Recent content by beiland

1. B

What If,...Designing a New Steam Locomotive Product??

Just happened across this very good (older) discussion Tender Drive for Steam,...thinking out loud https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/tender-drive-for-steam-thinking-out-loud-12190154
  2. B

In the length of just going around that 180 degree turn it seems to well over itself by quite a margin?
  3. B

Found a youtube video for this specific Roco BR43 engine that appears to support that it pulls long trains, and I think this is a considerable grade it is climbing at this moment in the video (up and over itself in a fairly small circular length of track) ? I'd venture to guess that grade is...
  4. B

From what I understand it was a very poor design,... that likely contributed to the many negative responses I have heard about this tender drive idea. I'll have to get into more detail once I have a little more time. The German manufactures got much more involved in the powered tender subject...
  5. B

RhB Michael, What particular engine/manufacture is that beauty?
  6. B

I wrote this recently,.. "I experimented with that recently in just plain old DC mode. I used an Atlas S2 (die-cast frame, very heavy) to push my Backmann Northern around the layout. It did extremely well, and likely with a little tweaking could have done it with just as many cars WITHOUT the...
  7. B

another quote on that other forum,..
  8. B

..from that other forum as well,..
  9. B

from another forum,.. Tender Driven Pusher Actually that Fleischmann idea looks like an interesting approach. Tender driven pushers with unpowered boiler might make things a lot less complicated to engineer and build,...and likely far less expensive to manufacture? Plus good big space for...
  10. B

What if you went to work for a model rr company, and was tasked with designing a new steam engine locomotive product? Are there changes from the state the art locomotives you would consider, based upon your own experiences, and/or experiences you have heard of from other modelers? Are there...
  11. B

Decoder Installation Question

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Let me clear up one item, that RSD 15 decoder board in the photo above is NOT the particular board I am asking about in this discussion,...but rather it was to illustrate the type of plug in wire connectors used on the decoder board I pulled out of a BLI...
  12. B

Decoder Installation Question

I'm pretty new to this decoder installation subject, and I have a particular installation problem. I'm removing the decoder/electronics board from a BLI F7 loco that developed zinc pest, and hoping to install it into an Intermountain F7 chassis. The problem that has arisen is that a number of...
  13. B

Improving Our Steam Engines Performance

We all know we can double or even triple up our diesels to get the pulling power we want. Its the steam engines we need to help, so we are forced to dbl-head them. So lets concentrate on them. I really think the pusher engine is the best solution. This pusher engine could be of several...
  14. B

Rising from the ashes...

Woodworking Shops generate a LOT of sawdust. Aren't you worried about keeping this out of the layout spaces??
  15. B

Improving Our Steam Engines Performance

I applaud these rather interesting postings you fellows are adding to this subject. Please keep it up, and I will rejoin the discussions once I get my latest computer problems resolved.

Back