Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone....still overcast and mild for this time of January.

Good afternoon in the layout room. The SOO Line caboose I re-lettered had the last "O" slightly crooked and it bothered me so I replaced the letter and I feel much better. Finished working a Walthers Mainline flat car weathering and adding details like drums, planks of wood or various sizes and dirt on the decking. I added stakes along the sides of the flat car in the stake pockets.

Looked the air brush and all chambers and openings were clear. I also looked for that trigger that I lost, but it's no where to be found so I ordered another one from Badger and I know I'll find that missing trigger tomorrow. I can interchange parts with my other air brush tomorrow and determine if it operates properly which it should. I think the trouble was air not getting around that small washer on the small plunger and "O" ring and the air passage way. Cleaned it up and we'll see.

Reversed the motor leads on the 70 Tonner and it will run backwards, but the rear head-lite will not light in reverse. Changing the motor lead leads must of changed the polarity to this LED assembly, so another project for tomorrow. After all it is a cheap, cheap cheap DCC decoder board!!!

Ran the "Troublesome Diesel" again and no problems or derailments.

Keeping with my New Year's resolution and painting the backsides and fronts of wheel sets and the glad hand hose fittings silver.

Miller Time and Packer Time.

Greg

###########################

Hiya gang!

FINALLY got to a good hobby shop today (Mainline Hobbies in Blue Ridge Summit PA) I was going to go yesterday but the drain pipe for the bathroom sink had other ideas. It leaked out into the hallway and under the laminate flooring. The wife notice it Saturday morning when she got up to make coffee and water shot out between the planks as she passed the bathroom. Thankfully I have a neighbor who is a plummer and he came over and fixed the pipes while I worked on water damage. It dripped down stairs, ruined a few ceiling tiles, and almost got my workbench and display case full of locos. The the 3 year olds birthday party and my day was shot. I still have to replace 8 ft of laminate in the hall.

Anyhow today dawned and the forecasted day of rain missed us. 65° for a daytime high ! I got a haircut, got the car washed and went off to the Hobby shop! On the way back some large insect suicided himself on my windshield. Not something that normally happens in mid January in the Northeast! I wonder it he had dirt on Hillary??

Anyhow, I've got a bag full of parts, motors, paints and decoders! Mission accomplished!:)

BL2and slug.jpg

Here's the other side of my grain mill, being serviced by a BL2 and a slug!

Good evening ...

Terry ... I did not consider using our generator when power was out yesterday for 8 hours . Main reason: Both of my 5 gallon cans are empty. ... Hmmmm. What do they used to say when I was in Boy Scouts? Be prepared ! Oh well. We got by okay . We played board games in the dining room next to the window which had ample daylight.

Curt ... I’m trying to remember. I think you said in addition to roof repairs, the house interior also needs repairs. That’s why the layout must be moved. Next time, you may wish to consider building a sectional layout that can be moved without ripping it all apart.

Karl ... Nice photo of BL2 and slug working at the grain elevator.

I have had a busy last few days.
My grandson is a high school senior and has been applying for admission to several schools over the last few months. He has also taken the ACT college entrance exam three times and has gotten his score up to a 31. The University of Alabama has offered him several scholarships that will cover his expenses for his freshman year. (Bummer, as most of the family are Auburn football fans!) But we go with the most money here.
His father gave him his old 2007 Nissan Xterra vehicle when he turned 16. The Xterra on gets 12- 14 mpg around town and will need tires and a muffler sometime in the next year. We did extensive research for smaller, economical vehicles. We wound up test driving Hyundai Elantra and Kia Forte, hoping to find a left over 2019 model we could afford. Long story short, we found a 2018 Forte with 17, 654 miles that we could afford with his Xterra trade in. We arrived home with the Kia Forte 5 minutes before the Saturday high winds and torrential rains hit.
We lost power for three hours and had several trees down in the neighborhood.
Today, I spent time in the basement loading some flatcars on my shelves and laying out excess pipe loads for future flatcars. I'll try to get the camera for pictures tomorrow.

Mikey - God help me! I thought you were leading up to a tree falling on the just purchased automobile.

Greg - How did you like that finish? I felt that GB was going to lose it at the end; they just seemed to run out of "go juice" in the third quarter?

11:45 PM here ....chilling out after an intense Packer game. Whew we won. I am not so confident on the divisional game against 49ers though. sigh...
Anyways I got very little done this weekend. I was wiped out after a horrendous week last week. I did however get some of my lumber materials moved up in to the soon to be train room. So maybe I will tackle getting my ledger boards set at the correct height for my modular frame work. Iam thinking I will be doing the main level height at 44 inches basically bar height. I like sitting on stools or bar stools as well as standing. So that should do it. Alright off I go to visit Mr. Sandman. 4:45 AM comes fast. Later!

NOPE - Not a good idea - much to powerful and noisy! You don't want the suction to distort the spray pattern. Try a computer fan, or maybe two of them - in each top corner.

I have the blower off of our old power vent water heater that I kept when I replaced it last spring. I figured it might work for a paint booth. It's reasonably powerful but it won't suck me in while I'm trying to paint.:)

I don't want to have my wife telling me to close that window if I have a vent to the outside. That's why I thought of the shop vac to make sure there's nothing floating around in the air. I plan to use a 3M Filtrete filter on the inside of the spray booth. I'm just not sure of whether or not the filter will contain everything or if there will still be airborne particles exiting the exhaust fan. If so, I thought about capturing the remnants with the vac. Aside from the noise, it is easy enough to control the draw of the shop vac with a gate like that used for dust collection for woodworking.

I have the blower off of our old power vent water heater that I kept when I replaced it last spring. I figured it might work for a paint booth. It's reasonably powerful but it won't suck me in while I'm trying to paint.:)

I don't want to have my wife telling me to close that window if I have a vent to the outside. That's why I thought of the shop vac to make sure there's nothing floating around in the air. I plan to use a 3M Filtrete filter on the inside of the spray booth. I'm just not sure of whether or not the filter will contain everything or if there will still be airborne particles exiting the exhaust fan. If so, I thought about capturing the remnants with the vac. Aside from the noise, it is easy enough to control the draw of the shop vac with a gate like that used for dust collection for woodworking.

Here's the redneck way that you spray indoors. Several years ago I had a clothes dryer that had an air setting, with no heat involved. I would use that as my spray booth, and then run it with a load of wet "garage towels" afterward to scavenge any residuals from the drum. Like I said, redneck!

Good morning everyone. 27 and clear. Will hit lower 40s today.

Jim, TexasHobo, Tom, BurlingtonBob, Sherrel, Flip, Patrick, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments from my Friday post.
Chet - Willie and I both got about an inch of snow Saturday - - better watch out, 'cause we're starting to catch up to you :D

The inch or so of snow that fell Saturday came on top of some rain that froze, so Saturday night and Sunday morning were treacherous. Fortunately it did a lot of melting Sunday which allowed us to get to our daughter and SILs to take care of our granddaughter while they went out to a movie and did some shopping.

Here's a chance for audience participation: Below is a photo of two of my birthday presents last week (my daughter and SIL know what to buy me, don't they?!). So I need to get these folks on they layout. Help me decide: the baseball players can either be playing on a side street (easily visible to guests looking at the layout) or they can go in a grassy field near a farm, also highly visible. Which do you suggest? (Like Willie a couple of months ago, the location with the most votes wins!!) I'll do the Wiener Wagon vote later this week.

People1.jpg

Got to take the car in for service. Be back later.
Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 38° and partly cloudy. Warming up for a few days, next freeze on Saturday. Quite the storm system that swept across the country this weekend. After reading about all of you other guys who lost power for extended periods of time, I am glad that mine only went off for a very short spell.
Doctors appointment this morning kinda screws up half a day for me. These things are getting more frequent unfortunately.

Eggs sunny side up, bacon and whole wheat toast this morning Flo. Maybe one of those fresh cream filled donuts to finish things off.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments on the hobo scene that I posted yesterday; Tom, Justin, Sherrel, Greg, Bob, Phil, Jerome, Bill, Chet, Hughie, Ken, Curt, Karl, Garry, Johnny.

Only had a short period of time in the train shed yesterday due to church and household chores. So all I did was paint additional detail parts and some Preiser figures. I did fire up a couple of trains to run from staging to staging to break the pattern a bit. So back to the ever dwindling archives.
Here's one of my favorite simple structures. A Downtown Deco hydrocal kit of Ace Auto Parts.
05-20-18 019.JPG

While it is in it's final location on the layout (maybe), it is in an unfinished area with no scenery.

Sherrel - Yes it is the camera angle. I'll have to pay more attention when I am shooting pictures.
That's why God gave us little toes - so we can locate furniture in the dark!
And don't forget Legos.
Terry -
I seem to remember a dead traffic signal supposed to be treated as a four-way stop. When did that change?
Cellphones.
Chet - Good to read that your leg is improving.
Phil - Happy Anniversary on the cancer removal.
Curt - Sad picture.
Jim - Great work on the two structures. I especially like Nick's and I am looking forward to seeing how you finish the other one.
Karl - Those grain mill pictures are both fantastic. The one that you posted on Tuesday is outstanding.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 27 and clear. Will hit lower 40s today.

Jim, TexasHobo, Tom, BurlingtonBob, Sherrel, Flip, Patrick, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments from my Friday post.
Chet - Willie and I both got about an inch of snow Saturday - - better watch out, 'cause we're starting to catch up to you :D

The inch or so of snow that fell Saturday came on top of some rain that froze, so Saturday night and Sunday morning were treacherous. Fortunately it did a lot of melting Sunday which allowed us to get to our daughter and SILs to take care of our granddaughter while they went out to a movie and did some shopping.

Here's a chance for audience participation: Below is a photo of two of my birthday presents last week (my daughter and SIL know what to buy me, don't they?!). So I need to get these folks on they layout. Help me decide: the baseball players can either be playing on a side street (easily visible to guests looking at the layout) or they can go in a grassy field near a farm, also highly visible. Which do you suggest? (Like Willie a couple of months ago, the location with the most votes wins!!) I'll do the Wiener Wagon vote later this week.

View attachment 43129

Got to take the car in for service. Be back later.
Have a good day everyone.
We always used to go to a city park. I don't see anyone playing on a street in anything smaller than a city without large parks.

Which stirred a memory. I haven't seen pics of any layouts where kids are playing in areas where they shouldn't be: gravel pits, storm drains, railroad tracks, etc. Those places used to be magnets for us.

Good Morning Shop People .... It is 44 degrees heading towards 63 for a high with partly sunny skies. Maybe some moisture come Thursday?

BoB - I may be totally off in my memory, but seems as if I sprayed with 15 to 22 pounds of pressure and I don't remember that much overspray nor airborne particles. Others may have a totally different speak - it's been a long time?

Beady - I'm with you on the kids playing areas!

Good morning. 27 degrees and dark out. Another winter weather advisory that went Kaput. Has one 3 minute snow squall blow by and that was it.

Curt - When was the last time you saw that room empty? I would consider it a blank canvass.

Jim - Nice photos. That underpass will add interest and have a change in elevation for the layout.

Phil - That is an excellent looking geep, enjoy.

Karl - Really like that photo with the BL2 and slug. Excellent.

Willie - That tire store is interesting with the way you weathered it.

Justin
- Another interesting selection of photos. Keep them coming.

Garry - You may win the golden dip stick award for letting the fuel get low in the generator. Terry might take second place. I make sure that mine is always topped off and also start it at least once a month to make sure that it is ready to go.

Mikey
- That Kia may be something good for your grandson. My wife had and a couple of her bowling partners rented one and was suprised with how good the fuel mileage was, but it was a new one. The only problem is that th fuel tank was small.

Johnny
- Like the figures. I have had my eye on the wiener wagon but am trying to think of a location where it would make sense. No room for baseball players.

Haven't seen Greg check in yet. He probably wet his pants with the Green Bay victory yesterday. Here's an ore train for him out of the archives.

thumbnail_20190711_133641.jpg

Me thinks there is a coupler height issue.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back