Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lady of the house—you may feel blah but you still have to vacuum today. That’s done.

We have oil, why do we import any? I don’t mind $3.14 a gallon if it was only USA or Canadian oil. Put a tax on non-North American oil and you would see our oil fields really flourish again. But hell I believe in a flat tax, no deductions for anyone earning as a family $50,000 a year, term limits and happiness for all. I believe in Santa, not the Easter bunny though and Superman. Yes, I can dream.

A funny for the day
View attachment 133590
A tax on foreign oil, seems brilliant, and there are different types of fuels from oil - smart idea
Good morning ....

Tom O ... Your pulpwood scene looks great.

Willie .... That building kit looks fun.

Joe .... The box car looks nice. Interesting photo of the VO1000.

Willie, Sherrell ...... I'm hearing energy prices will continue rising at least until end of the year. Oil is forecasted to be $100/ barrel by end of year. Inflation for all items is costing the typical family about $175 per month compared with December 2020 prices. ... Not to worry; the Secretary of Energy is "concerned" about energy prices. Yeah, right. Just like the Secretary of Transportation is doing anything to solve the back up of ships at the ports. So much incompetence in DC ! ... Enough of that.

One of my favorite old photos I took of my layout has my 2-10-2 pulling a freight train in the town of Blackhawk. Meanwhile, an Alco S2 awaits the arrival of a crew to begin industrial switching.

34987247794_2af996983f_b.jpg
i have seen people put up fishing wire on telegraph poles in places to photograph, but avoid were your hands need to go cos it can rip the lot out…ouch
lovely embedding of track, and track side detail, excellent distant shot and near in focus looks lovely

Good morning all! Sunny and 65 here. Supposed to get up to 85 today and 88 tomorrow. Kinda warm for October, but I'll take it over winter weather any day.

Day number 3 of 4 off today. I've got plenty of stuff to do since I was gone most of the day yesterday. Had a great time visiting my parents and then picked up my youngest granddaughter from school. Had to run a few errands after that, so I didn't accomplish anything at home.

If I get a chance I may sneak out to the garage and get that 72" by 30" board from my old layout down from the rafters and see what I can do with it. I've been trying to come up with a good idea for a switching layout, but haven't finalized anything.

I'm one of those guys who likes to try to come up with a plausible version of my home area for a layout, so I've been thinking about what current and former industries along the local lines I could service with switching. I may come up with something that services industries that existed along both lines that come/came through here over the years as one line. The NYC/PC/Conrail and later the Prairie Central used to come through from north to south on the old Egyptian line, but those tracks are long gone. The east/west was the IC, but it's now the Indiana Rail Road. What I like is I've got HO equipment from PC, IC and INRD that can all be used on the line, depending on my desire to run modern or old stuff. If I ever get a chance to build a larger layout, I'd like to model like the Oil Belt RW survived and eventually took over the Egyptian line in our area. Big dreams, small wallet and no space to put it all anyway.

Hope you all have a great day!
Ken
If the problem is cash for loDS AND LOADS of buildings, maybe a long plank with low relief buildings from card board foam board etc could give you what you want so mostly back scene, then choose something sparse for the foreground, I have seen people use old crappy track for scenic areas that nothing runs on gives scenery and p,ce to site rolling stock whilst avoiding costs or reducing them a friend is a dumpster diver and comes up with loads of low cost ideas.
foam board with plastic from bacon wrap for windows etc or boarded windows with old wooden coffee stirrers

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. A nice day, very sunny and heading into the 80’s.

Today we head to the UW campus for the NCAA #1 ranked Badger Women’s hockey. They will raise the NCAA Championship banner from last year. March 2020 is the last in person game we did in Wisconsin. Should be fun.

I cleared off some work space and started weathering couplers, wheels and trucks. I will do all 23 pulp cars and 2 log loaders. Hopefully doing them together will create an efficient schedule. When we get back tonight I want to finish wiring all the feeders to the buss. I did many to test trains but if I don’t do them now…

Sorry to those few I upset over my tax import oil comments yesterday. Didn’t IMO feel it was a political statement. I feel like I am a fiscal conservative but grew up in a very liberal family and I am married a great liberal. Sometimes you just have to try to think what is best for your country.

Have a great day
TomO
5D0B42F4-9B06-433A-B4E5-B8F53B9166BF.jpeg

I watch the long unit trains of oil tankers roll through the city of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin and am glad that it's Northern American oil and not imported. No tax on imported oil, we just will not use it for any purposes. Not political, but just plain common sense.

Again while driving through the edge of Wauwatosa, stopped on the CP mainline, there was a long string of coal hoppers, maybe 80-100 in number. No ideal where they were headed, but it was the first coal unit train that I've seen in a long time. I believe the well known coal power electric plant in Port Washington, Wisconsin has shut down, but I not sure of the Oak Creek power plant if it is still in operation.

One of the points that I want to stress is that American production of oil and coal has an impact on the railroad industry to name a few industries that rely on this production.

Thanks all for now.

Greg

I watch the long unit trains of oil tankers roll through the city of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin and am glad that it's Northern American oil and not imported. No tax on imported oil, we just will not use it for any purposes. Not political, but just plain common sense.

Again while driving through the edge of Wauwatosa, stopped on the CP mainline, there was a long string of coal hoppers, maybe 80-100 in number. No ideal where they were headed, but it was the first coal unit train that I've seen in a long time. I believe the well known coal power electric plant in Port Washington, Wisconsin has shut down, but I not sure of the Oak Creek power plant if it is still in operation.

One of the points that I want to stress is that American production of oil and coal has an impact on the railroad industry to name a few industries that rely on this production.

Thanks all for now.

Greg
Coal fired in Wisconsin.

Oak Creek in Oak Creek and

Weston Generating Station in Rothschild, Wi outside of Wausau.

Pleasant Prairie down by Kenosha was the #1 most efficient coal fired power plant in the USA till they shut it down a few years ago or converted to natural gas

I thought there was one more but can’t seem to find anymore info

TomO

Christian: The best scenery photo is the last. 😁 😁 LOL
The pole with the wires reminds me if what I have seen in India and Pakistan

Boris -- I liked the photo with thhe whiteish faded on the right side. Pennsy BP is beautiful.
SF beat up pretty good on LA last night - whoo! Go Red Sox!

TomO - 2 emails? unreal! I could go with your 'Flat TAX' No deductions, period - first $50,000 free!

Willie -- Glad to hear that Arlene is doing good - considering?

Me and #3 a few years back! I was re-doing the two box car roof's on the left1
1633804745141.png

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did a bunch of chores while wife and daughter did the last estate sale. Up to today Dad has made back around $1500 (plus today). We now have 2 weeks to get everything left cleared out. The final house clean is on the 25th. I worked on the parking lot for the coal mine. I'll get it in before I start ground cover and static grass. I do have to decide if I want to do concrete or black top. I'll take a picture when it's complete.

I talked to Phil for a couple minutes today and he's maintaining the status quo.

Greg- Nice scene.

Sherrel- Nice looking dog. Great family photo.

Mikey- Great looking structure.

Joe- The box car looks good as does the passenger shark.

Christian- Nice looking scenery, I just don't know about that wiring!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Mikey- Great looking structure.
Curt- The barrel factory was intentionally left open so visitors can see the interior details, as requested by comments from last year's visitors.

We have a train shed to finish repairing and placed on the layout. It will be the last structure planned for display for this year's Holiday show.

This Revival tent is a temporary addition to fill in a space where a home was removed this summer. We need a couple vehicles to fill out the scene.

My thanks for everyone who has suffered through this series of detail pictures. I hope I didn't bore too many of you.

Attachments

• 10.7.21 revival 3.jpg
    10.7.21 revival 3.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 86
Good Afternoon Everyone...somewhat overcast in spite of the forecasters saying it would be a sunny day. Looks like I'll be staying upstairs today and working on computer elated stuff. Taking some breaks and looking at HO equipment on EBay. I like looking at weathered equipment for sale and what level the prices are currently. One set of four CN ore cars was listed for $625.00!!! Good weathering job, but....? Also, in-between I was watching Riley on the driveway while she dried off after a bath. Her hair is starting to get longer, fuller and glossy.

Thanks Curt for the compliments.

Tomorrow morning I plan on getting down to the trains before the Packer game. And, hopefully be back down for a short time after the game. It's amazing how much can be done in a short time if your make a plan and stick to it. Going to apply a little heat to fatten the curve in the edge of the carpet protector and if that doesn't work I'll order a new one.

No interest in watching the Wisconsin football game that's in progress. That offensive line being as weak as it is and the defense hurting....not to say anything about the Quarterback and his problems that lead to two of the three Badger losses.

Christian: That picture of the power pole would make a great model using E-Z Wire and months of your time to recreate!

TLOC: That's my kind of salad. A little Ketchup for the dressing.

Anyone know where I can get some micro-LED's in Red and a device to flicker the LED's??? I want to make some fuses that I'll install on sidings and yard approaches.

That's all for now.

Greg

################

Howdy ....

Everybody : ..... Thank you for the likes and comments on my photo .

Christian ...... Greet scenery , and the dogs look happy. That wiring reminds me of some i saw in South America. Looks hazardous. Can you tell about the interesting flag ?

Jaz .... Thanks for you comment. I once heard HO scale wire would be too small to see, and thereafter I never tried putting it on my poles.

Sherrel .... I have not heard anything about that outdoor railroad. Can you tell us about it? Looks great.

Joe ..... PRR 5772 looks fabulous.

Willie ..... I'm enjoying seeing your progress with the building.

Cheers !

Jaz .... Thanks for you comment. I once heard HO scale wire would be too small to see, and thereafter I never tried putting it on my poles.

GarryCBQ: Have you thought about using E-Z Wire to string your poles?

IMG_0367.JPG

Stringing E-Z Wire on the CM&N Railroad. A bt over sized, but effective for utility pole use. It is very flexible and forgiving to hands that get into the way of the E-Z- Wire.-Greg

Good evening. The hockey game was excellent for the Women Badgers. 6-0. Had a nice dinner after the game but way too early at 5pm for both of us. 6:30 to start is normal

Willie I did reply.

Greg, Ihave tried the easy wire and it worked well but it was in a bad location on the layout. It will return when I put the sub station back on the layout

Christian, superb pictures. That looks like a beautiful section of the country

Sherrel, nice picture. 7.5” gauge???

Mikey, pictures not only show us things but they tell us things to. Please keep posting them

I hope to catch some NHL games tonight, hockey fever is back for me.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back