I need bridge plans

Goldnut

I would like to build a wooden bridge like the one in the beginning of this video. Does anyone have plans or know where I may get them? Thanks Ken

Well, I don't usually plug the bookstore, but it's a legitimate answer in this case.

There are two books you might find useful.

This is the first in the series. It's out of print, but available used. It's a bit higher than I'd have guessed, at $26 or so used. They're basically a soft bound book about like a magazine.

The Model Railroader’s Guide to Bridges, Trestles & Tunnels

1585189934027.png

The Howe Truss has long been a favorite of model railroaders. As was mentioned Campbell Scale Models makes a kit for it. It’s been around forever, and many a model railroad features one. They’re still in production, amazingly enough. It’s a reasonable $80 or so. It will certainly keep you occupied a while as you assemble it.

The one in the video is On3, so I don’t think it’s a Campbell kit. They don’t show one in the catalog. Other companies offer them too. For that matter, it would be simple enough to scratch build one. The parts all repeat, once you get going, you just do the same over and over until it’s the length you need. Granted, it will take a lot of work, but it’s achievable for someone with good skills.

The Howe Truss has long been a favorite of model railroaders. As was mentioned Campbell Scale Models makes a kit for it. It’s been around forever, and many a model railroad features one. They’re still in production, amazingly enough. It’s a reasonable $80 or so. It will certainly keep you occupied a while as you assemble it.

The one in the video is On3, so I don’t think it’s a Campbell kit. They don’t show one in the catalog. Other companies offer them too. For that matter, it would be simple enough to scratch build one. The parts all repeat, once you get going, you just do the same over and over until it’s the length you need. Granted, it will take a lot of work, but it’s achievable for someone with good skills.
That 80 dollar price tag about knocked me out of my chair...then I saw it was HO scale. I am needing one in O. That is one good looking bridge for 80 bucks though. I think I could scratch build one if I had blue prints. I am going to give Cambell a call to see if they have them. I am still a green horn in MRRing. What is the difference in On3 and O? How could you tell what the scale was in the video? Thanks Ken

What is the difference in On3 and O? How could you tell what the scale was in the video? Thanks Ken

First off is the fact that I recognized the layout owner's name,
Second is the fact that #473 is a K-28 D&RGW loco - as are the cars. (too much detail for HOn3)
Third, is that O scale is the standard of 4'.. 8-1/2" whereas On3 is 3' between the rails.
On3 sleepers/ties stick out more on the sides.

There are other means as well which you will learn to pick up on as you enjoy this great hobby and pastime!
Keep me posted on your bridge project - I will continue to look for some pictures/drawings.

Well, I don't usually plug the bookstore, but it's a legitimate answer in this case.

There are two books you might find useful.

This is the first in the series. It's out of print, but available used. It's a bit higher than I'd have guessed, at $26 or so used. They're basically a soft bound book about like a magazine.

If your an Amazon shopper, make sure you check the "other shopping options" you can find used or damaged copies listed less than the original retail price.

Sherrel's correct and that is a Howe Truss bridge by Campbell. I constructed one during anill fated Packer season at our kitchen table while I liseten to the Packer games. I too my time and spent the season working on the wooden model and I was proud of my results.

I installed the bridge on my layout on a Sunday and come Monday when the Mrs. was doing the laundry, she had a towel hit the bridge and destroying the top leaving only the portion with the rails. It was partially my fault that the layout was too close to the washer/drier in the basement.

It as fun doing the construction.

Live and learn they say.

Greg

I just sold Howe Truss bridge about a month ago,....couldn't make it fit on a mainline track that would carry taller modern day cars,..
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...ill-mainline-pick-up.31511/page-2#post-460487

I just found a book I had, "Bridge & Trestle Handbook" by Paul Mallery. I will have to relook thru it and put a price on it if you are interested.
81kK8sPSM9L.jpg

Marvelously detailed instruction book for building every possible kind of bridge and trestle for your model railroad. The author makes it easy for someone without engineering experience to design an accurate model bridge or trestle based on real-world prototypes, whether timber, steel or concrete, and whether and old-fashioned covered bridge or a long-span suspension bridge. Tells you how to select the proper type, how to avoid common errors, and how to build it so it looks and actually is realistic. 136 pages with index, conversion tables, and NMRA standard clearances.

PS: How about $10 plus postage,...likely $3 or so at book rate

Last edited:

Back