IMG_1357.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1343.jpeg
IMG_1334.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg

A Scaletrains GE ET44AH (tier4) Gevo for Union Pacific #2702

Based on the issues I experienced with the last 5 ST diesels, I separated the body from the frame.

I sprayed body the body and framework with VMS matte clear varnish (clear coating), let it dry a couple days under a plastic microwave cover tray (to prevent dust)

I sprayed the frame work and trucks with a Tamiya custom sandy mix

Xf-78 Wooden deck tan 70%
x-2 White 25%
x-21 flat base 5%

thinned the mix 50/50 with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol

The body was clear coated BUT NOT faded beyond whatever the clear coating provides (client request)

The screens on the side panels with painted with straight Vallejo Air #71.057 Black

Along the edges of the filtering screens I used a wash of Vallejo burnt umber 50/50 mix with tap water. i also brushed this mix on the front plow and steps

A work still in process

I did add after texting with the commissioner the 50/50 burnt umber mix to the truck frames
IMG_1714.jpeg
IMG_1715.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1717.jpeg
IMG_1718.jpeg
IMG_1719.jpeg
IMG_1720.jpeg

I need to clean up the back porch
IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_4882.jpeg

UP 2702 is up for fading. The client DOES NOT want this unit to be very weathered, barely light but wants a fade. Yellow is tough to fade (for me) as when I use a white to fade it sometimes doesn’t fade enough. When I use a yellow fade mix it just doesn’t seem ok to me.

So, back to Tamiya’s X-21 base fade.

Full strength brushed on. I let it dry about 30 minutes and I then go back and brush off the powder it leaves behind. It leaves a nice IMO fade which should pretty good for this unit
IMG_4883.jpeg
IMG_4884.jpeg

and the currently playing tunes
IMG_4885.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg
IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1905.jpeg
This is a Athearn Blue box C44-9w dummy

I started this late Sunday night basically taking the body off the (neededYou Tube to figure out how) frame and then disassembling the rest. The fuel tanks, side trucks and the frame have been sprayed with a matte finish clear coat.

The railings are the old style metal that Athearn used to use and they are GLUED in place. This may or may not be a fun time. The sand fill cap on the left side of the nose was/is gone. The steps will be replaced (2 are very damaged). The wheels are plastic (will be changed to metal) and he wants a PTC array added to the roof. Who ever owned it prior to selling it to my client added Kadee coupler bronze springs to the coupler box but used a pair of couplers that had whiskers on them, meaning no Kadee spring was needed. Finally I will add some weight to this unit. This will hopefully go out the week of Christmas as that is when the client would like it shipped. Since I will also be gone much of November and parts of December this will be worked on before other locomotives

These are photos from John K Pack as posted on Rrpicturearchieves.com. These are the inspiration for this project
IMG_1901.jpeg
IMG_1902.jpeg
IMG_1903.jpeg
IMG_1904.jpeg

This morning I delivered the body to a friend who will add LED lights to the nose and rear plus a wiring harness connecting to its running mate

I noticed when I was figuring out which 3 engines I was going to run on the coal train that 3465 didn't have the wheel faces painted rust color like the other 2. All set now.View attachment 176875
Hey, can you back up and give a step-by step on what you did with this one?

(Yeah, I’m modeling the C&O steam era, but I’ve got a staging siding under a mountain, where the time-space continuum fractures, and some modern CSX comes out to play.)

I’ve got three CSX ET44AH’s (two Scaletrains Rivet Counters, and one BLI), and when I do get to my first locomotive weathering, a very light look like this, is what I want to achieve.

Hey, can you back up and give a step-by step on what you did with this one?
Tape off the windows and lights to start. Then I airbrush dull coat, use to use Model Master but now I use the Microlux or Vallejo dull coat. Then I use flat black to paint the grills on the sides of the engine. Next I use Vallejo earth to airbrush the trucks and the lower half of the body (front and back too). A little of Vallejo desert tan to highlight on trucks. Last is airbrush grimy black around the exhaust stack, vents on the side (light blend) and light on the trucks to blend.
IMG_4143.jpg

Tape off the windows and lights to start. Then I airbrush dull coat, use to use Model Master but now I use the Microlux or Vallejo dull coat. Then I use flat black to paint the grills on the sides of the engine. Next I use Vallejo earth to airbrush the trucks and the lower half of the body (front and back too). A little of Vallejo desert tan to highlight on trucks. Last is airbrush grimy black around the exhaust stack, vents on the side (light blend) and light on the trucks to blend.
View attachment 177243

Thank you for the lowdown on it. Is the flat black for the grilles painted on by hand? And do you use it straight, or thin it to any kind of wash?

X
View attachment 177243
A great description Tom and a beautifully done diesel

This arrived the other day. Not exactly my cup of tea as to how it was previously weathered but overall I like it. I will be re-doing the fuel tank and plows. Trying to talk the client out of changing the sound from Tsunami2 to ESU ver.5. He is waffling but does agree with the speaker change to Scale Sound Systems.

The client purchased this as he has 2 dummy Gp 60’s here getting weathering and lights and wants the 3 to match up. They will be used in his Long Beach, Ca. harbor scene
IMG_2226.jpeg
IMG_2222.jpeg
IMG_2223.jpeg
IMG_2224.jpeg
IMG_2225.jpeg
IMG_2227.jpeg

After these 3 are complete I no longer will be doing Decoder switch outs, speaker changes or decoder programming. Xcept for me!

IMG_3533.jpeg
IMG_3532.png
IMG_3531.png
A project starting after the 1st of the year

It’s the last of the SP gp40-2’s still in SP colors but with UP patches

I should have the base unit here on 12/18. Pull the motor and put in LED’s lights and add working ditchlights all powered by a rechargeable via track power battery

This is exactly the type of project I wrote about that i no longer would do. He will allow me to document as I go along, slowly and an offer to good and a fun project to say no to

HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS UNIT in the LA AREA. Any additional pictures would be appreciated that are later then 2020 of which there are many online

The 3rd picture is what we are going for…

photo credit I believe for all 3 pictures is railpictures.net but not sure if the credited photographer for each picture is known, these were sent to me

lol…UP ex SP looks like the Hobo Road…

and I like it!
It does looks like it’s gone through hell and back. But being in LA I’m surprised that all the regular locos aren’t messed up like this. It’s sad that UP doesn’t take pride in their equipment.

It is going to be a fun challenge and I am looking forward to it

Back