Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Chad says, it effects different people different ways. I had the original version of COVID. Had the low blood oxy levels, viral pneumonia, slight fever a little over 100, lack of appetite, dizziness at times and of course the feeling of malaise. At 72 I think I was supposed to die or something, but I didn't. When the fever broke, I got back to being busy and went outside and trenched in my downspouts to route the water out to the woods. Yeah, felt weak and got winded pretty easy, but the objective was to get active again and not let the Wuhan Virus get me down.
Fever and low oxygen levels is not just malaise DJ……I am mainly glad that you are doing much better !

All close family members here have had "jabs" and boosters yet everyone seems to be coming down with it - BIL Brad just caught it for the second time with just a mild case while BIL John is being hit pretty hard.

There is a bunch of evidence (including peer reviewed papers I believe) that shows those who have more boosters are more likely to get it. You can research it if interested. I am not trying to open up discussion here.

I just know that my kids have not been vaccinated and the wife and I each had one J&J. We've been out and about this whole time though I mostly wore masks through the spring when out and about. I've had it once (not through tests but the wife tested and I was sick with the same symptoms so assuming it). I am 56 and fat and not in the best shape. The wife has had it once through tests and once we assume but don't know. Kids as well. None of them were really bad either of the two times. A bit run down.

I was the worst the one time I had it.

I've never had a flu shot or pneumonia shot. Have not had any sort of thing called pneumonia in years -- maybe since I was a teenager and "walking pneumonia".

What is my point? Don't really have one.

There is a bunch of evidence (including peer reviewed papers I believe) that shows those who have more boosters are more likely to get it. You can research it if interested. I am not trying to open up discussion here.
Too late! ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

When in doubt, I go to one of my trusted infectious disease researchers. She is very tuned into peer-reviewed studies about Covid-19, and with her being head of the HIV clinic/area/whatever at UCSF Med Center and on the teaching staff, I've rarely found her off base. Usually ahead of the curve on what needs to happen.

I'm not finding any reports of studies that those with boosters are more likely to get it. What I am seeing is reports that those with boosters are getting it more frequently with the various new Omicron strains than they got it under the Delta and prior variants. Two reasons seem to be at the forefront of this:
-Home testing is much, much more prevalent than it was under Delta
- Omicron is known to be less severe (for most people) but much much more contagious, with wider, rapid spread

Here's the piece Dr Monica wrote (with a fellow ID doc) that covers the state of Covid and responses. She is very worth the follow on twitter. She keeps several threads going with links to studies on a variety of topics related to Covid, vaccines, variants, etc.

Such as it is:

20220702_125913.jpg

Have a good night.

Too late! ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

When in doubt, I go to one of my trusted infectious disease researchers. She is very tuned into peer-reviewed studies about Covid-19, and with her being head of the HIV clinic/area/whatever at UCSF Med Center and on the teaching staff, I've rarely found her off base. Usually ahead of the curve on what needs to happen.

I'm not finding any reports of studies that those with boosters are more likely to get it. What I am seeing is reports that those with boosters are getting it more frequently with the various new Omicron strains than they got it under the Delta and prior variants. Two reasons seem to be at the forefront of this:
-Home testing is much, much more prevalent than it was under Delta
- Omicron is known to be less severe (for most people) but much much more contagious, with wider, rapid spread

Here's the piece Dr Monica wrote (with a fellow ID doc) that covers the state of Covid and responses. She is very worth the follow on twitter. She keeps several threads going with links to studies on a variety of topics related to Covid, vaccines, variants, etc.

There are several studies of data that show this. I did not save the links when I ran across them but am looking to see if I can find them again. They analyzed data showing frequency of covid vs vaccination and booster rates in various countries. Anyway, not trying to start another Covid discussion.

Good Evening all!
86F n Libby
80F in whatever burg I'ma in 100 or so miles North of Indy.
Yup, truck broke again. Welp, since it is the same problem, still broke may be better? Automatic emergency shutdown in 59 seconds for coolant level. Although this time there is a difference...coolant is full and a dark brown instead of that crappy orange color. Tells me that there is oil in it. Truck is toast to me AND road service. Dispatch must agree as there is a '22 waiting for us in Louisville with 98K on it. Ya, so the towing company will not take two riders. Maria as assimilated in motel across the parking lot with me waiting. Tow is coming outa Indy with 3 hour ETA. That was about an hour ago. 3.5 hours to Louisville, quick shower and maybe a short nap and back to this burg to grab her. Back to Louisville to move out/in from old/new. Joy! We do not pick up until Monday night in Groveport so we will be able to rest and get stuff together.

The never ending story: no shots, boosters or pills for us and we THINK we have had it 3 times. Typical symptoms. Maria keeps it a day longer than I for some reason, slows us both down for 3 or 4 days. She is 66 and I'ma 69 with all kinds of previous stuff that according to others should have killed me. Life is good - ya just can't kill former Marines!

Spaghetti sauce looks yummy. Add ripe olives and some celery chunks and you have what I make. My canning is different, food saver does the trick just fine!

Y'all be good now, ya hear?
Later

Good Evening all!
86F n Libby
80F in whatever burg I'ma in 100 or so miles North of Indy.
Yup, truck broke again. Welp, since it is the same problem, still broke may be better? Automatic emergency shutdown in 59 seconds for coolant level. Although this time there is a difference...coolant is full and a dark brown instead of that crappy orange color. Tells me that there is oil in it. Truck is toast to me AND road service. Dispatch must agree as there is a '22 waiting for us in Louisville with 98K on it. Ya, so the towing company will not take two riders. Maria as assimilated in motel across the parking lot with me waiting. Tow is coming outa Indy with 3 hour ETA. That was about an hour ago. 3.5 hours to Louisville, quick shower and maybe a short nap and back to this burg to grab her. Back to Louisville to move out/in from old/new. Joy! We do not pick up until Monday night in Groveport so we will be able to rest and get stuff together.

The never ending story: no shots, boosters or pills for us and we THINK we have had it 3 times. Typical symptoms. Maria keeps it a day longer than I for some reason, slows us both down for 3 or 4 days. She is 66 and I'ma 69 with all kinds of previous stuff that according to others should have killed me. Life is good - ya just can't kill former Marines!

Spaghetti sauce looks yummy. Add ripe olives and some celery chunks and you have what I make. My canning is different, food saver does the trick just fine!

Y'all be good now, ya hear?
Later
You on I 69 or I65? I'm two hours north of Indy off I-69 (Fort Wayne)? I'm guessing 65, since you can still, barely be in Indiana 3 hours north.

I'm relaxing on the couch. I checked the offers from Amazon this morning. Nothing to motivate me to get off the couch. I have other higher paying projects I can work on today. Getting ready for our annual 4th of July celebration will be all the activity I need!

As for the vaccines... My oldest daughter is a trained combat medic. One of my nieces is a doctor. Another is a Physician Assistant and one more is an Registered Nurse. The only thing I can ever recall that they all agree on... I should get every vaccine and booster available. Good enough for me. Only adverse reaction I ever had from any vaccine, a sore arm and felt off for few hours. I don't see any harm in that. A cheap and easy form risk management

I ask every year, but no forum takers yet. If anyone is in the Baltimore area tomorrow stop by for steamed crabs, a plethora of other cookout foods, even a 24.5lb whole smoked turkey. Not to mention many adult beverages and soft drinks to numerous to mention.

My heart was not in this years celebration. I was worried about my buddy Willy. Now I know where he is i can drive to Wilmington, DE to take him his favorite, my smoked chicken breast. Best of all his doctor approved it! I just hope nobody told him I was coming. I can't wait to see his face when I step into his room! I can't remember the Last 4th of July when I did not see my old friend. That will brighten my 4th of July!

Here is the song I always post to notify everyone on Facebook of my party.
I did not even bother to post of Facebook this year. Everyone who knows me should know. If its the 4th of July, the party is at my house. Always plenty of everything for everyone. If something should run out, there will be a dozen or more other things to choose from.
There are two times a year I spend money without counting, Christmas and their 4th of July. Well there are still a few days I still buy trains.
The local news says #1male crabs are running as much as $500/bushel, but whose counting.

Not much of a "rock n' roll party anymore, except for the old hard and heavy music. My drink of choice will be diet Pepsi. Got to think of my A1C.
The drinks will flow, but as it is every year, my house is a drama free zone. I was a bouncer when I was 15. I know how to keep the lid on things.

Last edited:
Good morning fellow model train enthusiasts. 64f degrees now and heading to 84. Our “severe” storms yesterday dropped just enough rain to dampen the driveway. So. Central Wisconsin guessers are saying some convergence occurred that made the rains go north of us. For our next rain, maybe Monday in the morning then all day or late evening with enough severely to cancel fireworks shows.

I spent about 3 hours at the paint bench yesterday. My own stuff and had a good time and Terry was happy I was back in there. Hopefully the desire is back.

Covid and other vaccines. I believe in the doctors and the science. But, I also research on my own! As a diabetic, cancer survivor, stroke victim and a former lover of all good foods I am high risk. Therefore, I get the vaccines and have had decent success. My bout with Covid I am told would have been much tougher without the vaccines and boosters and I believe it. Other then sore arms when receiving the vaccines and 1 day of extra sleep I believe all went well.

We may do the Sunday Farmer Market today just to get out.

enjoy your day
31D647E7-50AB-4794-BB56-26F115100758.jpeg

I've learned my lesson about making a surprise visit. Three days travel only to find they had left that morning for a two-week vacation.
On the flip side, I had a long ride planned and the morning of departure, a family member calls to tell me he's just a few miles out and wanted to stop in for a few days. Sure, I'll just dump all my plans to accommodate your narrow-minded planning. Like, I'm just sitting here doin nothing, waiting for people to drop in.

Good morning guys,

Well the bear did not come back and bend over our bird feeder poles again. Lots of birds, though, this morning. They maybe are used to us putting them out when we get up, do not seem to protest like the bear did.

Todd - oil in the anitfreeze - ouch

Troy - clever idea with the melons

Tom Cambria - frog juicer, anything like a blender?;)

Patrick - who is Aunt Edna?

Well a celebration is due, I got all the shorts ironed out, had to number all my blocks and go through one by one:

IMG_2303.JPG

I am not going to win any awards for neatness under here, however used the masking tape where the switched feeders go in. I have 9 blocks and two sections that are always on when the power is on - mainline

No soldering gun in use, just wrap the bare wires around and use some expensive elec tape that stretches and grabs real good. Went through 3 fuses until got it worked out, one of the shorts was a paint can put on the track while ballast dried :rolleyes:

Got the ballast done here that I was working on, back side of layout:

IMG_2302.JPG

I need to get the brown pain t on the backside of the hill.

Scenery left to do by the closet door and figure out ground cover on the slide out section, plan on using some of this grass roll material:

IMG_2305.JPG

Thats all for now, time to get ready for church then eggs and cinnamon toast for lunch today

Dave LASM

Frog juicers might be something to look at also.

I have. Cost is a thing right now, so trying to economize. YD selling the frog hex ( serves 6 frogs) for about $85 delivered, approx $14 per frog. I'd need two for my yard.

LHS sells the Caboose throws for $6 each. Can prob find cheaper. So worth the experiment, methinks. I will ty to document the process in case I screw up and it is successful 😎

Dropped wife and dau at the nails place and I made it to LHS (Scale Model Supplies for those readers fam with the Twin-Cities), and bought a few of the throws to try.

Also bought a Xuron 2193 hard-wire cutter - was cheaper than Amazon's price.

Good morning, Fourth Sunday after Pentecost. My how fast time flies by. 72° and foggy. last night's rain dropped 0.48". I have not been down in the train room all week, except for having to empty the dehumidifier. As I said before, time is flying by.

Willie: That's some awesome marinara sauce.

Louis: Nothing against vaccines, the only one I am reluctant to consider is the Shingles Vaccine. Although I have considerably less contact with people, I can still come in contact with a "Typhoid Mary". Vaccines offer me a level of protection from inconsiderate people.

Covid, is of course real, but is no worse at this point than other varietys of the flu. Remember, back when we used to argue about the Flu Vaccine, some of us, had the shot, and still had mild cases, while others were deathly sick with it, and had lingering effects that lasted longer than the initial infection. Others didn't get the shot at all and never got sick.

Big problem with Covid, is the obsession with testing. The CDC encouraged it, primarily to gather data for tracking it...that's what they do, use trailing data to predict future trends, (which explains why each new variant seems like a surprise to them). The media, which loves to manipulate raw numbers to support their agenda, over hyped the need for testing, and the media sensitive politicians embraced it... So we are supposed to test prior to going out into the world... Prior to Covid, when you got sick, you went to your doctor. Otherwise, you go about your business. Now....ot's test, test, test. Sooner or later you are going to test positive, even if you are not sick....anytime you go to a medical facility, you have to play 1000 questions about Covid, and what symptoms you are showing, before they allow you in to see your doctor...Why do people go to see their doctors? Because they have a medical issue...duh!

Many large practices try to sell you a test or a vaccine...it has become a profit center.

It is really time to move on from this and accept the risk.

Curt: Silly me, I was wondering where all the buildings went. :rolleyes::oops: Effects look good.

Moving right along, my engine terminal is working out nicely in my mind. What I have to remember, is to allow sufficient space for placement of the sand tower and fuel, water and lube oil tanks. Also, I have to allow for the incorporation for the program track, and the insulated joints and electrical connections...

GP7 on train @ Silver Spring.jpg

Photo is of a B&O train powered by Passenger GP-7s during a station stop in Silver Spring, MD. Photo from a discussion on passenger GP7 and GP9s used in freight service on the B&O Group in Groups IO.

Good Morning All. Clear and 74°, expecting 99° today. After today it's triple digits all the way.
1656847751327.png

At least there might be clouds by next Saturday. :) But don't worry, it will be a dry heat!:eek:

On the home front, I spent part of the day yesterday morning cutting and stacking more firewood. I needed something to keep busy with since the grass has quit growing and I was irrigating the garden. Later in the afternoon, I picked more tomatoes, jalapenos and bell peppers. I reopened the knife wound from Friday so I'll leave the bandage on all day today. Just getting over a minor summer cold, feeling much better this morning and I wasn't coughing overnight. I also was finally given the go ahead to move the living room furniture back to normal after the 8 months of knee rehab that my wife endured. All of the pieces of the couch are back in place and the new recliner (the one with the ejection seat) has been relegated to a corner.
This afternoon I will be pickling Jalapeno peppers; easier than making spaghetti sauce.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions regarding yesterday's post; Tom O, Steve J, OB Ken, Sherrel, Patrick, Hughie, Mike, Rick, Curt, Guy, Smudge, Gary, Tom, Chad, Joe, Louis.

No time for the train shed yesterday, probably very little time today. So from the archives, a continuation of the tour of Jamestown on the layout.
Tony's Wholesale Meats. Another kit from Bar Mills with added details from me.
09-19-19 004.JPG

10-08-20 007.JPG

10-08-20 009.JPG

10-08-20 010.JPG

Dave B - I have been repeating that tomato project for many years. Although this year it appears that I will be doing it more often. It's an absolute bumper crop of tomatoes after several years of a fungal wilt in the old garden, which is the reason that I had to move it this year after 41 years in the old location. Next session is Tuesday.
Troy - Many many years ago, I grew melons and cucumbers in a bed about 4' from the west side of the house. Rainfall from the roof irrigated it. I strung a "hog wire" trellis from the ground up to the eaves for the plants to grow up on. Not only was I able to walk underneath to harvest the fruits, the vines shaded several west-facing windows in the summertime.
Joe - Even though I have a drawer full of test kits, I do not self test just because I have some symptom of Covid. My doctor did send me to the drive through trailer parked behind his office when I got pneumonia just to rule Covid out - I tested negative. While I have not gotten the second booster yet, I probably will now that I am eligible. It's free and I believe that it helps. I am in four high risk categories. Neither me or my wife has gotten Covid yet and most masking and other protocols were dropped in Texas over a year ago. I still mask up when I feel necessary and it is still required in most medical situations. To me that is the greatest chance anyway. I only recently (6 years ago) started getting the pneumonia vaccine and I still got pneumonia. I have never taken a flu shot and never had the flu.
Mike - When I make my tomato sauces, I no longer remove the skins. Roasting them first and then pulverizing them in the food processor makes them disappear. After all, we eat the skins on raw tomatoes! Most of the varieties that I grow have very few seeds so removing them isn't necessary either. I do remove any tough cores though.
Jaz - Lotta nice looking roosters you have there.
Todd - Sorry to read of all the tough luck with the truck. Good luck going forward.
Louis - You know that if I lived closer to MD, I'd be there on the 4th.

Does anyone care that today is Tom Cruise's birthday?
Have a great Sunday.

Good morning all! 72 and humid here heading for upper 80's.

My wife is definitely feeling better, thanks for all the well wishes. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think I may be in the beginning stages of it. Woke up this morning with a headache and sore throat. Not really feeling too bad so far so I'm hoping it's nothing. Time will tell.

Spent time working on my school work yesterday. Knocked out a couple chapters and quizzes and brought my grade average up a bit. I'm carrying an A for the class so far and hoping to keep it that way. Still have a few weeks to go.

Nothing much else going on. Hope you all have a great day!

Grrrrrrr

Just sent out an author newsletter via email. I try to do one every weekend. Most of the time.

Since this is my birthday week, I wanted to get one out with some specials, but I forgot to line one of my books up for free. Instead, I found a couple of author friends running 99c specials on a few of their books and sent those links out.

And in the first five minutes, had two people unsubscribe.

Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 10.44.35 AM.png

No problems. Happens all the time. I do it too. (the open rate will climb to about 35% by tomorrow).

One joker hit the Report Spam button. You get on my list voluntarily. Either by signing up via a get a "freeebie" or via a group giveaway, and you get a couple of emails from me explaining that, and asking for you to hit the nice "No longer want to receive these" button if it's not your cuppa tea.

I know... one or two spam complaints don't hurt my rating with the email sites. BUT... really? :eek:🙀

Sorry. Had to vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back