Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 75F and very humid. I ran several errands with Dad this morning. After lunch I did some reading on the Pennsy which is always a worthwhile time. I'm not sure what's happening tomorrow in the afternoon, but I have a bunch of chores in the morning.

Sherrel- I'm about 45 minutes from two VA facilities here. One is a newish hospital with a large ER and has all the services as a civilian hospital, and an older facility that just got a facelift that has a more limited-service availability, but my doc is at that one. Generally, I'm very happy with the care I receive from them. In the past about 80% of VA appointments were for Dad that I needed to drive him to. In the last couple of months that number is almost all about me.

Joe- We're lucky in Orlando to have 2 good facilities available.

Tom- New furnace/AC units are definitely not cheap.

Willie- Do you have a city large enough for that building?

TomO- Enjoy your vacation and safe travels. MOH likes to switch drivers every 2 hours then complains if she has to drive through a city. :rolleyes:

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon all,

Getting my 2nd wind just before going home!! Yeah!

Interesting news and very cool!

I've seen this locomotive for years, but never been to that museum myself. Just haven't had time to go there. It's on the east side of downtown Wichita. I thought it was just a local story.

I'm going to try to paint yet when I get home. Once that room is complete, I'll be closer to having more of the house done.

Louis: Doesn't help when you wake every couple of hours with your arm numb. Probably shouldn't be doing some of what I'm doing.

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 75F and very humid. I ran several errands with Dad this morning. After lunch I did some reading on the Pennsy which is always a worthwhile time. I'm not sure what's happening tomorrow in the afternoon, but I have a bunch of chores in the morning.

Sherrel- I'm about 45 minutes from two VA facilities here. One is a newish hospital with a large ER and has all the services as a civilian hospital, and an older facility that just got a facelift that has a more limited-service availability, but my doc is at that one. Generally, I'm very happy with the care I receive from them. In the past about 80% of VA appointments were for Dad that I needed to drive him to. In the last couple of months that number is almost all about me.

Joe- We're lucky in Orlando to have 2 good facilities available.

Tom- New furnace/AC units are definitely not cheap.

Willie- Do you have a city large enough for that building?

TomO- Enjoy your vacation and safe travels. MOH likes to switch drivers every 2 hours then complains if she has to drive through a city. :rolleyes:

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt.

We generally switch off every 2-3 hours. The only big city in the last 5 years that I can really remember Terry driving through was back in May going down to Austin, she drove through Fort Worth. She absolutely refuses to drive through Dallas! She will drive the toll roads around Chicago but will not drive downtown or the expressways. Anything over 750,000 people SHE considers big

Thanks Curt.

We generally switch off every 2-3 hours. The only big city in the last 5 years that I can really remember Terry driving through was back in May going down to Austin, she drove through Fort Worth. She absolutely refuses to drive through Dallas! She will drive the toll roads around Chicago but will not drive downtown or the expressways. Anything over 750,000 people SHE considers big
Going through Ft Worth is the quicker and shorter route by 12 miles, but their "mixmaster" (with two US highways, two state highways, IH30 and assorted local streets) can be a bit trying during traffic, especially if you don't drive it regularly enough to know the nuances.

Afternoon all,

Getting my 2nd wind just before going home!! Yeah!

I've seen this locomotive for years, but never been to that museum myself. Just haven't had time to go there. It's on the east side of downtown Wichita. I thought it was just a local story.

I'm going to try to paint yet when I get home. Once that room is complete, I'll be closer to having more of the house done.

Louis: Doesn't help when you wake every couple of hours with your arm numb. Probably shouldn't be doing some of what I'm doing.
Could be swelling pressing on a nerve. Rest until the swelling subsides.

I hope you feel better soon.

Going through Ft Worth is the quicker and shorter route by 12 miles, but their "mixmaster" (with two US highways, two state highways, IH30 and assorted local streets) can be a bit trying during traffic, especially if you don't drive it regularly enough to know the nuances.
When we leave Witchita I am driving. 2-3 hours later we switch and Terry gets us through Fort Worth and we switch in the City of West, Texas. After being very slow driving through FW a few years ago you mentioned the express lanes. She has had great success since then. When we started driving to Austin, FW was building all those fly overs. I think walking would have been faster back then. Terry is an excellent driver but Dallas really rattled her the 1time she drove it.

Anyone know if one of these is "Very Rare" I doubt it myself, but thought I'd ask our more knowledgeable members.

1695764749097.png

1695764676999.png

Seriously thinking about it, but where would it fit, HO N. American freight train or a OO UK one?
Maybe you need to invest in a Japanese locomotive and some freight...

There are many to choose from from steam to modern electric. Here is a diesel switcher and (some) mainline and side lines diesel.

About $107 shipped to the USA. I would suspect the UK would be a similar shipped price but don't know how the JPY is to the GBP right now nor what Amazon charges for the UK. (Always choose to pay in JPY as long as your credit card does not charge international conversion fees)

They have freight as well as passenger on Amazon. KATO, Tomix, Tenshodo are the main H0 players (Japan is mostly N scale)

:)

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who had a yummy supper.

It's Troy again.

Took a nap this afternoon. I must still be catching up on sleep from the conference last week. Been sleeping into 5 (an hour later than normal) and still needing a nap.

Wife wanted a good dinner with lots of pasta for leftovers, so we went to our second favorite Italian place. More expensive and bigger portions than the favorite, otherwise food is just as good.

Wife's Chicken Parm:
374555519_6698245143575936_4006577966561814143_n.jpg

My Calzone with lots o meat!

376894446_6698245070242610_7478124015834292860_n.jpg

Tomorrow is doctor driving day. Wife and her sis drive the "honorary sis"/loooooong time family friend (and roomie to sis) down to IU Medical for the interview to get on the liver transplant list. Knowing how bad she is with her medical issues, she just barely qualifies for the list. :eek:

And I get to drive the other direction, to take my mother to the doc for her 6 mos checkup. Speaking of liver transplants, my mother got her transplant 25 years ago. It's her heart trying to do her in, not her current liver.

I'm still struggling to get back to writing. Been doing all of the admin stuff, shopping, and everything but wording the words. Need to tackle that tomorrow morning. Hope to get it going.

Safe travels to Tom O and everyone else on the road tomorrow.

Evening all,

Well, It's done, killed the wife and torched the house for the insurance money...oh wait, that was last night's movie plot. 🤣

2nd coat of paint completed. Massive dose of ibruprophen taken. I'll still have some cleanup to do, but the paint is on the wall. Once the floors are done in the 2 bathrooms, we're putting new toilets in almost immediately. The basement has to have a special toilet as it is only a 10" rough in. They're more expensive than the 12" rough in everyone else has in stock. Looking at the American Standard and Toto units as they have some in my price range. The old ones have enough lime scale to really make them hard to clean. Not buying the least expensive as I would like to remove the plungers from the bathrooms, but still looking at about $300 per unit.

Oh well, next 2 weekends will be watching grandkids and pets, so I'll lose the time from painting. Still have other things that can be done in the meantime.

When fish are in school, they still take debate.

Have a good evening.

Just learned my boyhood idol, Orioles Third Baseman, Brooks C. Robinson passed at age 86. When I started following the Birds in the 60s, Brooks was already the Best Third baseman in the Majors, and In My opinion, no one else will ever claim that title from him. RIP Brooks. Thanks for the memories.

Willie

Eisenhower Museum in Abilene, Kansas
Truman Museum in Independence, Missouri
Midwest modelRR in Independence, Missouri
exploring Kansas City with friends
exploring Springfield, Missouri with friends
St. Charles, Missouri for 2 UW WIsconsin hockey games
exploring St. Louis, Missouri
Lansing, Michigan Women’s VB
Art Institute, Chicago
Kenosha, Wi friends

This should be a fun trip if the weather cooperates as the predictions indicate
What, only one train stop. I guess the exploring part of the trip could be hobby shops. 🙂🙂
Have a safe trip Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back