Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey & Terry - Regarding underground utility wires, I can't imagine those being buried alongside a railroad right-of-way; I've always thought of that as being done in modern housing developments and other non-industrial areas[?] But if you have any photos of such access hardware near a track, I'd certainly like to see it!
Ken- How dedicated are you to make the layout reflect prototypical practice? You have already said that you do not have utilities due to possible damage by operators.
People are gullible, lie to them about the underground utilities!
I
t is your railroad so you can control what goes on it.

Ken- How dedicated are you to make the layout reflect prototypical practice? You have already said that you do not have utilities due to possible damage by operators.
I
Does that come under the prototypical heading of factual actualities or actual factualities?

Good morning y'all! And what a glorious morning it is! Weatherman says it might rain today, but I don't care, I'm going home today!

freedom.jpg

Flo - Coffee and bacon please.

Before I get much further, I know I'm a day late, but thank you to all who served to keep us free. Living in a hotel room for two weeks makes the days blur together so I forgot it was Veteran's day yesterday until after I had posted.

Sherell - It's good to be back. Pull up a seat. I saved you some bacon.

Willie - Yes, ambitious indeed. That's why I said the rest of the buildings may not get the same treatment. LOL! I love highly detailed models, but I've never been a patient man when it comes to building highly detailed models. So, maybe I can learn it. The bank scene looks neat. Here's a thought: Perhaps an office party on the top (Christmas, Retirement, Etc)while a hold up takes place on the lower level? It'll be a conversation starter as well as a representation of real life. And, I'll let our fellow RR'ers draw their own conclusions as to what I mean. LOL!

IBKen - I'm not familiar with the City Classics kit, but I'll look it up for reference. There were some stations like these around where I grew up, and some that used to operate around where I live now. But that's the beauty of model railroading, there is no wrong way to do it! I like this style and my layout is my layout so I can put one on every street corner if I want. LOL!

To everyone else that posted pics: Keep em coming. I may not always like or comment, but I do enjoy them.

Coffee's done. Time to pack. Be blessed y'all.

I
You would be surprised how companies will sneak utilities where they're not supposed to. We had a phone/cable company run a line down the shoulder of the road. It didn't get marked when we (the town) called underground to have utilities marked for milling the road and shoulder. Needless to say there were quite a few people without service while they put a new line in.

Good morning all! Clear and 40 heading for a cloudy, windy 51 for the day. Pretty tired today and really wishing it was a day off, but once I get to work I'll be ok. Did a little more reading in my new Guide to Signals and Interlockings last night till I got to sleepy to comprehend what I was reading. Pretty good book so far with a lot of excellent photography shown.
Flo: Black coffee and don't stop bringing it any time soon.
Loving the photos some of you are posting and wishing I had the skills to do what you guys do. I need time, money and materials to practice on. One of these days.....
Hope you all have a great day!

Well got the first of 4 sections out and tested the switch machines. No go, gummed up from sitting over a year. The CRC 2-26 to the rescue,(love this stuff) a drop on either side of the switch slides and back in business. A quick wipe down of the track with the same stuff shows the grime on the rails, and that's only a 4' section.
IMG_4523.jpg
IMG_4524.jpg

Good Morning all! A happy Veteran's Day to all that served.
Flo, just a bowl of oatmeal please and coffee.

Mikey - zoom in, there are 4 figures on the structure. N scale so they are only 3/8" tall.
Guy - nice to see you still have steam locomotives in your area.
Christian - no there are no threads about my layout. I limit my online social media to just this diner.

View attachment 135239

STAY SAFE

LATER
Now that would be awesome to model best I have is this
941A4B97-F3E4-4647-A15B-888BEAB7915B.jpeg
B0C5BE36-35EF-4F0D-8EDD-CEFF3A124639.jpeg

Good morning gang!

Raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock here, but at least the temp is in the 50s.

Thank God Its Friday!!!😃😃😃😃😃

Supposed to get colder tomorrow, looks like a basement day coming! Yahoo!! I'll stack the rest of the firewood Sunday, give the yard a day to dry out.

L8ter!!

Well I ended up not doing a lot on Veteran's Day. Did a caboose renovation (full disassembly, cleaning, new IM wheels, new Kadee couplers) and back on the track. Used the Kadee coupler gage, and the couplers are a tad low, but the uncoupler arms do clear (had to adjust one with the Kadee tool). I'll pick up some overshank couplers, maybe. I do need a new exhaust stack and the two ladders - - any suggestions on sources?

Then worked on 'puter from home and ran some errands. One was to Costco, so treated myself to a $1.50 Hot dog & pop and a $2.50 chocolate yogurt sundae. Mmm mm - - - bloody durn tasty. Thank Goodness Uncle Joe's inflation hasn't hit those items yet!

Came home and fiddled about and then decided a good war movie was in order. Watched "The Siege of Jadotville," which was decidedly good and well done. Sorry Christian, the French get their butts kicked . . . . . . . again.

Then a quick supper and off to a meeting. Home at 8:30. Wife had answered urgent plea for help from #2 daughter and then took her to dinner and got home about the same time. So we fed the dogs, brushed their teeth (greyhounds have notoriously bad teeth) and took showers and shared a nice bottle of Bordeaux. Now there, Christian, the French do SHINE ! ! !

I'll meet her today for lunch and then off to a seminar weekend. I put out the offer and will pick up two guys from the airport and save them the Uber costs out to Buffalo, MN. Ain't I a sweetie? Home SUnday, so no train work this weekend.

Had snow last night, but no accumulation to speak of. So don't think this will count as our first 'measurable snowfall' which is already late this year. But won't break 40F today, so not a bad weekend to be tucked up indoors.

Blessings to all - - - - - Steve J

Good Morning All. Clear and 47°, not as chilly as the forecast predicted, but it's only 0530 right now. Tonight, we may see 34°. Our typical first frost isn't until 11-22, but we have to have a few early ones to average out with the late ones. Other than tonight, the next ten days are expected to be warmer, with a potential of 80°+ on Tuesday. No more rain in sight. While the rain/hail Wednesday evening only left 0.6" in the rain gauge, it did put water in my pond to a depth of 8"-9" since the ground was still wet and the downpour was so intense for a very short time.
IMG_8239.JPG

This will dry up in a week if the current forecast of no rain holds up.

Another uneventful trek to the grocery store yesterday. Still empty shelves, but again the manager indicated that it was a manpower situation and not actual shortages. I scored a free 14.5 lb. frozen turkey due to spending $100 on non-alcohol products. I have no room in the freezer so it is in a cooler with ice packs right now until I can rearrange stuff. I need to use more of the veggies that I froze last spring! I did well on the coupon redemption, saving $48.64 overall, counting the turkey and fuel points earned. Mask compliance looked to be about 50%.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posts everyone; Patrick, Christian, Guy, Chad, OB Ken, IB Ken, Tom O, Karl, Hughie, Tom, Curt, Rick, Troy.

Sausage and biscuits with southern cream gravy this morning Flo.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I just painted figures that I am woefully behind on doing. I need them for more than just the bank lobby, I need some more for the Ramone's Salvage scene as well as the previous three builds of the General Store, McCormac's Dry Goods and Cooter's Liquor store. There's at least a dozen more structures/scenes scattered about the layout that need some as well. I could easily absorb 100 more figures right now!
I received a few comments regarding that Cotton Belt covered hopper the other day, so I took a picture of the opposite side.
IMG_8233.JPG

I like to weather freight cars, but I have only done about 15% of the 800 that I have. I should do a few more when I get the powders out for last week's covered hopper that's on standby.

OB Ken - On the BNSF line closest to me, train watching has gotten a bit boring lately, even though there is in excess of 40 trains a day. My spot to watch from is just 15 miles north of the Alliance Intermodal Yard, so 60% of the trains are container or trailer loads going north. Southbound are mainly unit grain trains headed for export through the Gulf, ethanol tankers going to refineries in the Houston/Beaumont area or auto carriers coming from the Pacific Northwest with cars imported from Japan. Rare to see a mixed freight any more. The empties always seem to return at night. Even the interchange with KCS right in front of me is boring with only containers. Amtrak passes through twice a day with the Heartland Flyer. The coal trains from Powder River Basin stopped a few years ago as Texas has switched to a lot of wind and solar power. The remaining coal drags are on the parallel UP line about 6 miles east. The BNSF line next door to where I worked for years was more varied, with almost all trains being mixed freights. There was one unit rock train into Dallas daily in the morning that returned empty in the afternoon.
Jesse - I may use your idea of an office party on the second floor of the bank. Not too sure about the holdup as I have mostly law-abiding citizens in my towns!;)
Here is an example of what I was referring to the other day. This is a scene from a busy tavern. Here is how I detailed the inside.
IMG_8246.JPG

22 figures all together.
Yet this is what is visible from outside. Both pictures are taken at a better viewing angle than where the tavern actually resides.
IMG_8244.JPG

While we're here, let's look at the back.
IMG_8241.JPG

Tom - Your post regarding the phone cable reminds me that back in 2016, the contractors from the local phone company who were installing fiber optic cables along the right of way in my yard, asked me where the water main was! I wasn't there for that install many years ago, so I guessed based on what I had seen. I immediately went inside and called the water company and they had a man out in less than 10 minutes to mark it before they proceeded. It was just inches from where they were about to dig to install a vault for connections; which they then decided to move because of that. A different crew a year later hit my underground electrical supply conduit when they were installing the actual hookup to my house. Fortunately they just grazed it and no damage was done.
Steve J -
the couplers are a tad low, but the uncoupler arms do clear (had to adjust one with the Kadee tool). I'll pick up some overshank couplers,
Maybe you just used the wrong terminology, but you need "underset" shank couplers.

Everybody have an awesome day. Stay safe.

OK I am up with the chickens again! I so wish that I could make it until just before daylight.
Anyway, it is supposed to reach 90F today - the record hot for this day is 92 F in 1999, so we could possibly make a new record today - not something I would like to see.

Just coffee this morning, FLO! I have a few things I want to get done before WM gets crowded today, so zI will hit them while the boxes are still in the isles, LOL.

HUGHIE: Love the photo of an overall view of your layout. Nicely done! Lots of work and detail - looks great!

GUY: You will never wear me out with your photography - trains, creeks, or brush - it is all good!

Later, folks!

Yesterday was another opportunity to work on the club On30 layout. It is all set up, leveled, track connected and cleaned.
Another member has converted 4 steam engines to wood burners from coal fired engines. Three of the 4 engines ran well on the track and did not snag anything on the layout, this time. The fourth engine needs some time with a mechanic.
We have a large scratch built train shed that is too large to try to glue down and risk damage while moving the section. The solution is to mount it on a board for transportation and leave a "hole" to display the structure on one corner. With typical aforethought, there is a gap about 1/2 inch deep around the base board.
After considerable strain of my brain, I was able to disguise the gaps with barrels, boxes, drums, trash cans and various bits of greenery.
The white line in the photo below shows where the gap is along the back of the building.
On the side view, the gap runs along the track outside the lean to.

We will have to come up with a better solution for next years show.

Attachments

• 11.11.21 1.jpg
    11.11.21 1.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 11.11.21 2.jpg
    11.11.21 2.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back