Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used Mazda GLC when I lived in Germany. It was like an 84 or 83 or something. I bought it in 92 after having been in a 64 car pileup on the autobahn in the fog. No fatalities but lots of wrecked cars. Idiot rammed into a truck in the fog and then more idiots ran into the people stopped behind them. This happened in a few waves. I was stopped and got rammed into. I had just gotten on the autobahn the exit/on-ramp before too.
Was that the wreck near the Kassel Driecke, think it started when a car drove into a milk tanker in thick fog ?

My first car was a 1974 Porsche 914 that I got in the summer of 1983. I had it for about 3 months. On the way back to college from Thanksgiving break, the oil pressure light came on and it started to act strange, so I exited teh highway in Zanesville, Ohio... Called a towing service and waited for my parents to show up to take me back to college. I was about half way into a 3 hour drive from Central Ohio to the smallest college in West Virginia.

Turns out an oils return line cracked. For some reason, the shop decided it had to remove the whole engine, but one of the mounts was seized, so they used a torch to try and break it free. Their shop almost burned to the ground when someone used a bucket of water to try and douse the flames which just spread the fire...

In hind sight, that was a huge blessing in disguise, as their insurance paid me for every penny I had into the car, including teh $400 stereo I had just installed. That was a NICE stereo back in the early 80's! Practically doubled the value of the car, LOL!

Good Morning All. Low fog but sunny and 64° around the SFW estate. These low fogs always impress me. This one is all within 6'-7' of the ground, and will burn off rapidly. Standing on the porch, I can see over the top of it. Misted and drizzled all day long yesterday for a total of 0.4", most of which fell in the middle of the night thunderstorm. I was still able to pick English Peas in the garden, I'll be back at it after the dew disappears. Not happy with the yield so far, Mother Nature screwed things up with the back to back 95°+ days the previous weekend. Perhaps the cooler weather for the next two weeks will kick-start the plants into producing new flowers.

Both daughters and their families showed up yesterday, unannounced, to celebrate Mother's Day with Mom, and they stayed until after supper. So I basically got nothing done after Mass and picking peas. I only went to the train shed for a few minutes because my granddaughter wanted to run a train. Her attention span lasted all of 8 minutes!

So here are a few pictures from the archive this morning. Animals everywhere.
IMG_7132.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG

David - Interesting video from the Beamish Open Air Museum.
Louis - I only bought one car in 50 years with a loan, 0% at the time. Paid cash for every one (maybe 14) of the others. Cheapest was that '61 VW that I posted about earlier today, was $400. Lasted me 6 years.
Guy - During 10th and part of 11th grade, my buddy around the corner had a Corvair that I rode to school in every day. One afternoon, he bought tape and we put a racing stripe on it. Seemed like it went faster but really didn't.

Everyone have a great day. Fog is now gone and we have sun for the first time in a week.

Was that the wreck near the Kassel Driecke, think it started when a car drove into a milk tanker in thick fog ?

No. It was on the A92 just north of Landshut (I had gotten on at Essenbach and I think the next exit, where it happened, was Landshut Nord or something exit). A large truck had just gotten on the Autobahn at that exit and a car just rammed it from behind. It was wedged under the truck up to the windshield. The driver was pretty bloodied but was alive. The rest f the accident was just idiots who rammed the parked people who were stopped for the accident from behind. I had just gotten on the onramp before and had pulled off the road to clear ice from my side mirror and had gotten back on and accelerated quickly to avoid getting rammed from behind when I noticed blinking lights ahead. I started to slow down as it is common for slow moving traffic on the highway to put on their blinkers there. Then I noticed they were stopped and not just slow and had to slam on my brakes. I slid into the between lane on the line area and barely bumped the corner of the car in front of me as I cam to a stop. She was a British lady who worked at the airport and was in the right lane. I was in between lanes and my passenger corner (LH drive cars) like US and continental) barely bumped her rear left light and probably broke it and a minor dent. I pulled into the left lane, as I had slid between lanes, and got out of my car. Someone else parked behind me and then an idiot businessman slammed into him, and pushed him into me, who pushed me into a small car that I was parked behind, which got pushed into a small trailer being pulled by a car. (Garden trailer or something).

I was out of the car by then (amazing I was not smashed or anything standing on the side of the road on the fast overtaking lane side).

I got a ticket and summons in the mail a few weeks later -- basically a "driving too fast for the conditions" and "driving to endanger". I had lawyer insurance, like all Good Germans™ and went to court. It was a combined case with a few others involved. I had some witnesses who had seen me on the side of the road clearing ice (ie, I couldn't have been driving very fast as I had just gotten back on a km before), and also that I had gotten out of the parked car behind the guy and my car was pushed into the guy in front.

In the court, which was not as elaborate as you see British courts on TV -- no wigs etc -- but the lawyers all had their choir robes to put on in the court room, the state's case unravelled after several of the other charged got up and explained what had happened, and after I had explained what had happened, and we all basically agreed, in the major points, and then the main cop who got up admitted they didn't really know what had happened and had pieced together things based on the over head photos of the accident after the fact.

I was tagged as driving to fast and driving to endanger based on the fact I was in the fast/overtaking lane at the end, though I had actually been in the slow lane until it happened and then just moved over to park.

Judge dismissed everyones' case --we had to pay our own costs -- but the case and fines were dismissed.

the actual fine was less than my lawyer insurance deductible by about $15-$20 but I did not have any point son my license.

Morning all! A rather warm and muggy morning here in H-Town. e have a 50% chance of rain. Son and d-i-l are flying back to OR. this morning.
For those of you that might need a little inspiration for weathering stuff, check this kid out.

STAY SAFE
LATER

One of the cars I had was a 1962 Ford Galaxy 500. A real beast, the only way it would get 60 mph was to push it off a cliff.
I had one but it was a bit different It was the Galaxie Lightweight version stock ver shaved frame thinner windows no heater or radio fiberglass trunk lid hood and front fenders a few other things And a first for Ford a Borg Warner 4 speed Came stock 406 ci 405 hp three 2 barl carbs and in the trunk a brand new cross flow intake for two 4 bar holly carbs included That's the first thing that got changed I think they said hp went up to 500 hp or more So 60 mph not a problem I sure wish I could find my picts of it but here's kinda what it looked like

Attachments

• GalaxiesideMecum.jpg
    GalaxiesideMecum.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 42
Ooooo! Good deal on the Digitrax stuff, Terry. If I didn't have a new-in-box Power Cab from NCE sitting here, I'd grab that fast.

Got some words in on the story this morning... Need to do more. Only got 6 weeks left to write this one.

In between, if I get my words done, I get to work on the layout. Today was cutting the sixteen 22.5 inch cross pieces, and four 60 inch piecs of 1x3 to finish the upper deck.

Got the next-to-last open grid section built and installed. Even drilled the cord access hole in all the crosspieces. Got two or three more of those to drill where the upper deck sections connect.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 12.45.28 PM.png

Louis - I only bought one car in 50 years with a loan, 0% at the time. Paid cash for every one (maybe 14) of the others. Cheapest was that '61 VW that I posted about earlier today, was $400. Lasted me 6 years.
Interestingly I paid $400 for a 77 El Camino. It needed a set of tires and battery. I drove it over 40,000 miles without an issue. It had a 250ci inline 6 with a 3-speed column shifter. Best cost per mile I ever got from any vehicle!
1684171197476.png

Mine was green, with a multi-tone rust color.

For the uninitiated amongst us - may I present, The Hillman Imp:

1Qwl8yr.jpg

Pretty nifti car in its day - yep went from 0 - 60 in (sorry what - ohh okay then) it went from 0 - 30 in 10 minutes with a 20 mile an hour tail wind going down hill .... :)
someone earlier said might reach 6o if thrown off a cliff, that would likely apply, four guys could lift and shift it, and did twice, guy I turned down a date and Nate’s popped it between bollards,a bloke I fancied but had a girl friend and his mates lifted it out and told the original four not in their best interest to repeat….it was actually a nice runner, only upgraded as dad gave me his vw Passat estate a decent tank and Saved me when some tit speeding ran into the slide of hit pushing me along the road! I did get a bad bruise on my right thigh as thrown against door but several people said a lesser car may have left me seriously injured

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 68F this morning getting up to 92F today. Started out with laundry then did a couple of chores. My box of tree materials just was delivered to the door. Tomorrow, I need to start out with hedge trimming then I'll get started working on more trees to upgrade the trees on the layout.

Jaz- Very nice looking property.

Smudge- Great detail on the building.

TomO- Although not a fan of graffiti you did a great job. Enjoy your golfing.

Willie- Your granddaughter has a longer attention span than my grandsons did. Now as teenagers if it's not on a cellphone or computer you're bothering them. :( Great scenes with the animals.

Troy- Great progress on the bench work.

I hope everyone has a good night.

My first car was a 1974 Porsche 914 that I got in the summer of 1983. I had it for about 3 months. On the way back to college from Thanksgiving break, the oil pressure light came on and it started to act strange, so I exited teh highway in Zanesville, Ohio... Called a towing service and waited for my parents to show up to take me back to college. I was about half way into a 3 hour drive from Central Ohio to the smallest college in West Virginia.

Turns out an oils return line cracked. For some reason, the shop decided it had to remove the whole engine, but one of the mounts was seized, so they used a torch to try and break it free. Their shop almost burned to the ground when someone used a bucket of water to try and douse the flames which just spread the fire...

In hind sight, that was a huge blessing in disguise, as their insurance paid me for every penny I had into the car, including teh $400 stereo I had just installed. That was a NICE stereo back in the early 80's! Practically doubled the value of the car, LOL!
That's to bad. My dad bought one new in '72. I came and he sold it since 4 would no longer fit. Once my sibling left home he bought it back from the same guy he sold it too. I drove it all they through college and into my first job. This all took place in the north west. Loved driving that car. They are really fun to drive in the snow with stud's all the way around. :) He still has it today. I understand the tight spaces that the mechanics had to deal with all to well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back