Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone.

our snow did materialize. Looks like maybe 3” so far haven’t looked to see how much total snowfall we are going to get.

IMG_1021.jpeg

Good morning from a lightly covered in white stuff So. Central Wisconsin. 2” on the ground already since 4am when I 1st got up and looked, the ground was still green. No more green but the white is pretty but I have no plans to drive in. Accumulation should stop around noon per the weather app. The musical we have tickets for (we switched dates from Thanksgiving) should have the roads cleared by time we leave at 6:30.

The grandson has a hockey game at 9:30am about 8 miles away. Terry wants to go and I said I am not driving in this stuff. It’s the 1st real snow of the season, therefore I feel no need to play Russian Roulette with the drivers who won’t remember snow is slick no matter the vehicle you drive.

We have a walkway from the house down to the stables that is partially covered in sections but is completely radiant heated. I have to check why it’s not melting, there is not that much snow! I will wait till noon when the snow is supposed to stop. Then decide if I clear the driveway with the snow blower.

There will be some trains run today. I have been in the train room maybe 1 hour a day since last Wednesday and starting to have withdrawal pains. Need to solve that this morning. The train room has no finished ceiling. I like the look of the floor beams painted black exposed. In 2 previous houses and layout areas the ceiling was finished this way and I had very little (really none) dust issues on the layout. This house and layout is a whole another issue, I have dust! Got 2 insane quotes and 1 that I am thinking seriously about. The son and I were texting and he said check the filters in the air handling system because he knows we run a fan 100% of the time. The house is radiant heated. The AC in this house is the typical vent system. The electro static filters are almost as clean as the day they were installed in July. I left a message yesterday for the HVAC contractor to come and check this out. Partially my fault for not checking sooner but I have the check off list for house occupancy and the cooling and air handling system is not even listed!

enjoy your day

I remember those we used them for crossing protection that had the cantilever out over the street
If I remember the base was about 5 or 6 inch thick by 5 x 5 ft so much fun
Here's what happens when a car decides to meet up with a crossing gate
This foundation was for a train signal on the NS west of Ft. Wayne IN. We were doing system upgrades on that line.
I, also, worked on many crossing installations (new installs and upgrades) during my time with the NS. ;)

Afternoon all,

Made it to the daughter's just as the heaviest snow hit. Took 2 hours to drive back. Mostly because I was following the local daughter as she is like her mom and hates driving in the crap. Not much locally when we returned, but it is catching back up to us.

Not much else going on.
Just by chance, Is your daughter and Spousal Unit BLOND?

A blonde driving a car became lost in a snowstorm. She didn't panic however, because she remembered what her dad had once told her. "If you ever get stuck in a snowstorm, just wait for a snowplow to come by and follow it."

Sure enough, pretty soon a snowplow came by, and she started to follow it. She followed the plow for about forty-five minutes. Finally, the driver of the truck got out and asked her what she was doing. She explained that her dad had told her if she ever got stuck in a snowstorm, to follow a plow..

The driver nodded and said, "Well, I'm done with the Wal-Mart parking lot. Do you want to follow me over to Best Buy now?" 😁

Well, howdy there internet peeps.

Wife made holiday cookies yesterday, and I had to frost them. Well, she doesn't do frosting. She makes her own butter cream icing. It's yummy but different than what I grew up on. That was just powdered sugar and milk. Wife called it a glaze. I told her it's at least double the sugar to milk ratio she uses in a glaze.

Not sure what you grew up with, but I've learned to not complain and just frost/ice/glaze whatever sweet things she puts in front of me.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of cookies missing by now... They just jump into the bowl I'm carrying whenever I pass through the kitchen.

cookies.jpg

And, poor wife realized today that her scratchy throat due to dry air (I run multiple humidifiers this time of year, our air isn't dry)... nope she's got a cold. or whatever is going around. Covid test negative so far.

And, since I have to drive my mother to 2 (count them, TWO) doctor appointments tomorrow, I'm avoiding getting close to her, and washing hands often. I'll probably sleep in the recliner just to give myself a better chance of dodging what she's got.

Oh, and it's snowing in NE Indiana. Here's a pic to prove it. I got my cookie fuelled, one-mile walk in right before the snow hit, but the walks were getting slickery by the time I got back. I might have to shovel the front walk, and the patio. Since the Amazon drivers come in the back gate, I want to make sure they've got a clear path to get the package out of the weather and away from porch pirate gaze.

snow.jpg

Oh, and we've got two of those black cat cutouts attached to the fence. Wife insisted they needed Santa hats. So she made a couple.

They are cute.

Working on the railroad today. Started on what i consider the most attractive scene in all of railroading:
IMG_20231126_121342479.jpg

The turntable is a bowser kit i picked up at a train show. Anyone know where the terminals are located on this old Pittman motor?:
IMG_20231126_121800105_HDR.jpg

The turntable fits snugly in its space. Roundhouse is just standing loose for now until i make exact measurements from the center of turntable;
IMG_20231126_121308478.jpg
IMG_20231126_121501613.jpg
IMG_20231126_121606974.jpg

Her name was Snowflake.

We had a good run with the elf. It was a lot of fun hiding her, and a few days before Christmas she he would bring small gifts.

One year we traveled to Colorado for Christmas and we carefully hid her in the suitcase and the next morning she magically appeared in Colorado. She was amazed and thrilled.

Two years ago was the last year with the elf but she still wants it out and displayed so I’m good with that.
That is a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing it.

My youngest grandson, Ayden lived with us. I often forgot to move his Elf; Smiley is his name. Ayden once said to me "Poppy, Smiley did not move" I said "Hmm, maybe he is like me and prefers to sit in the same place" My grandson never mentioned it again when I had forgotten to move the Elf.

Ayden ended up having a total of three Elves. I had forgotten what box I packed the original Elf, Smiley in. I quickly ran to Walmart after he went to bed. All they had were team Elves. He now has an Elf with an Orioles jersey. His name is Oriole. (He gets his creativity from me) While I was shopping my wife found Smiley. He was surprised and pleased to see both Elfs the next morning.

The third Elf never got a name. He filled in for Oriole (uncredited) one year when I had forgotten what box I packed Oriole in. That Elf was repacked in his box, like new and has been given to his 10-month-old old brother Kristian.

Ayden now lives with his mother, brother, and stepfather. But he wants the Elves to stay here with my wife and me. It's his home away from home. He no longer believes so we put out both Oriole and Smiley as Christmas decorations. Smiley is sitting on the TV stand in the living room and Oriole is sitting on Ayden's computer desk in the family room. I will switch them before he comes to visit again. He has never touched either of them, but he enjoys seeing them and like you I am good with that.

Good afternoon gang, and to all counting snowflakes I say this, keep em to yourself!! 😉 :D I like snow, just not yet. The outside decorations wont go up til next weekend.
I did finish the installation of the new video panel/garage door opener yesterday after work. I also added the "MyQ" app on my phone so that I can operated the garage door from anywhere, or can talk to anyone outside the garage, just like our "Ring" doorbell at the front door.
IMG_1460.JPG

Here's what I see on the app. Between this and the Ring video doorbell we've got good coverage of the area between the 2 doors. Now SWMBO wants cameras all around the house!:rolleyes:

Snowman, glad to hear the "proud uncle" report. I have heard many horror stories of college and beyond expenses of late. Son #4 is in a biomed program himself and has benefitted hugely from various scholarship programs. I shudder to think of how big of a hole he could have dug for himself. I wish every success for your nephew!

Sherrel, my SWMBO is blonde, so I had to quietly chuckle to myself rather then laugh and suffer consequences.

Kriegslok Give me 5 minutes and a meter and I will find you a set of contacts! Neat turntable, and also can't think of a railroad scene better than a roundhouse full of steamers!!

On emails, I just use Gmail. It works on my I-phone, my PC, and my tablet.

Geek out

That is a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing it.

My youngest grandson, Ayden lived with us. I often forgot to move his Elf; Smiley is his name. Ayden once said to me "Poppy, Smiley did not move" I said "Hmm, maybe he is like me and prefers to sit in the same place" My grandson never mentioned it again when I had forgotten to move the Elf.

Ayden ended up having a total of three Elves. I had forgotten what box I packed the original Elf, Smiley in. I quickly ran to Walmart after he went to bed. All they had were team Elves. He now has an Elf with an Orioles jersey. His name is Oriole. (He gets his creativity from me) While I was shopping my wife found Smiley. He was surprised and pleased to see both Elfs the next morning.

The third Elf never got a name. He filled in for Oriole (uncredited) one year when I had forgotten what box I packed Oriole in. That Elf was repacked in his box, like new and has been given to his 10-month-old old brother Kristian.

Ayden now lives with his mother, brother, and stepfather. But he wants the Elves to stay here with my wife and me. It's his home away from home. He no longer believes so we put out both Oriole and Smiley as Christmas decorations. Smiley is sitting on the TV stand in the living room and Oriole is sitting on Ayden's computer desk in the family room. I will switch them before he comes to visit again. He has never touched either of them, but he enjoys seeing them and like you I am good with that.
I think we had as much fun with the elf as she did!

Sounds like you had great memories with it as well.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with some chores, did some thinking about the crane scene then watched the movie "The Queen". I've seen it a couple of times before but love the movie.

I think I'm going to use a 44 Tonner I have as the diesel with a engine change. I already have one that runs like crap, so no loss. I think all I will need to get is a 3D printed diesel.

Snowman- Congratulations to your family. That is a great accomplishment.

Todd- The sushi sounds good.

TomO- Enjoy the musical.

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

Mac- Love the bridge photo. That will be a focal point on your layout. All the TT's I have installed (2) have been Walthers offerings.

migalyto- That is a scary scene in your yard!

Bill- Nice depot photo and signals in others.

Troy- The cookies look yummy.

Louis- You must be getting disillusioned to watch that movie!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back