Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all. Cool, 53, and overcast in Houston. Big Boy departed this morning at 10:00 heading up state. It was a very enjoyable visit especially since I was able to to it with my son. We asked a guy to take a photo of us by Big Boy and he agreed to. He was a Navy vet, and kidded me about being over 6 foot tall in the Coast Guard. (You need to be 6 ft. or taller so you can wade ashore when your boat sinks).
Well with today being dreary I guess I'll see what kind of trouble I can get into on the layout.
Yeah, I remember that one about wading ashore. My own retort to that was that they only laughed until they needed us.

My own Big Boy is causing trouble again. Now the problem is that I can't do any more work on the layout until I take BB off of it. But I don't want to! I enjoy just watching it go around. And I've got all those other loco's I could be running. Sigh.

Yeah, I remember that one about wading ashore. My own retort to that was that they only laughed until they needed us.

My own Big Boy is causing trouble again. Now the problem is that I can't do any more work on the layout until I take BB off of it. But I don't want to! I enjoy just watching it go around. And I've got all those other loco's I could be running. Sigh.
At 18.png

Years later, when our elder son had been in the Army for about a year, he told us he didn't enjoy coming home to see his old friends anymore because "they had all changed." After a moment's pause, I said something on the order of, "your friends are mostly still living with their parents and are working penny-ante jobs, or are going to college which means they're doing pretty much the same thing as they did in high school; meanwhile, you're throwing grenades, rappelling out of helicopters, and travelling the world on the Government's dime. Your friends aren't the ones who have changed." Dead silence from him.

Good afternoon. 58 degrees and sunny.

I sure have a choir of whiners blaming me for the cold weather. We do try to wear it out a bit before sending it east. You should blame the Canadians to the north of me who send it down here.

Johnny - Another nice photo. Things are moving along. The ranch house came out nice.

Willie -
Another good photo from yo also. Like the rake on the cop car. Must have a Caddy engine under the hood.

Garry - That little 44 tonner looks good leaving the scrap yard. Nice.

Sherrel
- How about you sending some of the warm weather further north so I don't get picked om so much. Hope your daughter is doing well. I used to do a lot of flying years ago. Being a cop, i did carry and when I went to the gate, I would have the people at the gate ask the pilot if he minded me carrying. Never had a problem, but at that thine there was a hijacking problem. There was also a lot more leg room on th planes back in the 70's and 80's. Now they just keep putting them closer together so they can cram more people into the plane. The pickup is still working ??? You must be holding your mouth right.

Hobo
- Nice shots of the Big Boy.

IBKen - Nice to see you posting some photos. I love it when an easy project doesn't work out as planned.

Like the photo of the CG boat. Looks like one heck of a ride. My buddy in the Navy who I shared an apartment with was six foot seven and it usually took him about a week before he would stand up straight. Had to constantly duck on board ship because of the low overhead. Worked with one guy who was 6'11". I loved the answer he gave the people when they asked how tall he was. He would tell them "five foot twenty three" and leave them standing there counting their fingers.

Bowling tonight. Going to try to take four again.

index.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Went to see Midway today with Dad and son. It was a pretty good movie with the exception of some Rah Rah scenes. It covered Pearl, air strike on the Marshall Islands, Dolittle Raid and of course Midway. Tomorrow I'm heading down to see my buddy Tom in Orlando and whoever else shows up.

Ken- Yeah that sounds like it sucks. Can you use plaster with white glue added in for hardening?

Johnny- Nice looking house.

Willie- The building will look good when it's cleaned up.

Sherrel- I hope everything went well with your daughter today.

Chet- Good luck bowling tonight.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....the Sun finally appeared and the temps were in the mid 20's. Our driveway is clear of all snow and ice.

Worked on installing a decoder in that Proto SW1200 and I smoked two decoders. I've hard wired many decoders and never had problems like I encountered today. Every thing was wired properly with the motor insulated from the frame and the motor tested with DC. Having two bad decoders is rare. Oh well.

Tomorrow I will clean up the layout room.

I did run some trains today and that new Bachmann 70 tonner which arrived yesterday runs with some noise in forward and reverse, but is something I can live with when pulling a train. A 60 dollar locomotive and the low price shows in its performance. I ran a Proto SOO GP-7 with sound and it is a well broken in loco and I use it for track cleaning. Tomorrow if I have time I'll remove the rolling stock in the Pine River yard and clean the yard's tracks.

That's all for now.

Miller Time in Wisconsin.

Greg

###################

Laughting chipmunk.gif
What do you mean...no derailments allowed!-Greg

Last edited:
LEE - Glad you liked the photo. Interesting that you are familiar with the location.
Your tractor - the Autocar - is a real gem. What year is it?
I'm sorry to hear that you are selling it, but believe me I understand.

Good night everyone enjoy your weekend. Tomorrow morning I’ll be selling my old Autocar show truck I’ve had for 18yrs due to my physical condition I just can’t keep up with it like it should be taken care of so I’m selling it to someone who can. Take care

View attachment 41376View attachment 41377

Nice truck Lee,they made some of the best municipal plow trucks. A lot of guys were said they got away from them. Western Star makes a nice truck now,our county highway bought a couple and love them. Out west they have them in 6x6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back