Rolling stock why do I have these?

MikeGTW

Signalman, ESQ
are they even worth keeping that vermont car had to look at again it's a ROCO made in austria it's shorter in height then a athearn car
DSC_0122.JPG
DSC_0123.JPG

Last edited:
Mike, that is a totally personal call on your part. Everyone has they're favorite brand of cars. If you like them, they fit your era, meet your needs, sure keep them. If not, someone will buy them.

I have given some old LifeLike, Tyco and Bachmann cars to the young son of a former coworker for his pike. I converted a couple of cars to have a Kadee coupler on one end and a horn-hook on the other so he could use them all with some that I had completely converted to Kadee. His parents had bought him an Athearn RTR loco that he had trouble coupling with horn-hook equipped cars that they got for him from Craiglist..

If they have knuckle couplers (the red and green box cars) keep them. If they have archaic ("Alien" looking) horn-hooks, chuck them. If they have no couplers and you don't foresee adding or changing couplers, chuck them... Just do it..You won't miss them later on....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I'm interested in your Northern Pacific Observation car. What do you want for it? Send me a P.M. and let see if we can come to a deal.
Get me a shipping address and it's free It will never run here You do know it's a Rivarossi brand
and I looked only have two other boxcars lettered for NP

If they have knuckle couplers (the red and green box cars) keep them. If they have archaic ("Alien" looking) horn-hooks, chuck them. If they have no couplers and you don't foresee adding or changing couplers, chuck them... Just do it..You won't miss them later on....
Been doing this for 40 some years so I can put kadee's on just about anything so if the car is of interest to me they get changed

I can see doing something interesting with the flat and the tank car.
I agree the rest excluding the passenger cars would be practice cars or give away, I have some too.

How about a Wabash in UP colors ??
The Wabash and Union Pacific ran joint passenger trains, so that the UP could reach further east, and the Wabash could reach further west. Most notably the City of St. Louis. It ran on Wabash track from St Louis to Kansas City, then on the Kansas Pacific (Union Pacific) through Kansas to Denver and Laramie then on the real Union Pacific to Los Angeles.

You will also find Milwalkee and Chicago Northwestern cars painted in yellow for the same reason.

Back