Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me about it! I don't know how many times I've had to argue with people who insist that we weren't military and/or one of the Armed Forces. I even cite the damned law (USC Ch 14, para 1) and they come back with something like "but they're not under the Defense Department."
Most folks don't know the Coast Guard was involved in every war that the USA has been in. Per capita the Coast Guard lost more persons than any other service. They forget landing craft was operated by CG personal.

Good morning everyone. 37 and raining. rained all night, too.

Chessie, Flip, Tom, Garry, Lee, Sherrel, Patrick, Wheeler, CCoffran, Willie, Chet, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my photo yesterday.

Nice pic Johnny
Flip - Sorry to hear about the problems. Hang in there, pray.
Patrick - That Monty Python song is great! I have always liked the British humor (my wife is British by birth, by the way) - Python, John Cleese, the shows Are You Being Served and Fawlty Towers - - this is great stuff.
Garry - Another nice photo from your layout - you really get some highly realistic looks.
Chet - Weather guy here says we're in for lows in the single digits and teens next week. It's too early in the season for that! :mad: Evidently my box fans aren't blowing that Montanan/Canadian air back to you fast enough :D

Ran trains for a little while last night. Found some cars that like to decouple, and figured out it must be mismatched couplers - one high, one low so when they go around a curve they'll decouple. Gotta fix that.

Finished the ranch tract house. Pretty satisfied with it. Just have to put a couple of folks on the porch, maybe a bench there too. Will post final photo soon.

Decided to add the south end of main street to the section I'm going to work on next. It's been sitting there for a couple of years this way:

View attachment 41332
I may replace that house with another store or two, add the landscaping, and fix that road - it really looks awful. Those 1:87 citizens have been paying their taxes, so I guess it's about time to put their money to use on street improvements ;)

I won't get started on this area for a few days, probably. Will post progress photos.

That's it for now. My coffee pot is calling.
Have a good day everyone.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 49*F with drizzle in my central MD neighborhood, gonna get down to the freezing mark by morning! Don't know how long it's been since my pevious post, coupla weeks maybe? Anyways I finally have something to talk about on here.

Back in mid-October I ordered some static grass materials so I could make the other half of my mainline peninsula worthy of photographing. All kinds of s*** happened in the meantime, draining my energy and leaving me unmotivated to do any layout work. Monday evening I decided to force myself to plant some of that grass. Then when I went out there, I realized I needed to cover the painted [but bare] plywood surface before applying any grass.

All my LHS had in stock was this stuff...

SouthBrooklynWS_CrappyPlaster.jpg

...so I figured I'd give it a try. Big mistake! After mixing up a batch to cover an area of ~1 square foot, it turned brittle and crumbly after I put down the first few square-inches. I re-examined the instructions, then noticed that it had a working time of 5 minutes. Five minutes!? <insert expletives here>

I wound up having to throw away this first batch after wasting an hour of scarce free time on the project. So today I left work early so I could get some extra time to do the earth-buildup. I had to make sure to only mix 4oz of Mold-a-Scene at a time, to get it in place before it set up. After ~3 hours' effort, this is all I've got to show for it (circled in red):

SouthBrooklynCrossingUnderbed01.jpg

I'm trying to raise the level of the White Castle Hamburgers parking lot by a quarter-inch, and having it line-up "flush" with the asphalt of the adjoining road. I used leftover 'dirt ballast', saturated with watered-down Elmer's, as the asphalt road underbed. Then I used a piece of sheet styrene that was the exact size and shape of the 'asphalt' section to line up the parking lot. (Didn't want to use the actual painted pavement slab itself since the paint would be ruined if it got wet, learned that lesson the last time...o_O) Here is a closeup of the area I've done:

SouthBrooklynCrossingUnderbed02.jpg

The bottom line is, 3-D scenery and I just don't get along! I know guys who would've gotten 5 sq-ft finished in an hour; as for me, I'll be lucky if I can get 2 sq-ft done in a month!:rolleyes: Guess it's time to order some real hydrocal...

Sherrell - got your daughter on the prayer list!

Phil - sorry to hear about all the medical woes. MOH and I had our own share of those in these past months, so I know all too well how disruptive that can be. Will add you to the prayer list as well!

Everyone - We're beginning to see some chatter on the forum about winter coming, dropping temperatures, expected snow falls, etc. Of course, trains have to keep running even through the snow. So I thought I'd find a couple of train snow plow videos on Youtube:

There are dozens of these kinds of videos out there, as I'm sure you all know. I never did get to see one of these snow plows in action for real, so I'm fascinated by the work they do in these videos.

Enjoy the videos. And enjoy winter, if you can ;)

Johnny - great snowplow action, now allow me to share MY favorite plow video [the first 3 minutes, before it stalls out]:

There are other conversations going on here that I wish I could join, but I just don't have the time [still got a daytime job]. Gotta get a fire going in the woodstove now, see y'all later!

Good morning everyone. 25 and cold out there. Bring me a whole pot of coffee, too, Flo. Did I mention it's cold outside? Hmm, sounds like a Christmas song.

Ken, Tom, Willie, Wheeler, Chessie, Flip, CCoffran, Patrick, Curt, Mikey, Sherrel, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes, comments, and suggestions.
Ken - Yeah, that's a great video of snowplowing on Donner Pass.
Sherrel - Those 1:87 DOT workers really screwed up that crossing. I fired the whole bunch of them and will have a new crew redoing it soon :D
Chet - I'm tellin' ya, it's too early in the season for temps in the teens and 20s for this part of the country. Brrrrr! Close that door!!

Finished the Walthers Ranch Tract House last night and put it in place on the layout. Added some bushes but I have some flowers stashed somewhere and will add them when I can find them, also a couple of small trees. Here are a few photos:

RanchHouseFinished1.jpg
RanchHouseFinished2.jpg
RanchHouseFinished3.jpg

Sorry the last photo is a little fuzzy. Not all that satisfied with the way the roof came out - not a very realistic "wear pattern" but it'll do. Need to add a gravel driveway and the flowers and a couple of small trees. I do like the Mr. and Mrs on the porch, he reading the newspaper and she heading out to shop.

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 37° and cloudy. Clouds will move out by mid-afternoon and we'll warm up to 53°. Much warmer tomorrow and Sunday. Warm south winds for the next 54 hours and then a severe norther hits Monday around noon. I've given you mid-America guys plenty of notice to start shutting those doors.
While the weekly grocery/beer trek went OK yesterday, it was a slow one due to the rain. Traffic on the Interstate was barely going 75 the whole way, going and coming home. It seemed that none of the traffic lights in the big city were in synchronization yesterday either.
My expectation of my pond just behind the train shed finally getting some water in it after four months of "dry", came true. Although only about 2/3 full, it's enough to start attracting migratory birds for a visit.
11-08-19 009.JPG

Some sausage links and blueberry pancakes should hit the spot this morning Flo. As usual, double order of that wonderful sausage.

Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterdays posting of the traffic offender; Jerome, Justin, Johnny, Sherrel, Patrick, Clint, Phil, Curt, Tom, Mikey, Ken, Lee. That does kinda look like Officer Chet!

I got a bit of time in the train shed yesterday afternoon. I did a little more detailing of the dilapidated barn, but forgot to take pictures. I did however get some shots of the rehab structure that I removed from the layout. A bit of background first. This is one of five structures that were known as "Storefront Buildings" by IHC. This one is "O'Weeds Greenery", a flower/plant shop. I built it almost 30 years ago and it resided in my old train room which was neither climate-controlled nor varmint proof. When I moved it to it's current location, I did not clean it up or repair it; I assumed that I would get to it sooner but some plans just don't happen. I decided to tackle it as an aside to working on other parts of the layout. Here's what I am starting with.
11-08-19 001.JPG

11-08-19 002.JPG

11-08-19 003.JPG

Obviously cleanup is first, I have the missing handrail from the LH side of the door and the over the sidewalk sign droops down badly. All pretty easy fixes that will start soon...actually started yesterday.

Jan - If I remember your name correctly, great L&N pictures. That MOW road is a great example of what used to be quite common.
Johnny - I agree that that is the worst grade crossing that I have ever seen!;)
Patrick -
Willie:You could open the door and let the south wind bring up the warm air from the gulf....
I do, but I think that OK uses it up before it gets to your esteemed state.
Sherrel -
OK - off my soapbox .... it's still the safest way to travel!
While I dislike flying, you are right. It's so much safer now that Captain Weems retired.:eek:
Greg - Broken handrails are one of the situations that I use that UV cured glue for.
Mikey - It's a guy driving, Since he goes to the same church as the officer, he only got a warning.
...to $556.00 for an off brand Korean 5,000 mile tire...
5,000 mile! Let the buyer beware.

Today is National Harvey Wallbanger Day. Although they were quite popular when I was in my 20's, I never had one. I didn't know that they were even still around.

Everybody have a great day, and a great weekend to all who do not visit on the weekends.

Morning all,

Coffee and one of those big cinnamon rolls this morning. Don't need the sweet, but sometimes you just gotta..besides my blood glucose and A1C are on the low sides.

Currently 24* and clear with a high today of about 55*. Sunny and warmer tomorrow and Sunday with temps falling as another front comes through bringing the possibility of snow.

They have started growing cotton over the past 8-10 years. It does cut down a little where the deer are as they don't seem to eat the stuff. The fields look like they have snow on them as the cotton opens. They won't harvest it until January-February, although the plants are dead when the frost\freeze hits them.

PNKFLOYD: I hear you on the tires for the Equinox. I had my normal Tire guy quote me tires (don't need them yet, but planning ahead and had a price of $1100 for 80,000 tires for my 2016 (ouch). I usually do better than the listed mileage on them anyway.

WILLIE: You may be right about those folks in OK. It does tend to stop short of the border...

OK // I'm up after staying up too late last evening. If you guys will stop complaining - I will share some of the 89 degree temperatures that we are forecast today! It's 48* as we speak with the record low on this date being 36* in 2000.
The daughter is probably being wheeled into surgery about now. Her husband, Michael, is a pharmacist and was working last evening, so I had her come over and I managed to throw together a "short-order" dinner for the two of us. I made a salad, pan-fried pork chops, and baked zucchini and squash! Bet you guys didn't think I could do it?
I just may try and do it again tonight for them - if they are up for it after the hospital run this morning.
Thanks to all for the WELL-WISHES and prayers. GOD, I so pray that her elbow will be OK.

Willie -- I used to tell the folks who were on their first airplane flight:
Not to worry, folks ... we have never left one up there yet!
I like your "pond" scene out the window!

Mickey -- Where is Henrey Ford? We need to bring him back - owning an automobile is rapidly becoming a luxury!

Hughie: Great photos of 4014! Was the 4141 there for looks, or was it the "safety net"?

IB-KEN - Sorry to hear that your project is balking at you! I have never seen you do anything halfway, so I figure that you are just going to keep at it until it is correct? Stay warm, Are you doing O.K. from your prior condition? How about your Spousal Unit?

Praise be -- the truck continues to run ... maybe it suddenly realized that I was about to drop it off at "Kars for Kids"?

Good morning everyone. 25 and cold out there. Bring me a whole pot of coffee, too, Flo. Did I mention it's cold outside? Hmm, sounds like a Christmas song.

Ken, Tom, Willie, Wheeler, Chessie, Flip, CCoffran, Patrick, Curt, Mikey, Sherrel, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes, comments, and suggestions.
Sherrel - Those 1:87 DOT workers really screwed up that crossing. I fired the whole bunch of them and will have a new crew redoing it soon :D
Chet - I'm tellin' ya, it's too early in the season for temps in the teens and 20s for this part of the country. Brrrrr! Close that door!!

Finished the Walthers Ranch Tract House last night and put it in place on the layout. Added some bushes but I have some flowers stashed somewhere and will add them when I can find them, also a couple of small trees. Here are a few photos:

View attachment 41354View attachment 41355View attachment 41356

Sorry the last photo is a little fuzzy. Not all that satisfied with the way the roof came out - not a very realistic "wear pattern" but it'll do. Need to add a gravel driveway and the flowers and a couple of small trees. I do like the Mr. and Mrs on the porch, he reading the newspaper and she heading out to shop.

Looks great Johnny I like the last pic. Chet open both doors this morning 19 degrees at the house

Good Morning Everyone....partly sunny and cold here in Wisconsin.

Finally worked on my basket case Proto C&NW SW-1200. Yesterday, I disassemble the trucks and gear towers and cleaned them in alcohol. A bit of light grease on the brass worm gears and let the locomotive lube the rest when running. The gear lube is a jelly and then forms almost a liquid under pressure. I am missing some screws and the coupler pockets. The coupler pockets I will use are Kadee pockets and hopefully find some screws that will fit the threads.

I have a storage compartment with over miniature 500 screws that I've collected, but never have the right one when you need it. I wish some one would offer an assortment of screws for the various manufactures like Atlas and Proto that one could maintain an inventory. I still need one screw to hold the shell to the frame.

I test ran the motor and it runs smooth. Wow...are the wheel sets oxidized without having any use for many years since 2006. I plan on fitting a Digitrax "El Cheapo" 123 decoder in the locomotive and either 14 volt or 12 volt lamps. Not sure if I'll use a resistor to cut down on the in-rush of electricity when I apply power to the decoder. Totally forgotten what size resistor to use.

That's all for now....

Later.

Greg

#############################

Howdy .....

WIlie, Johnny, Sherrel, Curt and anyone I missed thanks for commenting on my photo. Also, thanks to all who "liked" it.

Not much model railroading to report I still have the nasty cold I mentioned early in the week Cant do anything. Look like I will cancel going to the Evansville train show tomorrow.

Everybody .... Have a nice Friday.

Good morning! 46F at 9am in the SLC area. A bit warmer than they were getting in Ft Wayne the last few days. Made it back from ft Wayne last night around midnight. Had to get up for work meetings. Glad it is a weekend after today.

I need to straighten my desks up and my work tables etc.

Morning Gang! A bit chilly here! 22 degrees this morning. Its gonna be 18 degrees tonight. Winter is coming in quick for us here. Working today. Tonight I gotta pick-up the log splitter from my sister house. Need to split wood tomorrow morning for 3 hours worth of work. Should be able to get that done. Then I got to winterize my fishing boat a little bit but I don't put that away until the 2nd week of December or when we have hard water/ice :). Tomorrow night will be dedicated to relocating shelving from bedroom #2 to bedroom #3. Bedroom #2 will be my new train room which will be temporary for about 9 months to a year until my garage expansion is completed. I was going to place the train room in bedroom #4 but I decided against it because it's really where my guest stay. I get visitors from time to time in the spring and summer months. Not many come in the winter lol I wonder why? lol Layout designs has begun for my small little journey. I have to keep things simple for the relocation purposes. Some say why not wait until the garage expansion is done? Well I cant sit idle. I have a lot other hobbies but I want to get my things out as mentioned in another post I am dusting off all my MRR stuff that had been in storage for some time because of my job/moving/travels. Now that I have settled here and have this new house and will be here for at least 6-8 years might as well enjoy it! Well ya'll have a good day back to work for me.

OK // I'm up after staying up too late last evening. If you guys will stop complaining - I will share some of the 89 degree temperatures that we are forecast today! It's 48* as we speak with the record low on this date being 36* in 2000.
The daughter is probably being wheeled into surgery about now. Her husband, Michael, is a pharmacist and was working last evening, so I had her come over and I managed to throw together a "short-order" dinner for the two of us. I made a salad, pan-fried pork chops, and baked zucchini and squash! Bet you guys didn't think I could do it?
I just may try and do it again tonight for them - if they are up for it after the hospital run this morning.
Thanks to all for the WELL-WISHES and prayers. GOD, I so pray that her elbow will be OK.

Willie -- I used to tell the folks who were on their first airplane flight:
Not to worry, folks ... we have never left one up there yet!
I like your "pond" scene out the window!

Mickey -- Where is Henrey Ford? We need to bring him back - owning an automobile is rapidly becoming a luxury!

Hughie: Great photos of 4014! Was the 4141 there for looks, or was it the "safety net"?

IB-KEN - Sorry to hear that your project is balking at you! I have never seen you do anything halfway, so I figure that you are just going to keep at it until it is correct? Stay warm, Are you doing O.K. from your prior condition? How about your Spousal Unit?

Praise be -- the truck continues to run ... maybe it suddenly realized that I was about to drop it off at "Kars for Kids"?
There were no other diesels there so I assume 4141 was the safety net.

Good morning all. Cool, 53, and overcast in Houston. Big Boy departed this morning at 10:00 heading up state. It was a very enjoyable visit especially since I was able to to it with my son. We asked a guy to take a photo of us by Big Boy and he agreed to. He was a Navy vet, and kidded me about being over 6 foot tall in the Coast Guard. (You need to be 6 ft. or taller so you can wade ashore when your boat sinks).
Well with today being dreary I guess I'll see what kind of trouble I can get into on the layout.

View attachment 41354View attachment 41355View attachment 41356

Are you sure she isn't nagging him to do something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back