Northern Pacific Rocky Valley Branch Switching Layout Build

Okay! Well it seems that a couple months have passed since I last posted...My model railroading had been put on hold while I focused on my new job which has been going well. I was struggling to find the motivation to continue on this 1 x 6.5 ft build but alas I have found some! The last time I did work on the layout I wasn't thrilled with the results and was contemplating making changes. However, after a couple months of not even looking at the layout, I feel confident in moving forward with the build.

I took some time yesterday to button up the components of the layout and see what it looked like fully assembled, something I hadn't even done until now. With everything together, I like how it is turning out and have decided to head to the Amherst Railway Society Train Show today to hopefully get some additional items for the build. Here is what the layout currently looks like with all panels assembled and LED lights installed.

IMG_6343.jpeg

I need to make a few adjustments as it seems the panels have shifted a bit but other than that, it’s good to go!

Last edited:
Had a great time at the train show! I managed to pickup a few items but couldn’t find everything I needed.

The items I did acquire are some ballast, foam turf, and weathering powders. I was looking for some wooden grade crossings and the Woodland Scenics Road Building Kit but I couldn’t find either of those. I will have to go ahead and order them.

IMG_6412.jpeg

IMG_6414.jpeg

My plan moving forward is to tidy-up some of the track work and clean it. After that, I plan to paint the blue backdrops with various background scenes. I am thinking just mountains in the distance with cloud cover but perhaps I will add in a few details here and there as well. Once those are painted, I’ll seal it all together with some dull coat to take away the shine on the boards from the paint.

Made a little progress today on the layout! I spent about an hour staring at the layout and trying to decide the next steps. I ultimately decided that the rural grain elevator kit I originally chose wasn’t going to work anymore. I planned to modify it and make it work but it would have been such a waste of a nice kit.

Instead, I will most likely get some kind of a background structure or keep it really simple and utilize only the wooden loading dock as the single rail-served industry of the layout. I began working on that loading dock kit today.

IMG_6420.jpeg

The kit wasn’t too difficult of a build! My plan is to stain the wood using diluted acrylic paints and then finishing off the weathering with some powders and clear coat.

Instead, I will most likely get some kind of a background structure or keep it really simple and utilize only the wooden loading dock as the single rail-served industry of the layout. I began working on that loading dock kit today.

View attachment 180680

The kit wasn’t too difficult of a build! My plan is to stain the wood using diluted acrylic paints and then finishing off the weathering with some powders and clear coat.
Model a team track. :)

Attachments

• 9cfea146ea60037ea49683dc405b22d0.jpg
    9cfea146ea60037ea49683dc405b22d0.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 14595714133_416128657c_z.jpg
    14595714133_416128657c_z.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 23
  • d2b3786f96aca85dc76579ee52d21666.jpg
    d2b3786f96aca85dc76579ee52d21666.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 22
  • ad742b8a1091a7b35af3d65a379728a9.jpg
    ad742b8a1091a7b35af3d65a379728a9.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 21
With the loading dock complete, I am trying to decide the best place to put it. I’m leaning towards the lower track as seen in the picture below, but I’m also considering the upper most track closest to the back drop.

IMG_6421.jpeg

I have also gone ahead and utilized a remaining section of track that I had to create an older section of track no longer being used in the “yard”.

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg

The original concept of this layout was to incorporate both a lumber yard and grain elevator but since I have chosen not to modify the Walthers Rural Elevator kit as mentioned previously, I will focus solely on the lumber industry with representative structures/details. I will go ahead and use the loading dock as a team track to allow for more operational potential but the layout scenes will mostly be specific to the lumber industry.

The left side of the layout with the inglenook lead will have a scene focused on the lumber yard/storefront as well as other countryside scenes and the right side will be focused on the rail yard with unloading/loading of cars and associated scenes.

IMG_6425.jpeg

I’ve spent a good portion of the week trying to decide on the next steps for the layout. I was planning on painting the backdrop this weekend but I wasn’t sure what look I was going for. I want to model a small town with the main focus on a team track to allow for a variety of rolling stock, but I also feel it might be best to allow for another industry too if I can.

I found an article discussing a rural town community and the associated rail activity it had each day. The photo in the article is representative of the idea I’m going for.

IMG_6440.jpeg

Here’s the link for anyone that wants to read it: https://www.trains.com/mrr/how-to/prototype-railroads/small-town-railroading-in-the-early-1950s/

I've put together a quick schematic of a possible structure configuration for the layout. I am hoping this plan will allow for some operational interest using JMRI, my preferred software for switching cars. I've ultimately narrowed it down to three scenes I'd like to have which include a country/farm scene, a "downtown" district, and an industrial park.

1 x 6.5 inglenook.png

1 x 6.5 inglenook 3D.png

After some googling, I believe I found the kits I will use for each scene of the layout. Working from left to right, I plan to use the Walthers Cornerstone Chicken Coop and Farm building set for the farm scene.

chicken coop and barn.png

For the general store or "downtown" district, I plan to use Walthers Cornerstone Smith's General store kit.

smith general store.png

For the coal transload I plan to use the Walthers Cornerstone Old Time Conveyor pack.

old time coal conveyor.png

Lastly, for the oil distribution center I plan to use a combination of the Walthers Cornerstone Industrial Tank Detail pack and Oil Loading Platform set.

industrial tanks.png

oil loading platform.png

Back