Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy I thought the Vikings never left England but were turned in to Christian there which became England.
Swal
They raided and traded all around Northern Europe and the British Isles. What they did to Lindisfarne (one of their first raiding forays into the British Isles) was atrocious. That was a monestary, and there was worse than the pillaging and killing.

There is an excellent podcast if you need something to listen to while modelling. The British History Podcast. The host tells the story of the Brits from the ice ace on, in chronological order. I stopped listening about the time of the Viking invasions, since that's where my stories end. But it's on my "I should get back to that..." list of pods

And in other news, I'm awake (since about 2:30)

My tinnitius is getting loud again.

Started digging through my meds' side effects to see what the cause might be, and if there is a pharmaceutical connection. Doc says my tinnitus was probably connected to my taking GERD meds for almost 20 years. But not having stomach cancer is better than no tinnitus.

So... what has changed that might have ramped it up?

Hmmm... That little blue pill... "Check with your doctor right away if you have a sudden decrease in hearing or loss of hearing, which may be accompanied by dizziness and ringing in the ears."

No sudden loss of hearing... but I will be speaking with the doc about it.

He'll tell me to lose weight and get more active. He always does, so nothing new there.

And, now I'm in the recliner, with the big can head phones listening to a tinnitus scrubber, trying to train the brain to turn the volume down a bit.

Good morning!

1706609133227.png

Crazy world we live in isn’t it
Yes, really. Yesterday, the wife,in her position of POA, went to make a Cash Deposit into her mother's account. The Bank, required her to present the Debit Card as ID, plus show her drivers license before they would accept a less than $250.00 cash deposit. They also asked her where she got the cash, to which the wife quipped, "Your ATM", which flustered the Teller, so much the manager came over....The bank has a transportation connection, and is frequently fined by the regulators for their internal indiscretions. The description of your daughters encounter sounded so much like the same bank.

I really hope she can resolve this and recover her money...

Morning all,

37° and clear with a high of 64° expected today. It was nice yesterday as we got to 68° and didn't need the coat or jacket as that's what we keep the house at.

Going to be a crazy day here at the nuthouse. I'll be losing my temporary office at 8:45 and will be out of it the remainder of the day. So I'll have to find another location to work from. I get to play hide and seek on the clock. Supposedly the carpet for my office was due in yesterday. No carpet in the building yet. It needs to acclimate 24 hours before they can lay it. It's a carpet tile, so who knows. Then they can lay it and it needs to sit 24 hours before I can move in. Since I'm off Friday for server maintenance on Saturday...I'll probably have to find a hole someplace to update the machines.

BBL

If you change them and not make them the same for every site like you really should...I can see it. We get password reset requests all the time for "I changed my password yesterday and don't remember it".
My wife has a system of writing a password on a scrap of paper and shoving it in a drawer. Eventually, whatever she made the password for logs her out.

Now which drawer did I put that in... finds them three drawers and 50 password scraps later... which one of these is the current one????

Yeah... I guess I can see it.

Morning all,

37° and clear with a high of 64° expected today. It was nice yesterday as we got to 68° and didn't need the coat or jacket as that's what we keep the house at.

Going to be a crazy day here at the nuthouse. I'll be losing my temporary office at 8:45 and will be out of it the remainder of the day. So I'll have to find another location to work from. I get to play hide and seek on the clock. Supposedly the carpet for my office was due in yesterday. No carpet in the building yet. It needs to acclimate 24 hours before they can lay it. It's a carpet tile, so who knows. Then they can lay it and it needs to sit 24 hours before I can move in. Since I'm off Friday for server maintenance on Saturday...I'll probably have to find a hole someplace to update the machines.

BBL
Would they let you work from home? When we remodeled our offices my team and I were on the constant move. But, HR coordinated where we would be everyday and it was posted weekly. But that’s a private business, not government! Sorry, not sure what I was thinking

How does one man forget his password so often?
Alzheimers ?
Seriously I don't know, he's on another forum and doesn't seem to have the problem there, but your laptop should remember the password for each site automatically, at least mine does, even when I change it, which isn't often, only Amazon, PayPal and my Bank get changed often and I get a text asking if it's me if I'm on the laptop and using the fone I need fingerprint and pin to log in.

Last edited:
Good morning from my last day in Wisconsin, for a while. I will be on Hilton Head Island, SC. at about 8pm Eastern. Here at home it is 37f degrees and that is the high for the day per the WeatherChannel app. Hilton Head is 42 going to 59 today.

I will take Terry to the airport around 1. She is heading to Austin. Today is my cleanup day at home. My golf clubs were shipped out Friday and I have confirmation they have arrived. A few packages to send out this morning at the post office. The 2 college ladies who will stay in the house while we are gone arrived before dinner last night. They seemed to have driven the long and slow way from campus yesterday so last night I gave them the best and rarely busy way.

Seems like I’m ready

Would they let you work from home? When we remodeled our offices my team and I were on the constant move. But, HR coordinated where we would be everyday and it was posted weekly. But that’s a private business, not government! Sorry, not sure what I was thinking
I can work from home...sort of. I am on a DSL link, so 5mb service is what I have. I also can't help people with phone calls or see them at their desk as easily. We do have cable internet in the area, but I refuse to give them any more business after poor service at another home we had them at. Every time a new house would be built behind me, my cable would get cut and I'd have to get a bill and contest it because they didn't put the lines in the utility easement. Easier for their contractor to go point to point with the wire instead running the extra in the easement (underground utilities).

Good morning gang!

Today it is 34° and windy, only going to 39°

I stayed home today. Yesterday was miserable at work. My ear hurt, my throat was scratchy and no matter what, I was cold all day. Today I woke feverish with a headache and ear pressure. Enough of this 💩 I've got a DR appointment at 12:30! Hopefully it is not the Wuhan funk. Meanwhile the dogs are looking after me like hawks. They are not used to Daddy being home without Momma!

BillT, That NKP #765 is truly a think of beauty!

How does one man forget his password so often?
Maybe it has something to do with being bi-lingual? Like he sets the password in French, but remembers it in English?? Or vice-versa? 🤷‍♂️

BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and 46° this morning. Yesterday was 73°, higher than predicted, today it's supposed to be 72° and the next few days as well. Rain maybe around midnight Friday will cool us to the lower 60's. Sure was great having two days in a row with bright sunshine...looking forward to the rest of the week.

I did too many household chores yesterday morning, but that means less today! After lunch I did tasks in the yard for a while, including organizing and consolidating the various remaining firewood piles for the season. Looks like I estimated correctly which is a good thing. Garden is still too wet to till, although it is fine if I want to do any cultivating with the hoe or pitchfork.

Yesterday I got a statement from the IRS showing that they paid me $23 in interest for being so late sending me a refund. I now have to pay tax on that interest! That is if all of the stuff considered taxable income adds up to the taxable level. We've been tweaking stuff with money out of savings and money market which is not taxable. The RMD that I was required to take should not put us into the taxable bracket and has already been put into money market. So far in January, the stock market returns on my retirement accounts has been 1.75%, equating to 21% annual return if it keeps up. The taxman will start getting a big chunk early in 2026 since I have to take major RMD's beginning next year. Unlike Mike, my tax preparer wife has always waited until April to do our taxes!

Short day out in the train shed yesterday, but at least I got a little time. I did start to assemble the other half of the cemetery fence, I now have about 16" of the 21" needed for the final assembly. Then it's time to install it on the two sides that are going to get this version. The front along the road will have the split rails and stone pillars and I have decided that I will not put any along the backdrop. It will be disguised with vegetation instead. Inspecting and cleaning railcars is on temporary hold and I did finish up the layout cleaning project with the last few vehicles and structures yesterday. Besides the fence today, I have three more freight cars that will have the McHenry couplers exchanged, two tankers will get Kadee #119 shelf couplers, and the other will get the #148's.
Archives again today. Here are three more of the structures that I got from Chet's Logan Valley layout. I have only added figures to two of them so far.
IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_3608.JPG

Chad - We used the "submerge & zip" method on the two previous occasions, but it wasn't necessary on this brisket. It just worked out without it.
Patrick - That AHM switcher looks like quite a project.
Mike - I think that the student loan fiasco really needs to be shut down. There are probably a few that should be forgiven because of fraud on the part of the lender, or those who follow he rules regarding public service, but pay your damn debts.
Grizzled - Neat pictures.
Curt - Thanks for the comment. I did that one all by myself.
Tom O - Sorry to read of your daughter's misfortune. I hope that it will be a lesson learned. Presumably all money will be restored, but the time and effort will be difficult in some cases. I keep no banking information on either my computer or phone, although my wife does have a banking app on her tablet.

Re: Passwords - I have a real problem understanding what the problem is. I have been on this forum for nearly 13 years now. I still use the same log-in and password that I set up the day I joined. While I use other log-ins and passwords for other non-model RR sites, Firefox remembers them all if I want it to.

Today's musical birthday is Phil Collins who is 73. I was actually never a big fan of his but I do like most of the music from Genesis.

Everybody have a great day.

Troy I thought the Vikings never left England but were turned in to Christian there which became England.
Swal
No. The Vikings (Danes) did stay a while and control a portion of the island called the Danelaw and assimilated but the Angles and Saxons were the ones who stayed and became Christian and become the forefathers of the English. This was pre Viking Age.

All the groups are distantly related as Germanic tribes and shared some common language and cultures.

My suggestion but never followed by the daughter. DO NOT keep ALL your financial information on your smart phone. Get rid of Apple Pay and any other app you can use the wallet on the phone to pay things with. Do not tie your PayPal, Venmo or any other app you pay with to your bank accounts. If you must use those payment apps ( I use PayPal) tie it to the credit card, not the bank checking account.

It's unlikely to be Apple Pay (credit card) as that does not use actual account numbers but tokens. IF you linked your bank account for Apple Cash that could be a vector but typically you don't share passwords or anything like that. Its just the routing number and bank account.

If you have a credit union that lets you set up multiple checking, have a checking that is only used for Paypal or Venmo (I don't use Venmo as I worked at a competitor and Venmo was very insecure and unprivate at the time) etc. Transfer money into that special account as you need it. With the account number and routing number they only have access to that account per the ACH system. Not through any online banking. But they can't take money out that is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back