Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning, it's 6.00 am. still dark here and 39F
Here is a photo of 2 Loco's you may have heard of, and a quick potted history for those interested.
scotsman.jpg

Both these loco's are actually the same one, Flying Scotsman. "The" Flying Scotsman actually refers to the train, not the engine itself. Some of you may well have seen her in 1969 when she did a near ill fated tour of the U.S. with the then owner Alan Pegler, (he bought her from British Rail for the princely sum of £3000). The one to the rear is the A1 class loco, as she was when she first entered service in 1923. After several upgrades including new boiler, piston valves, and smoke stacks, she was re-classed, (which is the loco in the foreground), as an A3, which is how she is preserved today at the National Steam Museum in York. She cost £7944.00 to build (£32600 in todays money) Was bought by the British steam museum for £2.3m who spent a further £4.5m to overhaul her, making her one of the most expensive steam locomotives in the world.
She still holds the record for the longest non stop run by a steam locomotive of 422miles while in Australia.
She holds the title for the first steam locomotive to reach 100mph, and the first locomotive to circumnavigate the world.
She has had several well known owners, among which are Sir William McAlpine and Pete Waterman.

Last edited:
Troy - thanks for posting that video about the PEX piping, that might be something even I can work with! Our house had all copper piping in it when we first moved in 20 years ago, and over the years we've had ~90% of it replaced with PVC. I've never tried to find PEX in any of our regional hardware stores (HD, Lowes, Ace) but if they carry it, I might get some next spring and replace the copper pipes leading to our outdoor spigots (which we never seem to remember to close off in time before winter).
Be warned that doing what I did and relying on Sharkbite® fittings only, instead of the crimpers, is pricy. A bag of Sharkbite® 90° elbow (qty 4) was $29.99 or such.

My buddy that turned me onto them is a "handyman" generalist and does small home & apt repair. He keeps a kit with about $150 in crimps and basic PEX stuff, and about double that in sharkbites. He said knowing when to use each is important. Sharkbites are good for fast repairs, connecting pex to cpvc, etc. Long runs and major projects are probably worth the investment in the tools and crimp rings

Morning all,

Christmas got delayed last night. The out of town SIL is a volunteer firefighter and they were asked to be close on Friday due to high winds and extremely warm temps. Winds not expected to be as bad as last week, but with temps at or above 70° for this time of year makes for quick moving fires.

All your handyman pictures are having me do some painting on the kitchen ceiling. Hopefully I'll get home on time tonight to actually get it done before Christmas as I need the paint fumes down before the boy shows up as he's allergic to paint fumes. Last night MOH had me running errands on my way home, so I was home after dark which makes it hard to see in the vaulted kitchen ceiling.

Hopefully some time for trains, but probably not.

New computer is supposed to show up at the office today. Hopefully before I leave.

Good morning all! Lots of black coffee please, Flo. A frigid 21 and patchy fog heading for a day of 45 and sunny. Back to work today to work a "mid" shift instead of my usual hours. We're short a man right now in my department so our work hours are getting jostled around a bit. Nothing too severe. Nothing too much to report from here. Goofed off most of yesterday, but did manage to get the new curtain rod hung for the sliding back door. Other than that, just didn't do much of anything. I desperately need to find a way to get some motivation but I just don't feel like doing anything lately for some reason.

@IronBeltKen Great photos! I love the work you've done and the 84 logo looks perfect to me.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 34°. Welcome to the first day of Winter here. Winter Solstice, shortest daylight day in North America. Interesting weather situation developing, we're under a dense fog advisory although there is no fog here right now (0500). That fog is supposed to freeze on bridges, overpasses and higher elevation roads! My guess is that the fog will develop east of here where it actually rained yesterday. NWS is now predicting a high of 82° on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Record high for Christmas day is 81° in 2016. I may need to reopen the pool!;)
I am looking forward to the daylight lengthening, as these short and cloudy days depress me. I have been overly lethargic since Thanksgiving. While today is going to be short, at least it will be full sunshine.
Heading out this morning for our Moderna booster shots now that my wife feels mobile enough; appointment is 11:30. We were eligible about two months ago, but other medical stuff got in the way. Apparently vaccines and antibiotics don't mix well.
I was back at it yesterday splitting wood. I really should check out renting a hydraulic splitter for a day as it's really boring. The workout is good though and I don't have any aches today. Later I washed the car, something that I usually rely on Mother Nature to do, but it is Christmas week and we'll be doing a lot of visiting this weekend. I'm too cheap to take it to the car wash.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding my layout project progress; Karl, Joe, Sherrel, Tom O, Christian, Chad, James, OB Ken, Patrick, Hughie, Gary, Guy, Tom, IB Ken, Lee.

A pair of breakfast burritos for me this morning Flo. Sausage, egg and cheese with spicy salsa on the side.

Yesterday out in the train shed was a repeat of Sunday and a precursor of the upcoming days; not much time and very little visible action. Yesterday I mainly rimmed up DPM wall sections without gluing anything together. I am going with a three story structure to be large enough to warrant boxcar loads. There's more than enough clearance for my hand and the ground throws, most of which are behind gaps between the other structures.
So it's back to the archives today. Here's three overall views of downtown Maultown, which is on the peninsula above the area that I am working in.
10-13-19 001.JPG

10-13-19 003.JPG

10-13-19 002.JPG

Joe - Moderna stock being up doesn't look like it helped the overall market yesterday. Not too sure I want to ride this one out, even though I am still 4% up for the year! A lot of pressure from the pessimistic partner.
Guy - your posts make me feel cold. I can tolerate single digits but don't like them. Negative temperatures, wind or no wind, are just too cold for me. I am enjoying the shorts and tee shirt weather that we are mostly having now. That 82° predicted for later this week suits me just fine.
Nice work on the roof.
Curt - This year wrapping Christmas presents was the exception. Like cleaning bathrooms, it's a job that I am not allowed to do. Trade-off is that she has never mowed the yard or any portion of it.
Ken (D&J) - Rather apt description of the checkout line. I absolutely cannot figure out why people don't have the plastic card in hand until the total is rung up. I have left items on the counter and left a store before when I could get them elsewhere, making loud comments as I did it.
Smudge - Flying Scotsman pictures didn't come through for me. You mention Pete Waterman, a noted and prolific UK songwriter and record producer as well as a railway enthusiast. I don't like any of his music though!

As I mentioned, today is Winter Solstice and the fog finally formed here. Not what I would call dense, yet, but heavy.
Everyone have a great day and stay safe.

Good Morning all. A Crisp Double Deuce in the Ozark Foothills.

Flo. Cheese Omelet with Raisin Toast.

Ken. Your pics look great I enjoyed looking at them.

Willie. You are really moving along on your layout it’s looking nice.

Well I’m back on my HO layout trying to regroup on it. Last night I worked on this old Athearn 6 truck Heavy Duty Flat car that I’ve had for about 12 years. The Caterpillar Scraper is a old Roco. Enjoy your day and I’ll check in later on today.

7C1C2963-E9AD-452E-8B99-27086717BB30.jpeg
7245F2C8-84A9-4C3B-BCDD-661D0273B08A.jpeg
980CDEC8-8A89-4220-B1DB-56F334E4404D.jpeg
877A44CD-A05B-47FD-B394-A5D57476F186.jpeg

Good Morning all. A Crisp Double Deuce in the Ozark Foothills.

Flo. Cheese Omelet with Raisin Toast.

Ken. Your pics look great I enjoyed looking at them.

Willie. You are really moving along on your layout it’s looking nice.

Well I’m back on my HO layout trying to regroup on it. Last night I worked on this old Athearn 6 truck Heavy Duty Flat car that I’ve had for about 12 years. The Caterpillar Scraper is a old Roco. Enjoy your day and I’ll check in later on today.

View attachment 137318View attachment 137319View attachment 137320View attachment 137321
That is screaming to be repainted,even if supposedly brand new,if your inclined painted yellow if superior to plastic yellow, regardless I love the wagon load, needs sone chains,or cotton for ropes.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 34°. Welcome to the first day of Winter here. Winter Solstice, shortest daylight day in North America. Interesting weather situation developing, we're under a dense fog advisory although there is no fog here right now (0500). That fog is supposed to freeze on bridges, overpasses and higher elevation roads! My guess is that the fog will develop east of here where it actually rained yesterday. NWS is now predicting a high of 82° on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Record high for Christmas day is 81° in 2016. I may need to reopen the pool!;)
I am looking forward to the daylight lengthening, as these short and cloudy days depress me. I have been overly lethargic since Thanksgiving. While today is going to be short, at least it will be full sunshine.
Heading out this morning for our Moderna booster shots now that my wife feels mobile enough; appointment is 11:30. We were eligible about two months ago, but other medical stuff got in the way. Apparently vaccines and antibiotics don't mix well.
I was back at it yesterday splitting wood. I really should check out renting a hydraulic splitter for a day as it's really boring. The workout is good though and I don't have any aches today. Later I washed the car, something that I usually rely on Mother Nature to do, but it is Christmas week and we'll be doing a lot of visiting this weekend. I'm too cheap to take it to the car wash.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding my layout project progress; Karl, Joe, Sherrel, Tom O, Christian, Chad, James, OB Ken, Patrick, Hughie, Gary, Guy, Tom, IB Ken, Lee.

A pair of breakfast burritos for me this morning Flo. Sausage, egg and cheese with spicy salsa on the side.

Yesterday out in the train shed was a repeat of Sunday and a precursor of the upcoming days; not much time and very little visible action. Yesterday I mainly rimmed up DPM wall sections without gluing anything together. I am going with a three story structure to be large enough to warrant boxcar loads. There's more than enough clearance for my hand and the ground throws, most of which are behind gaps between the other structures.
So it's back to the archives today. Here's three overall views of downtown Maultown, which is on the peninsula above the area that I am working in.
View attachment 137299
View attachment 137300
View attachment 137301

Joe - Moderna stock being up doesn't look like it helped the overall market yesterday. Not too sure I want to ride this one out, even though I am still 4% up for the year! A lot of pressure from the pessimistic partner.
Guy - your posts make me feel cold. I can tolerate single digits but don't like them. Negative temperatures, wind or no wind, are just too cold for me. I am enjoying the shorts and tee shirt weather that we are mostly having now. That 82° predicted for later this week suits me just fine.
Nice work on the roof.
Curt - This year wrapping Christmas presents was the exception. Like cleaning bathrooms, it's a job that I am not allowed to do. Trade-off is that she has never mowed the yard or any portion of it.
Ken (D&J) - Rather apt description of the checkout line. I absolutely cannot figure out why people don't have the plastic card in hand until the total is rung up. I have left items on the counter and left a store before when I could get them elsewhere, making loud comments as I did it.
Smudge - Flying Scotsman pictures didn't come through for me. You mention Pete Waterman, a noted and prolific UK songwriter and record producer as well as a railway enthusiast. I don't like any of his music though!

As I mentioned, today is Winter Solstice and the fog finally formed here. Not what I would call dense, yet, but heavy.
I really like how you paint your buildings they reflect the real thing and give a feel to how they look in real life, I have a question looking at all that real estate on the roofs, do people not have picnic tables or pigeons or plants up there? do you p,an on doing anything there,are as you usually photograph down at eye level of person in the layout is it as such irrelevant for your purposes. not that it should be one way or another just me being nosey :D

99% done...

Caulk in sink drain is curing. Will check for leaks tomorrow. This is try # 2 on the drain.

Need to cut a piece of trim for the front of the linen cabinet, and paint to match so it hides the spot with no tile where the old vanity drawer unit sat.

Other than the drain check/repair as needed, I'm done with this until after Christmas.

View attachment 137267
Blimey, excellent update, I bet she is chuffed,especially if the lights are working

Just seems odd that you post this during everyone posting pics of their trees, what are we supposed to think.
I find sometimes I reply to something and the conversation has moved on,you just go look back,I certainly did not miss the connection despite its geographical position,and his comment is fair,if they do not police I have seen a number of forums turn into nasty bitchy off topic….well we are in the coffee shop so off topic we are ok with, but I think a gentle reminder now and then is actually a good thing, keeps us from going natic]ve and taking pot shots at each other, elsewhere one time someone got nasty with me, no mod so I fought back,both got hammered way after it occurred, and be fair this thread does move fast, you lot are such chatterboxes……,giggles

View attachment 137299
View attachment 137300
View attachment 137301

Nice work on the roof.

Foto fixed, thanks.

Yep, all modern houses here use PEX, cheaper than copper pipe and easier to install, (it will also bend 90 degrees), expands and contracts, so less likely to split and burst under extreme temperature changes, used for both hot and cold water supplies, plus, so simple to connect, anyone can do it.
Yes even I have been known to finish off a job the other half was working on on the understanding he checks it out for leaks.

Hi, Me again.
Well today was not a good day, couldn't keep my hands from shaking, got so little done Haven't done any work on the either the GP30, or the 424, still waiting on parts. Wanted to do some painting on the GP30, but that was a none starter as well.
This morning the new storage box arrived for HO coaches and wagons, (note to self, order another one for the Loco's.)
made it up and added the padding, and then all the wagons that don't have boxes.
View attachment 137263

Tried to make up some bits and pieces for the scenery, didn't get far as you can see, so binned it for today, maybe tomorrow, we'll see.
View attachment 137264

G'nite
Oooh these are easy to paint and improve
5A9CFF85-AE4E-43F8-AD16-152883C7D4BA.jpeg
CFE347EF-4237-45A3-B086-1619DC093058.jpeg
5C7CBD9A-3FA7-4221-A31A-A0799C390F61.jpeg
989FD7A5-4BFC-406E-8477-AB09C22DF639.jpeg

I’ll look for other picture but these give you a rough idea…really rough lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back