Recent content by a300mech

1. A

Union Pacific Age Discrimination!

Age discrimination laws are all well and good. However trying to prove the act of discrimination is another matter. I'm one of those that would rather hire an older worker with experience and a proven record. However hiring some younger workers to assist the older workers while learning the job...
  2. A

Bottle Brush Conifers

Fantastical trees!!!!! :) Thank you for sharing an awesome tree tip that should save many of us a lot of money and give us great looking trees in a short time. I've seen many good tree building ideas, but I believe this is the best and easiest I've seen so far!
  3. A

Digitrax DT400 Tether length?

Hi csxnut. Thank you for the info. The hobby shop I think you're referring to is the one on main St.? I think it's out of business. There's one in Tulsa near 51st and Mingo, but they seem to be leaning more towards R/C cars and planes. I was just there on Thursday and the model RR...
  4. A

Hi Mikey, Sounds like good advice. I think I'll try that out. I'm pretty sure of where most of my close attention will be needed. But of course things have a way of changing as plans turn into lumber and track. :) Take care, Darryl
  5. A

Hi Rex, Thanks for the link and the advice. I was hoping to be able to make my own plug in stations down the road. I was just going to wait till I got the actual hardware so I could reverse engineer them. The three panels I've got coming will be enough for the short term. But my layout is...
  6. A

Hey guys, Thanks for all the great thoughts. You're info regarding the UP5 placement is just what I had in mind. I'll be placing one at Altoona, and the others will go at each of my staging yards. I've got a space where I'll eventually have a coal mine, and a couple of other industries in a...
  7. A

Turnout Control on a for a Wye

Hi Perley, Ah, I see now. Glad you've got a solution. Since one of my wyes will be on the main and will be getting a lot of use maybe I should also try that. :) Anyways, happy railroading!
  8. A

Thanks for the words of advice guys. I would really love to go with the radio option....However right now funds are very tight. As for other operators, I'm the sole operator (I've never run into other railroaders around Broken Arrow for some reason), so tripping and tangling shouldn't be a real...
  9. A

Outstanding! Thank you so much Rex! That should be plenty long enough for my layout plan. Thank you again! :) a300mech
  10. A

Hello, Please forgive me, but if this info is out there I haven't been able to find it. Could someone with a DT400 cab (and perhaps also the UT4?) please tell me how long the tether is? This is a piece of info I'd really like to have as I'm trying to decide if I'm better off going with...
  11. A

Turnout Control on a for a Wye

Hello, I'm a total noob so forgive me if I'm not understanding the situation. Couldn't the problem be solved by using an auto reversing module at the wye? If so would the Digitrax AR1 be the way to go? I'm interested in this because I'm planning on having 3 wyes on my layout and this is...
  12. A

Walthers modulars

I just ordered two of the #2 building for the sale price. However the $10.00 packs don't seem to be on sale, per the Walther's website. Anyhow, I'm anxious to see the kits first hand. Then I can brainstorm some kitbashing possibilities! :D
  13. A

Altoona X-ray laboratory

Thank you Ronzzr11!, Very good detective work! So it seems the lab was located in the foundry area, located close to 9th Ave. and 12th St.? Do you happen to remember from your visit, If that building WAS a foundry, specifically which one it was (ie: the gray iron foundry, or the brass...
  14. A

Altoona X-ray laboratory

disregard, double post Sorry! :eek:
  15. A

Altoona X-ray laboratory

Hello everyone, I'm in the early phases of planning a PRR layout that will feature a compressed version of the Altoona facilities. I've found lots of good info on the general layout of the buildings circa 1930. However my layout will be based in the transition era, and one of the buildings I...

Back