Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from Wisconsin.

Todd, you were in Sun Prairie, Wi.? Next time let me know, I am about 20 minutes from there. If we are home we have plenty of room for the truck and you guys. I guess yesterday I was so concerned about the Texas stuff I read your stuff but it did not sink in.

Covid is back in the county and fairly deadly to the unvaccinated. Those vaccinated are seemingly getting just the flu like symptoms. I don’t want even mild symptoms.

Diet Dr Pepper was $1.99 each for 6 pack of 16.9 oz bottles. Staff at 2 grocery stores were 100% masked for the second week. Shelves at 11am were hit and miss as the aisles at both places were crowed with product to be placed. Today though is the main grocery run because of the gas money back scheme. Today get $.50 per gallon off if you spend $100. Terry says she is stocking up on meat today so we should hit 200. My big need is granola as the soda was purchased yesterday

Memorial Day 3 day weekend coming up. Brat Fest, the largest in the USA is back at full strength. Always a good time with some great bands on 3 stages. We will get there Saturday afternoon weather depending. The crowds are not as crazy and the food is just as good as in the evening. The bands will be good, they just won’t be the headliners.

Today, the weather will be dryer then the all day rain on Wednesday but T-storms are predicted from 3-7 today. I should be in the train room then spraying primer on the following. View attachment 146498

Enjoy the day
TomO - What a wonderful offer! Trouble is that Sun Prairie is the 1st stop of 2. We are usually there bout 0200 for a 0530 delivery, then we are off to Aurora for the 2nd drop. If we ever get there and would be empty after the delivery, I will let ya know.

63F in Libby
86F in Lakeland 2330 last night.

Dandelions are the ”in” plant this season in my neck (county) of Wisconsin. They are doing “No Mow May” to allow nature to “breathe”. Remember, I am in the liberated State of Dane county in the US State of Wisconsin. This allows your yard to look like a jungle and it’s ok not to mow it during the month of May. Some yards are 18”+ high! [post trimmed]

The primary reason for No Mow May is to help the bee and pollinating-insect population survive and grow during a critical time early in the season. With the expanding use of pesticides and other causes, the honeybee population has been devastated in some areas to the point where farmers are having to import bees to pollinate their crops. There are now even businesses that specialize in transporting colonies of bees around the country, "renting" them out to farms one at a time. I remember seeing a semi truck on the highway about a year ago with a bunch of crates on a flatbed, all covered with clear plastic sheeting. As I passed by, I realized there were tons of bees crawling under the plastic, it was a flatbed filled with beehives. I remember thinking, "That would make an interesting wreck."

The idea behind No Mow May was to have individual homeowners help give the local bee/insect population a boost by allowing some vegetation to flower for one month. Only a few houses or lawns doesn't make a difference, but when a whole county or town does it, that's a lot of additional acreage available for bees to feed as the growing season is starting. It just might help in areas where agriculture is a significant part of the economy...such as Wisconsin.

Good Morning!

Anniversaries are another day we don't celebrate. We've been together for 20yrs now, are still loyal to each other, and still need each other. Both of us have no interest in remembering the pain of our histories. We try to look forward, not back.

Darn! I measured that gate width 3 times, and still cut it too short. I don't usually make those kind of mistakes and I can't explain why it happened. Must have been distracted or fell asleep walking. - Now I need to build another gate out of my own pocket.

Jaz Avally - The Potter 3 decker Knight bus looks cool in my opinion. I know they actually existed, but, they must be a joyride in high winds. I wouldn't want to ride in one. - I'm probably one of the few people on this planet who's never read a Potter book, or been able to watch an entire Potter movie straight through.

TLOC - Thanks for that high compliment back a few pages. Indeed, that was a very high compliment.

Troy - Too bad about those baby Doves. I actually saw a Morning Dove flying around our street yesterday. Quite a rare bird, this far up north.

I don't know what I pressed, but, weirdness has just happened to my PC display. Suppose I'll go make a new gate, and try to fix this thing later.

Have a good one!
I have never seen a 3 decker,rode loads of double deckers, double deckers have blown over in high winds
6B4AAC11-7BEA-40CA-B1F0-B1EB9A5328BE.jpeg
2A06AC7A-79D5-4340-9C6B-95E43D63DBBC.jpeg
755ADC42-18AF-41C8-A486-EF25A37CB8A4.jpeg
9CB76A47-8D88-451A-8656-3F7B6A8F899B.jpeg
0474C1E4-8C70-42AF-B8F5-8B1C15A0A846.jpeg

Speaking of dandelions... They look bad. I get it, especially in urban environments and the burbs, where your yard is meant to be sculpted and pristine.

But out in the country, I don't mind them in my yard. They make great topsoil... restoring nitrogen into the soil. And the bees love them. I, too was a dandelion mass murderer when were were in the burbs. Nobody wants an unsightly yard!

I'd love to have the back 3 acres of my land to be covered in clover and dandelions. The deer would be in heaven! And the pinks and whites of the clover dancing above the lush deep green leaves, coupled with the yellow dandelions, especially in the distance, look great together.

Too bad the dandelion leaves are so bitter. Every part of the dandelion is edible, and they have more nutritional value than most other greens. But I can never get the bitter aftertaste out of my mouth... Just can't bring myself to eat it...
Eat with lemon dressing to make more edible I leave mine let them get big enough then pull out and feed birds

The primary reason for No Mow May is to help the bee and pollinating-insect population survive and grow during a critical time early in the season. With the expanding use of pesticides and other causes, the honeybee population has been devastated in some areas to the point where farmers are having to import bees to pollinate their crops. There are now even businesses that specialize in transporting colonies of bees around the country, "renting" them out to farms one at a time. I remember seeing a semi truck on the highway about a year ago with a bunch of crates on a flatbed, all covered with clear plastic sheeting. As I passed by, I realized there were tons of bees crawling under the plastic, it was a flatbed filled with beehives. I remember thinking, "That would make an interesting wreck."

The idea behind No Mow May was to have individual homeowners help give the local bee/insect population a boost by allowing some vegetation to flower for one month. Only a few houses or lawns doesn't make a difference, but when a whole county or town does it, that's a lot of additional acreage available for bees to feed as the growing season is starting. It just might help in areas where agriculture is a significant part of the economy...such as Wisconsin.
and all of those potential dandy-lions you all have been digging up.

Think of the bees! 😜

Screenshot 2022-05-27 at 6.50.13 PM.png

Probably add a glass of wine in about half an hour. But this is my evening...

Whoever said RMC has eclipsed MRR is correct. MRR seems to be more about their videos and online presence. Nice to see someone still concentrating on the print side. I logged in and subscribed today to RMC. Been buying at the LHS, but I spend enough there on other stuff. Time to save a little with a sub.

OK, that makes sense. There is a good reason behind the movement. Still folks should respect those that choose not to participate.

In my town, if I let my lawn go uncut for a full month,
  • My Neighbors would rat me out to code enforcement.
  • Someone from the township would present me with a summons
  • The Municipal Court judge would fine me and assess costs.
After all, local government in Jersey, is more interested in fund raising, than propagating bees. Many homeowners value the external appearance of their homes over anything else, and worry about property values...and hold those who walk to a different beat in contempt. Again, folks should respect those that choose to be different.

Politics is in the eye of the beholder. I didn't notice any either, but I'm not a moderator.

SA-31 Navesink River Bridge 05_27_2022 Michael Guida.jpg

SA-31 crossing the Navasink River entering Red Bank last night 05/26/2022. Conrail operation on the Southern Secondary, and the Freehold Secondary will end in mid June of this year. A short line, the Delaware and Raritan River, will take over operation.

Pizza night here as well. My usual place is a 15 mile round trip and a bit higher than a local convenience store known for having decent pizza. Ordered local. 4 mile round trip and pizza $5 cheaper.
pizza.jpg

Nom Nom Nom

5 miles one way. Dine-in, order at counter, mom & pop place. Less than $20 for a large pie, 2 fountain drinks, and we brought half of it home for tomorrow.

Are Youse All ready for some more "Ranch" News? There is still "No Peace In The Valley" here - lol.

I took the RV down to the place that did the rewire from the varmint damage and after a few tests the problem was found,
O.K. - The buckle on the passenger side seat was the problem. One has been ordered - from the East Coast if you can believe that - and will take 4-5 days to get here. I am beginning to understand those folks who do not want electronics installed on their automobiles. Why should the seat belt buckle have anything to do with the airbag?

I could write a book about the continuing verbal war going on (mainly one-sided from the younger one).
Sort of too sleepy after last night, so I will try and make some notes later on.
Need to feed the pups - it is their time they are saying!

Maybe I can find a baseball game to put on the Tellie and fall asleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back