Electro-magnetic uncoupling?

chimmike

UP and BNSF freelancer
Has anyone done this? I'm just leery of placing an uncoupler magnet in the track that could uncouple cars every time I pull a train over it......

I'm wondering if there's a way I can make an electro-magnetic uncoupler, flick a switch, uncouple the cars, bam (in true Emeril fashion).

yup.

I'm looking at doing a bunch of small detail stuff like this.

getting sensors in the tracks to switch signals appropriately, etc.

Actually I'm working on electromagnetic uncouplers too for HO KaDees since I think its the most powerful magnets U can get. I found a couple on e-bay but lost the bidding :(, so now unless I find some on e-bay for sale I will try do them myself, its not so hard, just have to use the right wiring, so not to get high current on them.

will it not be too big for n-scale, and it'll work with micro-trains couplers?

If so, thanks for the easy solution! :)

Why spend money on something I can make? I will spend money on items which I'm not able to make with my hands :)

Max;

IIRC, MR had an article by the late Gordon Odegard, on this very subject. He was MR's "resident" N-Scale expert, and wrote many articles on improving the N-scale "experience".

I suggest you and cmike go to the magazine index at Trains.com, and do a search on electro-magnets or Gordon Odegard. this will give you the title of the article, along with the month and year. If available you can get a back issue from MR itself or locate one by some other means.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back