My Northern Pacific Butte Montana Layout.

In my opinion - the Lowey Paint Scheme wins hands down!

Both you guys make good arguments on the cost aspect.

I agree on the Lowey Paint Scheme, my problem is it came out in 1954 and I model 1953. Would one year really make that big of a difference? No, as I'm not a hard core stickler about following the prototype. Maybe someday I will make a Lowey schemed train. Just not terribly important at this late date.

I agree on how expensive this hobby could be. 90% of my stuff is purchased at auctions and estate sales. Yes I have some JUNK in the mix, but I have some really cool stuff as well....Now to get it running and working.

I had purchased a bunch of MDC Roundhouse and Athearn Freight Cars, the first 10 years I was in this hobby. I sold off many of these cars on Ebay when I decided to replace most of them with more detailed cars, like Branchline, Proto 2000, Red Caboose, Intermountain and other more detailed kits. When most modelers felt that these more detailed kits were too difficult to build; or, the manufacturers learned they could sell more by offering them as pre-built RTR, this is when the prices of rolling stock went absolutely bonkers! I also determined that the details on the more detailed cars were not noticeable in HO when the cars were being pulled around in a train and that distinguishing the difference between the highly detailed cars and the old MDC/Roundhouse and Athearn cars really didn't make much difference to me. So, the hobby took a tack with the pre built and higher prices of rolling stock, than I was willing to follow! Now, my only requisite for rolling stock purchases is that it is a kit!

Possibly, some of you who have purchased built Athearn and MDC Roundhouse freight cars off Ebay have purchase some of my old rolling stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest Project, this is a MDC Roundhouse Ten Wheeler with added details to make it look like a Northern Pacific S-4 4-6-0. It also has a TCS WOW101-KA sound decoder and Keep Alive capacitor system.

HPIM8117 (1).JPG

I have to say that the above locomotive has given me FITS! In particular the TCS WOW Steam KA decoder installation has been the problem, couple this with a new Zephyr Express and it's like I need to learn DCC all over again. For the past month almost, I have been attempting to get the locomotive to work properly. I work on it a couple of hours, get totally frustrated and set it aside and work on something else. I'm not going to list the problems with it as I am in contact with TCS about what is going on; so, I don't need 4 more opinions on how to fix it. The reason for this post is simply to let off some steam about how frustrating the hobby can be at times. I have installed non-sound decoders in 10-15 locomotives with good results. This is the second sound decoder equipped locomotive I have done and neither one worked out very well!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Roundhouse 10 Wheeler is still on the bench. I can say that I love the TCS 101 Steam sound! Very realistic!

I have an ABA set of old Athearn F-7s that I painted and decaled for the Northern Pacific (they came in Green which was a mistake on Athearn's part as all N.P. Freight units where black and not green). I have powered one A and the B Unit with NWSL motors which has made these locomotives wonderful and smooth running pullers! The un-powered A unit still has a cheap decoder in it that turns the headlight on when the unit is backing up. I decided it would be nice to have a cheap sound decoder in this unit, so the set would have some sounds and purchased a Digitrax sound and light SFX0416 Decoder to put in the un-powered A unit. Last week I installed this unit and could not get it to work. I talked with Digitrax about it and we decided to send it back to the manufacturer. So, I now have three strikes against me as far as installing sound in a locomotive is concerned!!!

So, I now have three strikes against me as far as installing sound in a locomotive is concerned!!!
That could mean you're out, or that you've got past the trial and error phase, quickly. Only a 4th may indicate which. (remember, I said, may)

Sorry to jump onto a 7 month old thread, but I'm looking for some help on putting together a North Coast Ltd. or Mainstreeter passenger consist in the pine tree scheme. I must be one of those odd people that really like the NP's pine tree scheme. I picked up an Athearn Genesis loco on ebay in pine tree scheme and have some of the Rivarossi cars. I know they are not protoypical, but the specific question I have is weather there was ever a dome car in the pine tree scheme (like Rivarossi's car no. 557). From the research I have done, it appears not. It seems NP purchased domes and went to the Loewy scheme in 1954. So does anyone know if the Rivarossi dome is completely off base, or was there some other lesser known NP pax train that was painted in pine tree?

By the way, what is up with ho scale domes in NP Loewy scheme? Old Walthers versions are going for $200 on ebay? Walthers needs to sit up and pay attention to that and think about a new run of Loewy scheme cars or doing North Coast Limited for their next name train.

What time period are you wanting to model. When I was a kid we rode on both the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha and the North Coast limited. in both the pine tree and Lowey paint schemes. The Northern Pacific changed from the pine tree to the Lowey paint scheme in 1954.
20171108_164002.jpg

Here's a mix of both paint schemes.

IMAG1209.jpg

Power is available in both paint schemes but finding the passenger cars could be a problem. Riverossi put some out along with IHC but I don't know if they are making the passenger cars any more.

Sorry to jump onto a 7 month old thread, but I'm looking for some help on putting together a North Coast Ltd. or Mainstreeter passenger consist in the pine tree scheme. I must be one of those odd people that really like the NP's pine tree scheme. I picked up an Athearn Genesis loco on ebay in pine tree scheme and have some of the Rivarossi cars. I know they are not protoypical, but the specific question I have is weather there was ever a dome car in the pine tree scheme (like Rivarossi's car no. 557). From the research I have done, it appears not. It seems NP purchased domes and went to the Loewy scheme in 1954. So does anyone know if the Rivarossi dome is completely off base, or was there some other lesser known NP pax train that was painted in pine tree?

By the way, what is up with ho scale domes in NP Loewy scheme? Old Walthers versions are going for $200 on ebay? Walthers needs to sit up and pay attention to that and think about a new run of Loewy scheme cars or doing North Coast Limited for their next name train.
You might do better if you started a new thread. The fellow who "owned " this one is no longer in this group. A new thread may attract more attention. As for your question, it depends. How prototypical do you want to be? Are stand ins OK? If so, here's a list of NP models I found. You'll have to scroll down several pages to get to the passenger cars. It only covers plastic, and I'm not sure what is still in production but at least you'll know what is out there. Brass isn't addressed on this list. It's the best way to go if you want to stick to prototypically accurate models, but it's expensive, and you'll probably end up having to paint some of the cars. I'd recommend you look at the NP's historical society. You'll find good information on what was in the train, and possibly where you can get the models or what's closest to what you need. The Rivarossi dome is based on a UP car, so it's technically not accurate for an NP car. Passenger train modeling is fun. I've put together several trains by piecing consists together over the years. I went for prototypical accuracy and spent a horrible amount of money and years finding the models and painting and lettering them. I'd recommend you think a little about your budget and what you'll be satisfied with before starting. :)

Here's the NP model list. Good Luck. When you get started, share your efforts with us. We like photos!
http://www.nprha.org/lists/np model...9}&SortField=Equipment_x0020_Type&SortDir=Asc

It took forever to page through all 32 pages of this thread. You have been very busy, NP2626. It sounds like you are having fun, so what else is needed?!?

Walthers needs to sit up and pay attention to that and think about a new run of Loewy scheme cars or doing North Coast Limited for their next name train.
No, they'll wait till you've bought other roads, stripped, repainted and decaled them before they do that just after you finished them. But on the other hand, they may never do them again, not the demand for them they'll say.

Back