Paint Booth Upgrade

George, Depending on the type of paints you are using I'd say. Anything that is flammable could cause an explosion hazard going through the vacuum which is not a sealed motor. You would still need to exhaust the fumes outside also. Using water based paints wouldn't cause any troubles though.

Jerome when I started the layout years ago I installed 2 inch PVC pipe around the room which gets exhausted to the wet/dry vac that resides in a ventilated structure out side the house. Isn't a wet/dry vac motor sealed, other wise the water would short out the motor? I'm using paints that are flammable. I guess I could give it a try and see what happens? If it's not workable I'll have to copy your method.

George

Nice looking booth Jerome!
I'm planning on building one this summer so I'll be watching.
And the hard part is already done for me, the new house came with an exhaust pipe already done!

A8E29189-EE7D-4ADF-9B92-1A2C88FA4301.jpeg

Last edited:
Jerome when I started the layout years ago I installed 2 inch PVC pipe around the room which gets exhausted to the wet/dry vac that resides in a ventilated structure out side the house. Isn't a wet/dry vac motor sealed, other wise the water would short out the motor? I'm using paints that are flammable. I guess I could give it a try and see what happens? If it's not workable I'll have to copy your method.

George
George, you are correct. A wet/dry vacuum would be sealed. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to MikeGTW my paint booth got a much needed upgrade. Before it had a 20" box fan that would shoot the exhaust out of a window in the spare bedroom.
Now that we have a dedicated train room, I'm going to have it set in a permanent place. The exhaust motor Mike sent has a 2" fitting. After looking online at gas water heaters, I saw they use 2" PVC for the exhaust pipe.
So hear is the set up so far. I use 2 air filters before the blower motor, that way no wet paint ever gets through.
View attachment 43775View attachment 43776View attachment 43777View attachment 43778View attachment 43779View attachment 43780View attachment 43781
Jerome I forgot to check it but do you see that yellow cap ? that other round part may be open also and allow air to blow out into the room normally there is a rubber hose on it for water drain (condensing furnace) the other small one is vacumme

George, you are correct. A wet/dry vacuum would be sealed. Shouldn't be a problem.
For normal dust use, there is usually just a dust filter. For wet, that normally gets replaced by a foam filter to catch any solids and the intake to the motor/fan has a plastic ball in a cage that will float up as the container fills with fluid and blocks the intake.

Ok I have to update this because it is being referenced in another thread.

The water heater blower motor does not move enough air for painting.

It barely moves smoke from a lit cigarette Going to have to re-engineer this exhaust system.

What about an over the stove hood vent motor & fan? Are those motors sealed to prevent grease fires?

Try this again You can't use that black hose it's like using 50 elbows and that won't work at all Just use pvc pipe and maybe 3 long sweep elbows should work
And sorry for being gone for so long was attacked by a car when riding my Harley I was doing 50-55 mph was laid up for a while
here's her car
36957891_10156640085819309_2333566207065587712_n.jpg

Back