Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baseball on radio. I listened as a kid going to sleep to the White Sox with Bob Elson and Milo Hamilton making the calls on my little transistor. Today I can still listen to a game and get that feeling of being there. On TV, it’s just a dull boring game, IMO.
Tom, I also fell asleep listening to baseball on the radio.

I hope those "life things" improve. I wish you all the best.

I became an ORIOLES fan once I discovered that WBAL AM, carried their games and was accessible both day and night, as opposed to after sunset like so many other AM band MLB affiliates. (TV13 was only accessible on very rare occasions). I also have fond memories of my son listening to his Yankees on his portable. Radio was a wonderful way of following Baseball.
The Orioles always had great broadcasters. "The Oriole way" of playing baseball was something special. I'm seeing it again in these baby birds.

Christian That is much like the members of this forum, many are good modelers and many of us are dummies!
Lol...just speaking about myself.
Mikey, maybe we should start a club!;)
We are very proud to announce the Grand Opening of the Official "Dummies Club". Welcome aboard ! 🤣 🤣 🤣

box-car-ext-5.jpg

Last edited:
Good Saturday Morning All. Around here it's clear and 35°, once again the wind is out of the SSW at 0 mph. Temperature will rapidly rise to shorts weather about 0900, just in time for me to make an appearance. Well, I survived Friday the 13th unscathed, how about you?

Not a lot going on here right now. The neighborhood is sorta expanding. My 80 year old neighbor's son moved a single-wide trailer onto dad's property this week. It's actually his property as dad signed everything over to him a few years ago. This young fellow is going to build his own house back there, and had plumbing installed and a slab poured in the fall of 2021. That's as far as he got due to the skyrocketing price of lumber at the time. Now he's decided that he can get more done if he lives out here instead of making the 30 mile round trip out and back every day. He still has the trip, but now it's added to his work commute instead! He and his girlfriend moved in and so far have a bed, fridge and a couch there. He put the trailer where their family home was in the 80's so plumbing/electric/septic was easy. Since he was coming out every day anyway, the only additional traffic past my house is his girlfriend. Urban encroachment!:eek:

Random comments:
While I have always thought that baseball was boring, I didn't realize that so many others fell asleep listening to it on the radio!;)
Since I never played or even seen D&D, I must have missed out on a real time-consuming part of life! What did I really miss???

Out in the train shed yesterday, I picked up where I left off with the quarterly layout cleaning project. I visually looked for lost parts along the right of way, along the north wall. Same as Thursday on the east wall, none found. Then I cleaned the ~60' of track and vacuumed. Even though it has been two years, this section was relatively clean to begin with. Fortunately I don't really have a clean track issue in the train shed, despite it being adjacent to a large pasture and the garden. Dust from the gravel road and plowed field on the other side of it has to travel more than 250' to reach.
Here's the part that I did Thursday, the east wall.
IMG_2747.JPG

Yesterday was the north wall.
IMG_2748.JPG

That is the overall area for this quarter's cleanup. Now I will remove each structure individually and clean them, touch up paint if necessary, and in some cases add some more details. Of course the spaces around the structures and the scenery will also get a vacuuming and rehab if needed.
There's about 60+ structures in this segment, thus the reason for dividing the whole layout into eight segments and doing one every quarter over a two year period before repeating.
Then there's the rail cars and engines...

Sherrel - Probably a good idea to take down the Christmas lights in the shrubbery, as either you or the gardener will not remember and prune the wires.
Troy - There is no such thing as a non-partisan organization. I listen to all sides and then make a decision.
Louis - Congratulations to your daughter.
Chrιstιaη - Did your clubhouse picture change after your initial post???

Everybody have a great day.

Good Saturday Morning All. Around here it's clear and 35°, once again the wind is out of the SSW at 0 mph. Temperature will rapidly rise to shorts weather about 0900, just in time for me to make an appearance. Well, I survived Friday the 13th unscathed, how about you?

Not a lot going on here right now. The neighborhood is sorta expanding. My 80 year old neighbor's son moved a single-wide trailer onto dad's property this week. It's actually his property as dad signed everything over to him a few years ago. This young fellow is going to build his own house back there, and had plumbing installed and a slab poured in the fall of 2021. That's as far as he got due to the skyrocketing price of lumber at the time. Now he's decided that he can get more done if he lives out here instead of making the 30 mile round trip out and back every day. He still has the trip, but now it's added to his work commute instead! He and his girlfriend moved in and so far have a bed, fridge and a couch there. He put the trailer where their family home was in the 80's so plumbing/electric/septic was easy. Since he was coming out every day anyway, the only additional traffic past my house is his girlfriend. Urban encroachment!:eek:

Random comments:
While I have always thought that baseball was boring, I didn't realize that so many others fell asleep listening to it on the radio!;)
Since I never played or even seen D&D, I must have missed out on a real time-consuming part of life! What did I really miss???

Out in the train shed yesterday, I picked up where I left off with the quarterly layout cleaning project. I visually looked for lost parts along the right of way, along the north wall. Same as Thursday on the east wall, none found. Then I cleaned the ~60' of track and vacuumed. Even though it has been two years, this section was relatively clean to begin with. Fortunately I don't really have a clean track issue in the train shed, despite it being adjacent to a large pasture and the garden. Dust from the gravel road and plowed field on the other side of it has to travel more than 250' to reach.
View attachment 159882
View attachment 159883
That is the overall area for this quarter's cleanup. Now I will remove each structure individually and clean them, touch up paint if necessary, and in some cases add some more details. Of course the spaces around the structures and the scenery will also get a vacuuming and rehab if needed.
There's about 60+ structures in this segment, thus the reason for dividing the whole layout into eight segments and doing one every quarter over a two year period before repeating.

Sherrel - Probably a good idea to take down the Christmas lights in the shrubbery, as either you or the gardener will not remember and prune the wires.
Troy - There is no such thing as a non-partisan organization. I listen to all sides and then make a decision.

Willie. When I really listened to baseball on the transitor (remember those) radios it was between ages 8 and 12. The Sox played at home starting at 7:30PM back then, later times when they played the Angels out West. Bed was around 8:30/9pm and I shared a room with the now 1%er little brother. Ear plugs for the sound and dad always said he would check and turn the radio off around 10. Occasionally now I will listen to the White Sox, Cubs or Brewers on the stereo but if I want to fall to sleep, I put them on the TV, almost instant sleep…

Random comments:

View attachment 159882
View attachment 159883

Nice photo Willie. The track & building looks great.
Swal

Good morning from still overcast but a lighter feeling So. Central Wisconsin. It is 24f degrees now feels like 15 but heading to high 30’s later.

Heading to a hockey game the grandson plays in at 12:30 and asked the granddaughter if she wanted to come over afterwards. Nope! She is 11 and is Down Sydrome. “Poppa, new house is boring”. No disputing that!

I looked and found out I am not a billionaire this morning. Someone is though…

enjoy the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back