Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those of us who now have no desire to move to Florida.

Because, You know, gators, bad delivery drivers, Florida Man, and autopay...

It's Troy again....

Had a morning where the cat woke me up at 4 ish, and I smelled coffee. Since I prep the pot the night before, I sometimes accidentally hit the auto-brew timer button. At 4 am, I'm not mentally equipped to remember what time the coffee pot is set to brew to (I checked, it's 6 am, just in case I hit the button on accident). So I got up.

And I pushed the brew button because I was up.

Got another reading tonight, at a real bookstore here in the Fort. This one comes equipped with kitties! Gotta love a bookstore with kitties.

My reading at the Boozy Book Club in Niles Mich was fun. A local news reporter was there, and I might get a write-up in the local paper. He even had me stand in front of the brewery wall sign and pose for a pic. The photojournalist inside of me shrieked. Don't POSE your subject 🤪... why didn't you get an action shot or two when I was waving a book around?!?

But, it's free publicity. Smile and pose! Earned media (the kind without advertising fees) usually has a hidden cost. For me, it's having to pose for a photo. :eek:

If anyone is in the area, Hyde Bros Books in Fort Wayne has their Last Thursdays event with a reading by (this month) two local authors. And kitties.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 5.19.15 AM.png

gotta pet the shop kitties.

I'll be reading from at least one of my stories. It's Halloween-themed, but I may leave it at a cliffhanger spot, and divide it into two readings. One of my other series features a magical bookshop with a vampire cat... hmmmm... We'll have to see.

Good morning. It's 70 and clear.

I'm not against autopay, I think it's a good way to not forget to make a payment, especially with the other part of the equation, which is paperless billing. If you never get a bill, how are you going to remember to pay it? And of course, if you never get a bill, you never remember to cancel that subscription for that service you never use...

Good afternoon, each and every one of you. Still warm and humid here. Those in the know say it's going to get cooler, we'll see. I did get some train running time in today. Me thinks a little track cleaning may be due. I'm still playing / learning this AI image thing using the latest Edge browser update. If you have it, you really need to try it. I have learned to use the word "realistic" in the description of what I am asking the image to have. The more descriptive you are the better.
Sample
View attachment 175941

View attachment 175942

View attachment 175943

STAY SAFE
LATER

Absolutely stunning pictures. Thanks for posting

Morning all,

Had a bit between 2 to 4+ inches of rain, depending on where you are. While Wichita proper had flood warnings, due to all the concrete runoff, most of the rain soaked in. I never really saw any water in the rural ditches or noticeable rise on any ponds. Many of those have been dried up or had so little water that it would have really rained heavy for a week or so to make any difference.

The older I get the more I'm mentally ready to retire. Just can't afford to quite yet. It was announced that we're getting a new personal float holiday next year. They took Columbus day away years ago to give us the day after Thanksgiving off and with the addition of Juneteenth, that puts us 2 holidays down from the state, so we get a float.

Oh well, I have new hires to get set up.

BBL

The "new" and only way here is to set everything to autopay from your bank account. Period. No exceptions. You want internet service? Set up autopay, or don't apply.
You want car insurance? Set up autopay, or go somewhere else, we don't want you. You want a bank account? Set up direct deposit for your paycheck, and at least 4 autopay drafts a month, or go somewhere else, we don't want you. My rent has also got to be autopay, or I can find another place to live.
Oh, and the autopay for my car payment and personal loan had to be autopaid, or no loan. And because it was from an out of state bank that didn't charge monthly fees, I had to pay a payment fee every month. Things have sure changed here since I lived in Tampa last.
So, to review:
Car insurance: Autopay or nothing.
Bank: Auto Deposit and auto transactions, or nothing.
Car loan: Autopay, or walk.
Personal loan: Autopay, or beg for money.
Cell phone: Autopay, or prepay by autopay, or no phone.
Internet service: Autopay or nothing.
None of that for me. I kept it under my control. Ex was trying to have everything on line. Car and all utilities paid by check, house mortgage: cash. The only thing automatic is internet and it's not a necessity. People need to wake up an realize that this is exactly what the Good Book writes about-sign of the beast.

Good morning gang!

48° when I climbed into the truck this morning, heading into the lower 70s today! Nice!

Tossed another Bowser cement hopper kit together last night while watching videos on the puter, Still waiting for TV parts, supposed to arrive Friday before 9 p.m.. Wife was watching some 90 day Fiancée show on her phone. It kills me these young bucks that think they can mold a woman to their will. Kinda like baptizing a cat, it usually does not end well! 😁

BBL

Hatfield Dam in Merrilan, WI(Jackson County). Water was over it last night. Started washing the UP railroad away.View attachment 175944
Mike, great picture you shared. I didn’t realize you guys and west of Marshfield were getting that much rain. We’ve gotten rain in the Madison but way under an inch.

Were was all this moisture when the farmers needed it this past Summer?

The only thing automatic is internet and it's not a necessity
But today, it is a necessity, which is why Altice charges me a hundred bucks a month for it. The only outfit that I have autopay with, is AAA, for car and home insurance, and even they allow checks. Problem with checks is they can play the we didn't get it game, and sit on them to generate a fee. Businesses,small and large are greedy and dishonest. Most get away with it, and in most cases any consumer protection was erased by deregulation. The insurance business is especially greedy...there is no way car insurance should be mandatory - I mean only a fool would drive with out it, but lobbying government to force the consumer to buy your overpriced product...? Especially when the mandatory insurance laws only apply to Personal Injury and Liability, not the vehicle...and in Jersey at least, do not restrict your right to sue, only the amount of insurer liability...

Good morning! WOW, auto pay issues, medical dilemmas, book readings (congrats), dams overflowing, UP tracks…

It rained again over night but the 2 weather stations on the property about a mile apart don’t even come close to matching. 1 shows .10” of rain the other .80”. I will check the beaker out front sometime this morning. Today is layout day for me. No weathering, painting or repairs just something to do on the layout. I asked the daughter yesterday to fire up her 3d printer as I want some conveyors for the new “small” paper mill. I am starting structures and first up is a small paper recycling mill. Paper in for recycling (no logs) with the “new” pulp sent down the tracks to the “big” mill. There was a similar operation in Wisconsin Rapids between Consolidate Papers (now closed) and their mill across the river in Biron, Wi.

Some train running today and then I will cut in a switch to where the 1st industry will go. I have everything I need.

Later this afternoon a trip to Michael’s for a couple new paint brushes. A trip to the LHS for whatever I find on my list and dinner out with my friend the coach and his wife. Our wives are traveling tomorrow heading first to my sister in Pasadena. Quiet will return

I pay for everything on autopay. I like the convenience and the discounts! Not to mention I can't forget to make a payment.
I do not like auto pay, it's like letting some shyster businessman hold my wallet...I do schedule payments through my bank, (Direct Debit), but I maintain complete control. As long as there is competition, the business will do it my way, where there isn't, (internet), they get their way...Then I have to determine if I really need it.

But today, it is a necessity, which is why Altice charges me a hundred bucks a month for it. The only outfit that I have autopay with, is AAA, for car and home insurance, and even they allow checks. Problem with checks is they can play the we didn't get it game, and sit on them to generate a fee. Businesses,small and large are greedy and dishonest. Most get away with it, and in most cases any consumer protection was erased by deregulation. The insurance business is especially greedy...there is no way car insurance should be mandatory - I mean only a fool would drive with out it, but lobbying government to force the consumer to buy your overpriced product...? Especially when the mandatory insurance laws only apply to Personal Injury and Liability, not the vehicle...and in Jersey at least, do not restrict your right to sue, only the amount of insurer liability...
Yeah the auto insurance guys tried withdrawing their share once. I have it set up to send in a check once a year to pay for entire year. I got on that phone right away and chewed them out, had no problem since. All these so called agencies are a bunch of greedy a..holes.

Good Morning All , still from Gulf Shores AL, where it is partly cloudy and 69°. Despite 15 mph + winds, there is a heavy dew all over everything. At home, that kind of wind dries the dew faster than it can form, and this strong wind here has been blowing all week! Rip current warning is still in effect and the red flags have been flying since Monday. The folks in the house next door were out in their inflatable canoes yesterday with no life jackets. The beach patrol came by and made them get out of the water or get a ticket. Back home it's raining and 68°, with 0.7" since midnight. Yesterday saw 2.45"; so the four day total since we've been gone is now at 5.26"' I may now have water in my pond for the first time since April. There's rain in the forecast at home all of the way through Monday. I'm not sure that it's all still the remnants of Hurricane Norma from the Pacific.
It looks like a couple of nights below freezing at home starting Sunday night. Before I left the house for this vacation trip, I brought in enough dry firewood for about 24 hours, along with two starter boxes. Once the fire is going, more wood placed underneath the stove will dry in a couple of hours, as it only gets wet on the outside. First freeze looks to be early this year, as our average first frost is 11-22. Hot (very hot) and dry summer followed by a cold wet fall is not unusual.

Returning to the Traintastic Museum in Gulfport MS, here's are a few of the American Flyer layout.
IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

They also have a large display of Kinex stuff. Part of the display was visible in one of yesterday's post. Here's a close-up of one item.
IMG_0674.JPG

I'm really not sure of it's connection with model railroading, but they had it at the old place and the kids are always impressed.
Now a few more random shots of HO scale stuff that I can't remember the details of.
IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

That's it for now, because I can't stand this horrible upload speed here. Wife is bugging me to join the housemates on the deck, but I can see three of them with their heads and hands in their phones texting, two more just quietly sipping coffee and occasionally picking up and glancing their phones, and one who's out jogging along the beach. Talk about excitement! :eek: I'd much rather be on this forum.

James - Great pictures yesterday. Were any taken on your property?
Terry - No ACH payments from us, with one exception which is Frontier Waste, who provides the dumpster and pick up service for us. Not sure why my wife opted for that option with them but she mails all other bills. She has never missed one either. She does manually pay some through direct debit, but mainly the Amex card and biannual insurance payment. Most if not all bills give a 30 day due date and a 10 day grace period, and many give a discount for early payment. Our bank is still a small town user friendly bank that has a lot of farmers, ranchers and rural customers who don't trust big banks. We also do not do paperless billing except for the trash company.
Curt - The shark was a small one, only about 3' in length, but was really a sight to see. I could tell that it was really freaked out, but the next big wave came in less than a minute.
Yes, the population is dumbing down in my observation. It is especially prevalent when getting change at any establishment.

Everybody have a great day.

None of that for me. I kept it under my control. Ex was trying to have everything on line. Car and all utilities paid by check, house mortgage: cash. The only thing automatic is internet and it's not a necessity. People need to wake up an realize that this is exactly what the Good Book writes about-sign of the beast.
SpoT on there, MAC! It's coming - the day when the political winds blow in the direction of a "cashless" society.
The 87,000 'new" IRS agents are a piece of the puzzle.
Absolutely stunning pictures. Thanks for posting
HUGHIE - agree with DAVID 100%! That is as pretty as a picture, or painting ... surreal.

59 degrees this morning and looking for 69 as a high with partly sunny. We had a whopping
0.16 inch of rain.

My bank IS a credit Union. GTE credit union.
And if I want home internet, I HAVE to use T-Mobile, and I HAVE to have ACH bank account autopay. There is no other option, it's them or nothing, and they know it.

T-Mobile doesn't force you to use auto pay in general. They sometimes offer "advantages" to you if you do have auto pay. I used to get an auto pay discount with my T-Mobile phone service and paid using credit card. Worked for years. This year they said if I didn't convert my auto pay to ACH or a debit card I'd lose my auto pay discount. Instead, T-Mobile lost me and 6 lines of service.

There are other "cell" based (5G) internet services with a home base station besides T-Mobile. I think I've seen Verizon offering it. Maybe your trailer park doesn't have or allow a direct cable connection but I assume you have landline phone service available? You should be able to get a DSL connection over the landline.

I did remember you had a credit union. Just not a competent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back