Building the PRR Indiana Branch 1950 (Photo Intensive)

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Steve B asked a question about the buildings on my layout so I thought I might start a thread.

Here is the current plan for the layout. I realize not while my selective compression is off and although I don't need to change the trackwork, I will have to adjust the street locations and some of the rim structures will fall off the layout.

Indiana03.gif

What is going to make this layout interesting is that most of the buildings on the layout were destroyed in 1964, when the whole place was leveled to make way for the Courthouse, Police, and Fire Department Complex. However, some of the more interesting buildings were left standing. Still I need to find photos of the buildings at the time they were standing. This has proven challenging in that the local library and the Indiana Historical Society have little in the way of photos. Recently however, I heard that a stash of uncatalogued photos was donated to the Historical Society and that I might be given access.

Anyway, I fear my research has only started.

But let's start with the buildings still standing. Use the building code on the layout plan for reference.

6--The Indiana Community Building--Now the Indiana Free Library and home of the Jimmy Stewart Museum. This will be the tallest structure on the layout and probably the second hardest to build. But since it is still standing, I should be able to get a good representation.

building01.gif

building02.gif

I have pictures of several other buildings mostly houses and several other non-descript buildings that have been heavily remodeled that I am not including here.

18. Lauderbach, Barber and Company Wholesale Produce & Fruit--Now the Indiana County Annex Building--This building is highly misrepresented on the layout plan and should include both 18 and 19. It is a very long building that would go off the layout as drawn. I may have to abbreviate it's length on the layout.

building03.gif

This may be the first building I attempt to scratch even if I cannot find pictures. Even though it has been remodeled, it looks as though the windows are the original shape. If you look closely, you can see where the warehouse doors were located and I assume that the line that separates the basement from the building was the height of the dock.

building03a.gif

20. Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corporation Offices--Now houses the smaller courtrooms used for civil litigation. This I suspect will be the hardest building to build accurately. Check out the detail. The third picture is a relief that is repeated all around the building. I don't know how I'm going to put it off...yet.

building04.gif

building04a.gif

building04b.gif

Now we start the what I have of the destroyed buildings.

4. Stewart Hardware. Because of the fame of Jimmy Stewart and the fact that Indiana's current publicity theme is the home of Jimmy Stewart, I suspect that if I keep digging that I will be able to get some good representations of at least the front of the building. What to me is interesting is the interior area of the block, where it looks like contractors drove their trucks to pick up building supplies. Pictures of that area might be hard to come by, but we'll see.

building05.gif

building05a.gif

10. The PRR station. This photo was taken of the Indiana Gazette paperboys, but still gives a pretty good detail of the station

building06.gif

All of the photos have the look that the last photo has of the ground area leading me to believe that the paved areas might be brick, but in asking the old-timers in the area, I only got vague recollections like, there was around the station house, or around the freight house.

In this aerial photo taken in 1938, look at the areas around the station and freight house and notice how extremely bright they are. My suspicion is that these areas are yellow brick. However, other photos, such as the one above, make me think that there was a combination of yellow and red brick and that the streets are red brick. Although, I have not seen a lot of red brick in the buildings.

Indiana1938a.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I guess everyone is waiting for pictures of the layout. this is how it stands as of 11/18/07.

The over all dimensions of the layout are 30" by 156"

PRR0006.gif

The bus line is #12 solid wire and the feeders are #18 solid wire.

PRRwiring01.gif

The track is Atlas Code 83 and the turnouts are #4 Fast Tracks using Micro Engineering Code 83 rails. The fact that I didn't use ties--I thought all the turnouts were in the street except one--might turn out to bite me. Looking at the second picture of Stewart's Hardware and the picture of the station above, you clearly see the rails.

PRR0008.gif

I added Oak fascia so I could mount the Hump Yard Switches.

PRR0009.gif

PRR0010.gif

Thanks Josh.

This weekend was pretty grueling. I only got 8 of the 10 hump yard switches done. The first 6 were singles and took about an hour a piece. The last four turn two turnouts each. The first double took 3 hours. The second double took 8 hours. Everything that could have gone wrong did.

The following shows the cable work for three of the switches. I know it looks ugly, but when it is covered in brick or whatever is in that part of the layout, it will look just fine.

prr0013.gif

I also got the backdrop cut, the backside painted midnight blue and the front painted with the base coat. Tomorrow, I'll take my camera and try to sneak into a couple high rise offices and get pictures of the background land structures and the older larger buildings that would have been around in 1950.

prr0012.gif

Chip, WOW!

It's looking great. You are researching the heck out of this little layout. If you can pull off some of those building front you have posted, my hats off to you.

Keep up the good work.

Chip,

That's looking great so far! Was the coal company building really as ornate as the one in your photos back in 1950? That looks like something that may have been added during the rebuild. I can't imagine a coal dealer having the money for that type of architectural adornment.

Chip,

That's looking great so far! Was the coal company building really as ornate as the one in your photos back in 1950? That looks like something that may have been added during the rebuild. I can't imagine a coal dealer having the money for that type of architectural adornment.

There are several such corporate offices in this area. This one is the most ornate, but one of the largest buildings in town was another coal companies corporate offices. Coal in my area was extremely lucrative. Even today, there are more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the state.

Besides, the county would not decorate it this way as all the other new buildings are much less ornate. I think they were preserving this one.

I found a picture of this building in a history book, but I could not at that point copy it. I know that book is in the library as well, so I'll try to make a copy I can post.

From a modeler's point of view, it's a real pisser though.

Chip, I wonder, if you could get good pictures of those ornate pieces at the same time of day, if you could print them on cardstock rather than trying to actually reproduce them? If you can get a sunny day with the right shadows, I'll bet it would work.

Those hump yard switches look pretty cool but that's a heck of a lot of work for a turnout.

Chip, I wonder, if you could get good pictures of those ornate pieces at the same time of day, if you could print them on cardstock rather than trying to actually reproduce them? If you can get a sunny day with the right shadows, I'll bet it would work.

Those hump yard switches look pretty cool but that's a heck of a lot of work for a turnout.

That's a great idea. It might even be photoshopable.

If I had to do it again, I would make all the turnout have their own controls. But there is still a lot of work from start to finish for the switches. But the look is great for my era and a caboose in the middle of the street would have looked horrible.

This week I got the first layer of the backdrop. I had to mount it early because I'm moving from my office into a home office I am building and I have to rearrange my furniture to get my server set-up. My house will now have a Novell network and business DSL. Anyway, here is the base color installed.

prr0014.gif

I went up on top of my office building and took a couple pictures that will be the model for what it will eventually look like. The first is the view that will be the behind the above photos.

layoutview02.gif

The next will be the view off the staging area. Eliminate the steeple in this picture and the big courthouse in the first. The courthouse is in the location of the layout on the map.

layoutview01.gif

The above photos are taken on a cold clear day. This painting I did looks more like what the sky looks like in summer.

painting02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm movin' right along there Chip! Those shots from the rooftop are excellent for a backdrop; however, the jet vapor trails crisscrossing the sky in the second one probably wouldn't "fit" in a 1950 setting - I guess that's why your doing the sky painting yourself, I see Julie has taught you well! ;)

Hmmm movin' right along there Chip! Those shots from the rooftop are excellent for a backdrop; however, the jet vapor trails crisscrossing the sky in the second one probably wouldn't "fit" in a 1950 setting - I guess that's why your doing the sky painting yourself, I see Julie has taught you well! ;)
I was trying to figure out how the jet did a perfect 90.

Very cool Chip!

The REAL work of this layout is trying to figure out what I need to know to get it right and then figuring out how to find the information. The roadblocks to this layout seem to me mostly informational.

The question on contrails is interesting. It's not just jets that leave contrails. Any hydrocarbon exhaust above 26,000 feet or so will leave a contrail if the atmospheric conditions are right. Even wingtips can cause a vapor trail as they disturb the air and drop the temperature enough to cause condensation. The 707 and the DC-8 were both in service by 1958 but the DC-7's and Constellations often flew at altitudes high enough to leave contrails. I can remember laying on my back on the grass in the summer and watching contrails form and disappear when I was about 10, which would have been 1956. There probably weren't as many as we see today but a contrail or two still wouldn't be out of place in the mid-50's.

Sorry, just a little meaningless trivia there. :) Chip, if you can reproduce that rooftop view of the town with the hills in the background, you'll have a really neat layout.

Those is pricey!!! But cheaper than a bunch of tortise switch machines... Thanks for the link!!

Are they? I used them because ground throws just wouldn't look right in the street. But let's look at the cost. I have 14 turnouts. If I went the cheapest commercial way possible, ground throws. I would have spent $4 per turnout.

The hump yards can throw two turnouts. I bought 10 turnouts for $70. Six threw a single turnout and 4 threw doubles (cross-overs) $5 per turnout.

On the other hand they are a lot of work. I spent 3 hours assembling and mounting the switches to get then where you see them. Then the fun began. The single switches took an average 1 hour to connect and were pretty straight forward. The first double took 3 hours to connect and the second took 8 hours. I still have two left.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently difficult about what it takes, but the instructions are an exploded diagram and with no clues or tips. You have to figure everything out.

So far the throws have been positive and tight But until I get the other two connected, I can't run anything to really give it a workout.

Back