Recent content by amdaley

1. amdaley

Alcohol As a Track Cleaner---Your Comments and Experiences

Plastic wheels are a no no. They create dirt on track. I use all metal wheels & I seldom have any problems unless the layout is left without running anything on it for some time. Good quality isopropyl alcohol is excellent for track cleaning.
  2. amdaley

SCARM - Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller

Thanks for the update :cool:
  3. amdaley

Is preordering worth it?

I've only pre-ordered once & never again. In 2011 I pre-ordered a loco. It took three years to arrive & when it did it lasted less than an hour before one of the motors packed up. It was a fault which seemed to effect most of the models produced. I returned the model for a refund but was...
  4. amdaley

Do you use DCC?

About 5 years ago while on a visit to New York I bought an NCE Power Pro 5 amp system after being on DC for many years. Best decision I ever made & wouldn't dream of going back. Where I live there are no Model Railway/Railroad modellers & no model shops so everything has to be bought through...
  5. amdaley

Ballast Spreaders - Anybody use them?

I got a square one of these. Didn't really work for me as it puts down to much ballast. I will go back to my spouted cup as its more controllable. Nice idea but not perfect yet.
  6. amdaley

Can CMX still work without explosive chemicals?

Use Denatured alcohol/methylated spirits or Isopropyl alcohol. Yes they are flammable, just don't have a source of naked flame like a fire around when you're using it. Don't smoke or use a naked flame while doing the cleaning. Open a door or windows for a few minutes after use just to clear...
  7. amdaley

What is a good scenery/ballast glue mixture?

Hi There. Its methylated spirits or denatured alcohol.We call it meths over here. Its a type of Ethanol. It is used in camping stoves, french polishing etc. Here is Wikis take on it. I provide the link because you may have it under different names...
  8. amdaley

What is a good scenery/ballast glue mixture?

Hi Everyone. This comes from Richard Johnson of Australia & works every time. RICHARD JOHNSON BALLASTING. *** Try it this way. Its really no big deal and can be relaxing if you take your time and put on a bit of good music. It takes hours to do a whole layout of course but they don't...
  9. amdaley

Control panel

That's excellent work. Well done.
  10. amdaley

Hurricane Sandy

I would like to wish anyone affected by this storm the best of luck. I’m sure we all have friends & families in the affected areas. We are thinking of you. Good luck.
  11. amdaley

New to DCC

I know everyone has their own favorite brand so you will get a lot of different recommendations. My advice is go somewhere where you can try out the various systems because whats right for one may not be right for you. I have an NCE Power Pro 5 amp wireless system myself & I'm very happy with...
  12. amdaley

New to DCC, Some questions before I get started

Brian. Grab yourself a large coffee & have a good read here.Richard Johnson does a good job of explaining it all. http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCadvice1.htm
  13. amdaley

Painting Framework

Woodwork indoors doesn't need painting except if your train room is prone to dampness or temperature swings in which case it may help is stopping the wood from expanding & contracting.It does help the layout to look good if the framework is painted. Use Acrylic or Latex paint. A couple of coats...
  14. amdaley

DC or DCC???

Hello. I suppose the easiest way to explain it is. In DC you drive the track.The more you turn the control knob the more voltage you put on the track & the faster the loco will move.If you have two locos on the track then they will both move. In DCC you drive the locomotive.There is always...
  15. amdaley

Cleaning Track discussion time!

I use a CMX track cleaning car with Goo gone & it works great.

Back