Details West come with lenses. Might be worth having a look if they sell them stand alone.
  4. B

Electrical - how did YOU wire yours?

I have heard lot's of guys use the 3M scotch lok "suitcase" connectors. I just used auto strippers and soldered my feeder wires in. Slow and steady I did about 50 sets of feeder wires this way. For the amount of time I have spent under there, I am considering in investing in a micromark...
  5. B

Which DCC system with JMRI is best?

Enjoy your new DCC system!!!
  6. B

Should I Jump an Insulfrog

That's what I did too , no problems yet.
  7. B

I think you still need have your computer online for the WiFi network that WiThrottle requires. Not 100% sure though. If your computer is connected to your modem which enables the use of WiThrottle are you still at risk?
  8. B

Keep in mind that the digitrax empire builder will not read back CV's to you on JMRI. This is very annoying when programming locomotives. NCE cab reads back CV's as well as the Digitrax super chief, not sure about the Zephyr. I use a Locobuffer USB from RRcircuits with a Digitrax empire...
  9. B

SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Will there ever be a SCARM for MAC OSX? :)
  10. B

Greetings from Sunny Las Vegas

Thats awesome! Please share the pictures when its done. This is one of my favorite railway themed restaurants to eat at. It is in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and is called "Saskatoon Station Place" that has 2 old coaches attached.
  11. B

Greetings from Sunny Las Vegas

:) I was in Vegas on a short vacation last weekend. Of course, I had to go find the tracks... Nice to meet you.
  12. B

track soldering questions

A small piece of paper towel folded down to around 1'' square and soaked with water (1 on each side of your work area directly above the ties) worked well for me I didn't melt a single tie. I soldered my feeder wires in 1/4'' from the joiners, one for every piece of solid rail. I didn't solder...
  13. B

Turnouts which to buy?

I recently bought 12 walthers/sinohara code 83 #6 turnouts for my layout. I wouldn't recommend them, as I was very dissapointed with the quality. I had to add a pin to keep the point rails from flexing outward when a car travelled over causing them to go out of gauge. They also seemed very...
  14. B

When Will DCC become the standard?

Yeah thats where I saw it. :)
  15. B

Bogenville Terminal Ry.

I check your site all the time. I just want to say that your work is fantastic. Your models are of the highest calibre I have ever seen. It really inspires me to keep practicing so I can build great Canadian diesels like you someday.

Back