Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curt: Honestly, I don't know. I was moving stuff on a shelf, and saw this Walthers box marked TTX 75' Flat. Jammed in the box was the flat car, and this unfinished load, with all sorts of body filler putty at either end. Initially, it was red with a US Steel decal. I manages to file and sand the filler until it looked good, and repainted it with Testors Grey Primer. I think it's some sort of industrial expansion tank, but who knows?

I tried using thin wire for tie downs, but they didn't work. Next experiment is sewing thread.
Boris - try monofilament fishing line. Comes in a multitude of sizes and you can glue it together vs knot.

Curt: Honestly, I don't know. I was moving stuff on a shelf, and saw this Walthers box marked TTX 75' Flat. Jammed in the box was the flat car, and this unfinished load, with all sorts of body filler putty at either end. Initially, it was red with a US Steel decal. I manages to file and sand the filler until it looked good, and repainted it with Testors Grey Primer. I think it's some sort of industrial expansion tank, but who knows?

I tried using thin wire for tie downs, but they didn't work. Next experiment is sewing thread.
Chart tape makes good looking tie down straps. Usually the 1/32" or 1/16" is about the right size. You can get it in black or yellow or many other colors too. It's sticky on one side but I use CA glue to hold it in place.

20211205_211133.jpg

5:45am here in Utah. 12F. Coldest I've seen in a while in the middle of the night. Was cold yesterday -- high around 25F but at least it was sunny after a couple cloudy days and snow, after the weekend with a foot of snow. Most snow in one period we've had all winter.

Haven't been able to sleep almost the past 2 hours. Daughter had an "incident" at school yesterday and she and her friends had to talk to the Vice Principal (here after VP). The circumstances are really stupid but I woke up and had that on my mind and so my mind has been busy about what I am going to do (in my complaint to the principal about the VP as well as the student that initiated the situation) and has not been able to shut down. I'll write about it more after this weekend. I plan on letting this one sit a day or so in orderto try and remove emotion from it and be able to think about what I want to say. The VP is rather incompetent (after almost 2 school years of interaction, and her emails, and hearing about her, and then this).

Then I remembered I had not marked one of my tickets as complete yesterday (at work) so it didn't get sent to the QA team in India to test over night so I decided to come down and mark it complete. I noticed then that the auto build and send to Apple of our project as a beta build had failed for some reason so after looking at the logs and not seeing any real reason other than a timeout on the upload to Apple, I started another build and am now waiting for it to complete.

Regarding electric rates. I think in most US states, the electric company is a state regulated utility and cannot change rates without apprival of the state utility regulating board or commission (whatever that is called in your state). So we tend to not get rate changes very often and then there is warning as they have to file new rates, hearings have to be held, etc.

George: Not for nothing, If you have a contract, how do they justify increasing the price during the term of the contract?
We had this fuel oil company delivering our oil for over 20 years without any problems. I'm not sure how the service contract is intertwined with the fuel oil price. I really never read the contract. That's my fault. I didn't know this but the price of oil you pay is the price of oil the day of the delivery. It worked out fine for the last 20 years or so but now things have changed. Now I'll be checking 12 or so oil companies prices on a daily basis and lock in the price for a delivery. I had a plumper / boiler person do some work for us this summer. I think I'll cancel the oil company's contract and call that person for any boiler problems in the future. This is one of the problems living in the northeast.
George

Good evening.
Spent half the day peeling off old wallpaper, and half the day screwing in new drywall through the basement stairwell and room. Tomorrow, I'll be taping and mudding. - Thank you for the kind comments referencing my wife's desire to have a home more than what we need to hang our hats in. At least she's happy with my efforts, and I have my own train room with her consent.
I might just get a chance to add to my layout tables while waiting for all that mud to dry.

Here's my rant for today:
I know everyone's been talking about prices going up drastically, but, more than double is quite a-bit out of line. This is our March electric bill that just came in the mail:
View attachment 142483
More than double last months bill. So, I suppose the wife has to get rid of her grow lights, the block heater don't get plugged in, and we go back to using candles for light. - Can't wait for the natural gas heating bill to show up next week.
What bothers me most, is that we are not bad off. What about the less fortunate. How will they afford to survive? In this place, if you don't have shelter and heat, you die.

I'm not happy; maybe I should take up drinking again so I can find that happy place.
Rant over!

Looking forward to throwing drywall mud onto the wall tomorrow. I'm betting that stuff is going on with gusto!
Mcleod My electric bill has also more than doubled from last month.
George

Good morning gang!

Half day at work today, I get out at 1. Bright and sunny this morning, looking for a high of 65°, tomorrow they are calling for 3-6 inches of snow. Screwy !

When I get home I'll load the wood hopper. About 8 trips down the basement back stairs with a large rubbermaid tub full of wood will fill it. I might be hard work, but it sure beats the expense of running the heat pump!!

BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 32° with the snow on the way. One heck of a system moving this way, stretches from New Mexico northeastward all the way to Maine. Looks like the system just passed Patrick and is hitting OB Ken and Troy right now. You're next Tom. The very strong wind here will dissipate around sunset with a clear night and low around 23°. Rapid warm up tomorrow into the 70's by Sunday.

The grocery trek went as well as expected yesterday. Only a couple of empty spaces on the shelves, none of which affected me. A bit of a hassle in the back corner under construction, where they are squeezing that corner into the store a little to make more room behind the wall for customer grocery pick-up. Sorry guys, I want to see my produce and meat and pick out my choice. If there wasn't so many employees shopping for other folks, maybe they could do a better job stocking the shelves.

We are currently dogsitting again for a week or so. BOTH of our granddogs came up last evening for a stay in the country. I know of the location of one nesting rabbit out near the barn. I wonder how long it will take the dogs to find the yummy bunnies? They most likely will also hasten the onward migration of current armadillo resident. They generally only stay 2-3 weeks in one location anyway.

Thanks once again for the comments and reactions regarding the neighborhood homes posted yesterday; Steve J, Patrick, OB Ken, Karl, Dhad, Hughie, Sherrel, George, Dave B, Smudge, Curt, Louis, Gary, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Guy, Justin.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I coupled up a pair of the new Dash9's with an intermodal freight for my version of the modern Super C.
IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

Pulled 19 wells with ease. Could have pulled many more but I didn't want to drag them off the storage track.

Joe - I have used chart tape for tie-down straps.

Not a lot for me to comment on today, as I don't use fuel oil and our electric company has not applied for a rate increase.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe and warm.

Morning all,

No surprise this month on our bills...yet. The town I live in has it's own electric as well as the usual water, trash and sewer service (everything but gas and phone\cable). Typically we have a standard electric rate and the a fuel surcharge when it costs more to run the generators. They don't run them as often during the winter months as they buy from the grid when it's the same or less to generate it ourselves.

Started this an hour ago....Disabling a user account has consequences...

1/2" of snow maybe at the house, More at the office. Drove the wife to work, so while I was in before my usual 6:30 start time, I fell behind due to the 1/2 hour I feel like I lost.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 32° with the snow on the way. One heck of a system moving this way, stretches from New Mexico northeastward all the way to Maine. Looks like the system just passed Patrick and is hitting OB Ken and Troy right now. You're next Tom. The very strong wind here will dissipate around sunset with a clear night and low around 23°. Rapid warm up tomorrow into the 70's by Sunday.

The grocery trek went as well as expected yesterday. Only a couple of empty spaces on the shelves, none of which affected me. A bit of a hassle in the back corner under construction, where they are squeezing that corner into the store a little to make more room behind the wall for customer grocery pick-up. Sorry guys, I want to see my produce and meat and pick out my choice. If there wasn't so many employees shopping for other folks, maybe they could do a better job stocking the shelves.

We are currently dogsitting again for a week or so. BOTH of our granddogs came up last evening for a stay in the country. I know of the location of one nesting rabbit out near the barn. I wonder how long it will take the dogs to find the yummy bunnies? They most likely will also hasten the onward migration of current armadillo resident. They generally only stay 2-3 weeks in one location anyway.

Thanks once again for the comments and reactions regarding the neighborhood homes posted yesterday; Steve J, Patrick, OB Ken, Karl, Dhad, Hughie, Sherrel, George, Dave B, Smudge, Curt, Louis, Gary, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Guy, Justin.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I coupled up a pair of the new Dash9's with an intermodal freight for my version of the modern Super C.
View attachment 142496
View attachment 142497
View attachment 142498
View attachment 142499
Pulled 19 wells with ease. Could have pulled many more but I didn't want to drag them off the storage track.

Joe - I have used chart tape for tie-down straps.

Not a lot for me to comment on today, as I don't use fuel oil and our electric company has not applied for a rate increase.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe and warm.
Willie when are you going to paint the fascia board?

Ugh - - Worship service until 200 Wednesday, then an impromptu 30 minute meeting. Yesterday meeting all morning until 1330. Then another meeting from 18-2130. Did go for my workout at 1615 - much needed with all the sitting yesterday.

So, no, did not do anything with trains.

Today, my day off, must do the shopping for oldest daughter's birthday dinner tonight. I am chef for Steak au Poivre. It will be fun, but crikey - I'm ready for some me time.

My modular club is participating in the annual Boy Scout Train Show this weekend in Woodbridge, VA.
We will start setting up the modules along with three other modular clubs in a middle school gymnasium this afternoon. Show will be open tomorrow and Sunday. Wx may affect turnout tomorrow, but Sunday will clear up a bit.
As the club Digitrax guru, I'll help set things up this afternoon but I'm not going up there over the weekend.

If there wasn't so many employees shopping for other folks, maybe they could do a better job stocking the shelves.
Ho Ha! Interesting development, all of the supermarkets, and even BJ's have committed a lot of resources to the shop from home concept, to attract Millennials, who always had mom to do for them, are now heavily marketing the concept, since normal people are returning to the stores and demand for home delivery and curb side delivery is dropping. :rolleyes:

My electric bill, is stable, for now. Same with the gas. Only with the gas, the rate is higher, while the consumption is down. I'll stick with my theory that there is no energy shortage, just speculation by opportunistic investors. OTOH, the winter was colder in this part of the world, and that in itself, increases demand and cost.

Robey St Yd B&O Chicago (BLF&E).jpg

This photo, was actually one submitted as evidence by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen (BLF&E), to a Presidential Emergency Board during the manning dispute in the 1960s, which in the end resulted in the elimination of 90% of the Locomotive Fireman Positions on the nations railroads. The photo depicts the B&O Chicago terminal operations (Robey Yard).

Chilly Morning here in the SW! 37 degrees heading towards 70 for a high with severe clear!
Not a whole lot new from the cardio doctor yesterday. The meeting was less time than the drive to get there. Let's see! Changed one of my prescriptions to combat the A-Fib and tell me that he wants to set me up for a "shock" treatment to see if the electrical signals to my heart can be jolted back into a normal stance. Doctor seemed to indicate that the success rate was 90% - I asked what the 10% FAILURE was -- being carried out on a board? He said NOPE - just that there would not be any change in my condition. OK - guess that will be a go then!

The next hurdle will be to see the eye doctor this coming Monday -- goodie, I get to spend more gas money. The Spousal Unit received 8.7 gal of gas yesterday for a 50 dollar bill! Thankful that it is a Honda CRV; pretty good milage!
Home heating with Natural Gas doubled last years bill!

It's kind of a PITA, but when we had oil fuel, I took 4 five gallon cans, filled them up at the local gas station, and dumped them in our oil tank. It's the same oil, possibly filtered better, and it was 50-80 cents a gallon cheaper than delivery, even paying the road tax on it.
In my 70 plus yrs, I've never seen fuel oil at the *local gas station*, When we used it I was too young to know or care where it came from but you should never stick your tongue on the storage tank in winter time !! Thats an ouchy right instantly.

This photo, was actually one submitted as evidence by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen (BLF&E), to a Presidential Emergency Board during the manning dispute in the 1960s, which in the end resulted in the elimination of 90% of the Locomotive Fireman Positions on the nations railroads.
The Penn Central got rid of the fireman I thought around 1975. I remember being on my own in the cab around that time. It was definitely less safe for everyone. They now relied on the engine's dead man in a emergency but missing a single or speed restriction around a sharp corner was now up to one guy.
George

We had this fuel oil company delivering our oil for over 20 years without any problems. I'm not sure how the service contract is intertwined with the fuel oil price. I really never read the contract. That's my fault. I didn't know this but the price of oil you pay is the price of oil the day of the delivery. It worked out fine for the last 20 years or so but now things have changed. Now I'll be checking 12 or so oil companies prices on a daily basis and lock in the price for a delivery. I had a plumper / boiler person do some work for us this summer. I think I'll cancel the oil company's contract and call that person for any boiler problems in the future. This is one of the problems living in the northeast.
George
guessing a plumper is actually a plumber. ⁉️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back