Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's my turn to have a bad day. First I discovered a crack in the ceramic liner for the slow cooker. Parts are no longer available for this 50 year old model. Wife can't decide whether to ditch it or just buy a box of plastic bag liners. I'll let her deal with that.
Second, the weight of the tractor/mower broke my incoming water main about 8" from the house, on the meter side of the cut-off valve. I had to race (walk fast) to the other cut-off valve next to the water meter, 240' away to shut it off. Thankfully the plumber said he'd be here this evening. Meanwhile I drug out the emergency jug in case he doesn't make it.
We had water about an hour ago, thanks to the Jolly Dream Team plumbing company. They're a husband and wife team that lives about 6 miles
away.
1712016415017.png

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with chores and doing my laundry. In the train room I cut all the tower parts off the sprues, smoothed out those cut spots then rattle canned everything in light gray. Wednesday is a dental teeth cleaning then I only have a cavity filling to do before dental is done for awhile. I'll be getting a haircut this week also.

Thank you for the photo likes a couple of days ago. (nighttime shots)

Karl- Layla is a real cutie. Is she named after the song? Our first skunk was named after Stevie Nicks.

Mac- Interesting steamer.

TomO- I hope you enjoyed the family meal.

Terry- Good luck with the tires.

Guy- Nice modeling.

Bill- Cool photo.

Troy- Enjoy the convention and good luck with the sales.

Willie- Nice scenes and great family photo.

Swal- The real video is awesome.

David- Nice scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.
That steamer is one of several narrow gauge machines, which worked the colieries and coal breakers in Panther Valley owned by Lehigh Coal and Navigation. Same entity which ran Lehigh and New England Railroad.

Good morning!
View attachment 185304
View attachment 185305
South Shore #1100 & 103, June 8, 1947
(Charles Able photo, from Hoosier Valley RR Museum collection.)
If I didn't know better, I'd almost wonder if the handrails atop the cab didn't make this...doodlebug?...a "London bus style 'double-decker?'"

Except I actually don't know better, so I'm asking. WAS it an actual double-decker? For passengers?

Tom everyday I've played this year has been on a cold windy day. I'm tired of it. This week is no different. Cold all week. I would like to play on a warm no wind day once.
Swal
Another sport of mine has me sitting a lot out in the cold, I wear two pairs of socks in boots a size to big for me, I wear winter thermal underwear and layers I wear a neck tube I can pull over my mouth and nose to keep my breath warm and fingerless gloves and warm gloves in my pockets as an option and a hat sometimes with flop down ears if expecting it to be miserable, my jacket has sleeve extenders I can put my thumb into then to gloves so no wind issues a flask with a hot soup that you can warm your hands on and have a dip from does not go amiss as I am not a tea drinker, good clothing with wind stitching is a good investment, not sure if it would effect swinging arms but I doubt it I may look like I am much bigger than I am but boy I stay toasty, a small foam seat folding like a book if I take a rest so no damp clothes, check out -30 clothing. Or -15 nowadays it does not have to be real bulky if you can afford golf you can afford warmer clothes lol

Have been up for almost 1.5 hours already. Just cannot sleep, so might as well post someting!
50 degrees and we are hoping for 75 with sunny skies later on.
I happened to muster up enough energy yesterday to check and refill such things as brake fluid, antifreeze, oil, and windshield fluid. The tires and brakes look good, so the daughter will still use the car while MOH and I head to Ontario for my treatment. We do plan on spending a few nights there.

I guess it is too early for FLO and MEL - let them sleep - they push it almost every day!

If I didn't know better, I'd almost wonder if the handrails atop the cab didn't make this...doodlebug?...a "London bus style 'double-decker?'"

Except I actually don't know better, so I'm asking. WAS it an actual double-decker? For passengers?
It's an overhead line car for inspection and maintenance. It still exists in the Illinois Railway Museum, having been retired in 2004.
South Shore 1100

South Shore Line 1100 is an overhead line car with a rooftop platform for workers maintaining the overhead trolley wire, or catenary, used by the South Shore Line.

Edit: I see Willie posted before me.

Good morning all. A quick visit to the hospital this morning. Arrived 9.15am. Had chest x-ray and out before 9.30am. I will not know the results until the doctors says. Trouble is they hardly tell anyone. I will have to contact them sometime this month.

Ah well. I see Flo is in. A mocha coffee please and a blueberry muffin.

Good EARLY Morning All!
41F @ 62% clear and dark.

Woke up at Midnight30 and ran outa sleep, so been cruising the forum.

Did another CostCo run yesterday as Maria wanted more dirt. 6 more bags of the stuff you can barely lift. We are now up to our s'ssA with the stuff. This will keep her busy for a few days planting veggies. Can't go wrong - 50 quarts for $7.99 ( last visit ) and $9.99 yesterday. Our dirt sux, mostly clay and not easy to combine with sand and loam. We do have some good top soil which comes from what I call 'dome building'. I will get on the tractor later and take the top 4 to 6 inches off the pathway getting to the train cave. It seems to grow every spring a few inches and only in 2 locations. Oh well.

me: I will have a whiskey
speaker: I am sorry sir, this is McDonalds.
me: Great, then I will have a McWhiskey!

Found another pix taken earlier this winter:
1231220925.jpg

Y'all be good now, ya hear?

Later

Morning all,

39° and drizzly this morning, high of 56° later. Might get sunny again near evening.

Another day closer to schedule change. I'll be working 4 10 hour days instead of 4 9 hour days and a 4 hour Friday. The extra day out will help the gas bill a bit, and I think will help me a bit to relax (I hope). Give me more time to feel like I can get caught up with things around the house anyway. Off this Friday as I have updates to do on Saturday. Primary control servers can get updated through the week. They contain no active files and I can do them as long as I do one at a time. Issues occur when they are both down at the same time. It helps, as while they are the smallest servers, they somehow take the longest to update. Go figure.

me: I will have a whiskey
speaker: I am sorry sir, this is McDonalds.
me: Great, then I will have a McWhiskey!

We have a regional chain that has various Margaritas available at their drive through. They don't skip the alcohol either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back