Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still before high noon; so Good Morning!

Chores are all done, so I decided to finish the Cafe', at long last. It's been about a year since the start of this project.
The sign is up, the door draw bar is on, and 'Mary' the waitress is permanently glued onto her forever position. She'll be looking out the window, wondering how it is that Flo gets all the customers.
CoffeeShop_12-21-2021.jpg

I'll glue the floor on soon, paint the edges 'concrete', and then I'll call her done.

Have a good day!

Takin a break.
Setting up the empire for unit trains for the Christmas Toy Run on Monday, 27 Dec. I think there might be a few new motive power units showing up under some trees so they will certainly want to put em to the test for distance and tonnage.
I had pulled all the intermodal stuff off the layout a few months ago for some steam era operations. To get started I just emptied the container onto the benchwork and began sorting em out. At this point I already put together a mile long spine car train with containers. Gotta put a well car train together next and load that up.

View attachment 137342
Ken, looks like the port of LA!

Good afternoon from the slightly rolling hills of So. Central Wisconsin. Did some early for me Christmas shopping this morning. I love the 24th but most of the company will already be here, so off I went. Found what I wanted for Terry. I then stopped just off campus at the local artist craftsman shop. When I told him what I wanted in Pan Pastel he said use these and create that color yourself. $1.48 for the shop brand pastel bar or $6.98 for prisms color pastel bar. I will try the $1.48 stuff today. I have an old knife I can use to shave the bars. He is aware I model trains as he has quite a few model railroaders but many more scale car modelers. He said what Pan Pastels wants to stock their brand he can not afford the initial buy in.

Weather, it’s 29f degrees heading to 34 but the current wind chill with a 14mph breeze makes feel like 19. No snow predicted till after the New Year and my area has basically had total a 1/4”this season.

I am dusting the place today and tomorrow. Hand done on all wood work with pledge. My wife is 70 and because her mom worked for SC Johnson who make the Pledge products and a million other things we have never paid for it. Her mom has been gone 2 years coming in May. Terry said to me we are on the last cans and will be putting it on shopping lists along with the Edge shave stuff I never had to pay for. gee the cost of living in our house just went up.

When done those areas will get the vacuum run through it. Last weeks vacuuming was tough on me but yesterdays was better. Everything hurt while vacuuming last week. I decided I was not doing upstairs as the kids now live up there. Turns out that IS what I am doing tomorrow! Lost that one. I believe I should order a Rumba vacuum for the kids.

The son flies in commercially from Austin on the 23rd. He now is not sure if the g/f will be along or he would have flown himself. The brother and g/ f are not coming in from Paradise. The niece is coming in on the 24th but not sure if flying with her mom. My sister says she feels “not her” and I told her does not need to appear if not feeling right.

Enjoy your day
TomO

I really like how you paint your buildings they reflect the real thing and give a feel to how they look in real life, I have a question looking at all that real estate on the roofs, do people not have picnic tables or pigeons or plants up there? do you p,an on doing anything there,are as you usually photograph down at eye level of person in the layout is it as such irrelevant for your purposes. not that it should be one way or another just me being nosey :D
In the part of the world that I model, rooftops are usually not used for anything but deflecting rain. I posted a couple of months ago, a rooftop with sunbathers and I know that I do have another with a pigeon coop, but I mostly just enhance them with plumbing stacks, rooftop hatches and vents. Back in Brooklyn where I originally grew up, people used rooftops a lot more than here in the South.

Good Afternoon Everyone....started out as a nice day here in this part of Wisconsin and now it's overcast and looks like rain.

My Christmas shopping was done several weeks ago and two of the gifts came in large boxes which would be a waste of wrapping paper, so the boxes will remain uncovered as will mine from Cathy. Why waste wrapping paper?

No model railroading until after Christmas!!!

Riley and I will be alone to watch the Packer game on Saturday since the girls are going to Green Bay to watch the game in person. Just leftovers from Christmas Eve for me on Christmas Day.

Looking for a wood kit to construct? Try Carolinacraftsmankits.com. They offer nice wood kits similar to George Sellois has made and offered.

Now I'm looking at two box car kits on my computer desk. One is the undecorated box car for G&D decals and the second is a Milwaukee, Racine & Troy box car. Need to assemble these guys and the ones down on the model railroad workbench.

I purchased a bunch of car kits to build after I retired and I yet to have assemble any one of them. Many are nice covered hoppers that would look good with a slight weathering.

That's about it for now.......................

Greg

############################

Afternoon All,

Spent most of the day in the train room and finished the ground cover with the exception of the outside edge of the main line that loops around the engine area and really scrubbed the track with my CMX cleaning car. I also put in all the structures and test ran with the Y6b for fit requiring 2 needing moved some. The worst was the cinder/ash tower. I still need to take photos of the structures in place.

Guy- Great looking cafe.

Smudge- I love the colors the colors that English steamers had/have. It's also interesting that some have belpaire fire boxes.

Willie- Great looking town.

Lee- That will be a great looking load.

Jaz- Nice job on the details.

Hughie- Great layout scenes.

Ken D&J- Karl beat me to what I was going to say.

Troy- Very nice job.

Joe- That's a case of life imitating art or there's a prototype for everything.

IB Ken- Very nice scenes.

Patrick- I'm glad your SIL will make it for Christmas. It's amazing how a freshly painted roof brightens a room. Great meme.

Ken (IL)- I find doing research either online or through printed material to get re-energized works for me.

20211221_102250.jpg

20211221_102304.jpg

20211221_102317.jpg

20211221_112448.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning all. A Crisp Double Deuce in the Ozark Foothills.

Flo. Cheese Omelet with Raisin Toast.

Ken. Your pics look great I enjoyed looking at them.

Willie. You are really moving along on your layout it’s looking nice.

Well I’m back on my HO layout trying to regroup on it. Last night I worked on this old Athearn 6 truck Heavy Duty Flat car that I’ve had for about 12 years. The Caterpillar Scraper is a old Roco. Enjoy your day and I’ll check in later on today.

View attachment 137318View attachment 137319View attachment 137320View attachment 137321
Looking forward to seeing this when you're done. I have an old "connection" to machines on flatcars. And dont use "rope".;)

Attention Global modelers of the Diner. I know many of you like photos of trains, layouts and in the diner any thing else too.

Well, when drifting around the Modelrailroadforms the other day I came across a thread called

lets do it again Favorite Photo

Seems the only rule is you must be the photographer. Please take a look and hopefully post

thanks for reading

TomO

Takin a break.
Setting up the empire for unit trains for the Christmas Toy Run on Monday, 27 Dec. I think there might be a few new motive power units showing up under some trees so they will certainly want to put em to the test for distance and tonnage.
I had pulled all the intermodal stuff off the layout a few months ago for some steam era operations. To get started I just emptied the container onto the benchwork and began sorting em out. At this point I already put together a mile long spine car train with containers. Gotta put a well car train together next and load that up.

View attachment 137342
And I thought Long Beach had a Container problem. Lol.

Afternoon All,

Spent most of the day in the train room and finished the ground cover with the exception of the outside edge of the main line that loops around the engine area and really scrubbed the track with my CMX cleaning car. I also put in all the structures and test ran with the Y6b for fit requiring 2 needing moved some. The worst was the cinder/ash tower. I still need to take photos of the structures in place.

Guy- Great looking cafe.

Smudge- I love the colors the colors that English steamers had/have. It's also interesting that some have belpaire fire boxes.

Troy- Very nice job.

Patrick- I'm glad your SIL will make it for Christmas. It's amazing how a freshly painted roof brightens a room. Great meme.

Ken (IL)- I find doing research either online or through printed material to get re-energized works for me.

View attachment 137349

View attachment 137350

View attachment 137351

View attachment 137352

Thanks for the complement. I really like that turn table your layout is really coming together

Afternoon All,

Guy- Great looking cafe.

Troy- Very nice job.

View attachment 137349

View attachment 137350

View attachment 137351

View attachment 137352

I actually have no idea about the fireboxes, I know Scotsman has a wooton type, wielded it more than once.

If that's what you think. feel free to not post photos of Christmas trees.
This has been gone over and over and over. Any questions, look back at any number of threads where Bob spelled out what was and was not allowed in plain English. I think in the future, I just won't say anything, let a ton of posts get whacked, and everybody wonder why.
Terry, I hope you keep doing what you do. As I tell my grandsons "do the right thing because its the right thing to do regardless of consequence or reward"

Holy mackerel Andy! I missed so much the last couple of days.

I've been extremely busy. It's amazing how much I can get done when I feel a little better, thank God.

Christmas shopping, we ordered gift cards online and put them in Christmas cards, shopping and wrapping all done! I did buy some candy for my grandsons Christmas stockings. I also hope to get to the book store for some books for my boys. I like to buy books.
That's all for me, I'm sleepy!

Have a great night Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back