Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all.

Just getting online this morning and reading about the terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

On the home front, looks like the monsoon of rain is finally out of the area. Haven't ventured out to see the amount. I would have to estimate 2.5-3" fell in the last 24 hours.

I'm still waiting on my container shipping notice from Scaletrains. I paid for my pre-order last Tuesday and still have no shipping notice. So much for the 3 day max shipping.

Everyone be safe!

Good Morning Again!

36F @ 82% and snowing - big stuff. I will try a pix, we will see. Some of those bigger blobs are almost 2". Welcome to the end of March.

IMGP0894.JPG

It is not sticking, but I digress.

Made 3 full truck dump runs yesterday; mostly metal and construction crap; and got mo done on the honeyDu list.

Later

[puts on journalism hat]

In a tragedy with the impact of the FS Key Bridge in Baltimore:
1. Anything you hear in the immediate aftermath is not to be trusted. look at images, but don't infer.
2. News outlets will report ANYTHING someone tells them if that person is official looking. Trash collector in a City of Baltimore jacket? Yep... "An official noted..." This is a symptom of the race to 24 hour news cycle dominated by the "Scoop" mentality.
3. Tomorrow, you can start trusting what they say. today, listen for words like "un-verified" and treat everything as if it were so.

Willie: Underlying cause is stress... Starting mid April I'm working a 4-day week. I don't really think the extra hour will make a difference, but the extra full day off will. The doubling of the med is to get the BP back under control. Stress is the reason I was first diagnosed with hypertension in the first place.

Last edited:
It has been reported on other sources as well.
NBC News
The Guardian Scroll down a bit.
AP News

Doesn't mean that the governor knows what he's talking about though.

I saw a video on YouTube from a consultant or other SME who works in the shipping industry and he did a play by play on what is known based on the marine tracking and the "live" video that was captured. He said lots is unknown but did confirm both through the video (lights out) as well as from the radio broadcasts known that the power went out on the ship. The marine tracking shows the actual path relative to the shipping channel and bridge and the reported speeds from the tracking second by second.

I saw a video on YouTube from a consultant or other SME who works in the shipping industry and he did a play by play on what is known based on the marine tracking and the "live" video that was captured. He said lots is unknown but did confirm both through the video (lights out) as well as from the radio broadcasts known that the power went out on the ship. The marine tracking shows the actual path relative to the shipping channel and bridge and the reported speeds from the tracking second by second.
Saw some interwebs chatter that the ship was hacked.
Did a quick research and it's possible to knock a maritime vessel into complete uselessness.

I hope Louis wasn't out making Amazon deliveries early this morning.
All is well here in Dundalk, on dry land that is.
I think that it may have been maybe an hour too early for him, although with Louis, one never knows.
You are right, we don't hit the road until 2:30am. By then the bridge was gone and the roads leading to it were closed. I heard on the radio that the ship collided with the bridge at approximately 1:30am. The report we heard said authorities did receive notice of the ship having lost power and closed the bridge just before the collision. The Baltimore office of the FBI was among many investigating. Dozens of agencies and first responders from all over the state were on the scene.

We do occasionally use the Key Bridge. It is a shorter way home if we finish in northeast Glen Burnie. Or if we are delivering in the sparrows point area from Elkridge.

In addition to the Key Bridge there are two tunnels under the Patapsco River. Both were experiencing heavy delays by 7:30am. No hazmat cargo is allowed in either tunnel. Not even propane tanks are allowed in the tunnels. Now they must go around or through the city to reconnect with Interstate 95. This tragic event will have a lasting impact on cargo in the northeast corridor. Not to mention the Port of Baltimore.

From the beginning the focus has been on saving lives, as it should be.

The bridge was in the approximate site where Francis Scott Key was held prisoner during the (futile) British bombardment of Fort McHenry. And where he wrote the "Star Spangled Banner".

The Bridge may be down but the Star-Spangled Banner Yet Waves!

Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 67F and currently 81F. I did some chores before heading to the dentist. My mouth is still numb, so I don't know about pain yet. After getting home I painted detail parts not wanting to deal with electrical hookup of Wiley's. Tomorrow, I have a blood draw first thing in the morning then MOH and I going out to breakfast.

Louis- I am very happy you and Angela are OK. Prayers for the families affected.

Troy- That just shows you're getting older. 😲

Willie- Nice scene.

Karl- I'm fluent in English, Sailor and Sarcasm. Nice job on the calf unit.

Tom in MO- Congrats on the new purchases.

Bill- Nice photo.

Mike- I hope you get your order quickly.

Tom- For some reason that picture gives me the creeps!:eek:

TomO- Sounds like a train vacation to me!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Appreciate the recognition! Thanx for that.

Temps where you are seem like paradise - then again, as a 4-season person and absolutely not a summer-time-guy . . . 'nuf said.

One positive "thing" about my experiences with pain is that eventually, it will dissipate!

Enjoy!

Tom in Missouri

Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 67F and currently 81F. I did some chores before heading to the dentist. My mouth is still numb, so I don't know about pain yet. After getting home I painted detail parts not wanting to deal with electrical hookup of Wiley's. Tomorrow, I have a blood draw first thing in the morning then MOH and I going out to breakfast.

Louis- I am very happy you and Angela are OK. Prayers for the families affected.

Troy- That just shows you're getting older. 😲

Willie- Nice scene.

Karl- I'm fluent in English, Sailor and Sarcasm. Nice job on the calf unit.

Tom in MO- Congrats on the new purchases.

Bill- Nice photo.

Mike- I hope you get your order quickly.

Tom- For some reason that picture gives me the creeps!:eek:

TomO- Sounds like a train vacation to me!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back