Long time admirer, first time do-er.

Zombie13

Greetings and hallucinations. When I was a kid I had a small Tyco HO train set that came out at Christmas to go around the tree. I always wanted to build a nice diorama style set but never had the time, patience, or skill needed. Now as an adult I've rekindled the interest and am starting to get things running again.

Starting with a simple DC based double-oval layout with some tunnels and a 'bridge'. Unfortunately for me, I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible because money is tight right now, but I have an Athearn loco and a bunch of Tyco and Bachmann rolling stock so I'll at least be able to have a train running.

I have plans to upgrade to DCC using DCC++ and an Arduino based system because I'm cheap and it allows flexibility if I decide to move away from model trains. Being a systems admin, the Arduino path actually interests me as well and meshes with the DIY aspect of things I really like.

I've been reading for a while and lurking but since I actually have track setup (finally) I figured I'd join...

Thanks,
Z.

No discouragement here: Just jump right in and build something. You will make mistakes, but that's part of the whole process.

I thought I could avoid layout mistakes by carefully studying the experts. That's like thinking you can be a doctor by watching TV shows about doctors.

Welcome, fellow new guy. I’m slowly working my way out of the shadows as well. Be sure to post pics as you go. I plan on that as well but like you, time and money are slight issues.

Greetings.

A a network admin, you'd think I was DCC, but like you I'm cheap. You can pick up used items in various places like estate sales, goodwill, etc.

Welcome aboard Z. Read lot, ask lots of questions. Best way to learn. Lots of good people with a lot of knowledge to share on here.

Greetings.

A a network admin, you'd think I was DCC, but like you I'm cheap. ...

As a network admin, you are probably sick of computer problems all day, and don't want to go home to them, too. My father was an inside sales person, taking calls all day. At home, in the evening, he would not pick up the phone even if he was the only one in the house.

As a network admin, you are probably sick of computer problems all day, and don't want to go home to them, too. My father was an inside sales person, taking calls all day. At home, in the evening, he would not pick up the phone even if he was the only one in the house.

And you wonder why I don't DO the computer at home. LOL

I get into too much trouble at work already.....

Back