Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
32F at 7:55AM. I think it was warmer in the night and a cold front is coming through.

We almost bought an Alliance when I was in HS. Instead, my parents but a Dodge K-Car. It was not the greatest either. I quite liked the Alliance styling at the time.
The Alliance and Encore both rode and handled better than the K cars. The big let down was the powerplant and electronics. The 1.4l engine and 3 speed electrically-shifted transmission were unreliable in the extreme. A heater core that regularly failed and dumped boiling-hot coolant on the driver’s feet added to the experience—and not in a good way.

The Alliance and Encore both rode and handled better than the K cars. The big let down was the powerplant and electronics. The 1.4l engine and 3 speed electrically-shifted transmission were unreliable in the extreme. A heater core that regularly failed and dumped boiling-hot coolant on the driver’s feet added to the experience—and not in a good way.

We actually had 2 K-cars. A two-door bare bones loss leader manual my dad drove, and a 4 door, A/C and the normal bells and whistles, with automatic, as my mom's car/family car. Neither lasted terribly long (in New England). Both were bought around 1982 and in 1988 I inherited the 2 door bare bones and drove it a few months. It developed an oil leak and I took it to a local mechanic, who put it on the lift and told me the frame was rusted through and a big bump on a train track would break it and I shouldn't drive it any more.

I ended up with a VW Golf GL 2 door and have basically been driving VW ever since (with a small Volvo detour on the family side, which was replaced with a VW after it was totalled, and my current Audi, which is just a more expensive VW).

Cars have come a long way since then in terms of durability.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 50 and raining like mad out there. Started somewhere after midnight and will rain all day and into tomorrow - Good grief, Charlie Brown!!

Lots of activity on the forum yesterday. I missed most of it but did look over everything this morning. Some nice photos, a couple of interesting videos, etc. Flip, Sherrel, Patrick, Willie, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments from yesterday.

Had Grandma and Grandpa duty yesterday and last night. Took care of our youngest granddaughter, the 3 year old who loves the trains. Playing "Grandpa's hiding - Can you find him?" and drinking invisible tea from her teakettle get old after a while. We can put on a DVD movie, but we prepare to wear her out. Didn't work last night, though - - I'm the one who got worn out while she was wound up tighter than a drum, jumping out of bed each time we put her in, running around the house - - even after we turned out all the lights she would get out of bed and walk around until she bumped into something, then she'd howl and MOH would get her back into bed. I'm at work today and MOH is at home taking care of her until her parents come home from the conference tonight.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 22 degrees to start off the day with clear skies.

Beady - Nice photos and video. I always lover the looks of the Burlington E units. Don;t think the big boy is going to fit on the turntable.

Mike - The problem with immigrants not understand the language is a bit of a sore point with me. I know I made my best effort to use the local language even though I was only a visitor to the country. People immigrating to the US should use the English language as it is the language of the country. English is one of the hardest languages to learn, but at least learn enough to communicate Why should I have to learn the language of someone who has moved here from another country. (I learned European Spanish and can be at a loss when hearing Cuban or Mexican Spanish).

Chad - Enjoyed the photo of your layout, but the wiring ????? icon_lol.gif

Rick - Really an interesting video you posted. Nice.

Louis - As usual, you posted some really nice photos. The WM Alcos are nice. Love that Pennsy steamer running in the street. The only thing our little doxie is going to wear for Halloween is the fur she was born with.

Sherrel - Sweet looking Frisco power. If you're not using a truck on a regular basis, why don;t you just rent one when you need it. U-Haul rents them fairly inexpensively. I have no idea how often you'll need it, but I probably move mine so I can mow under it than I need to take it to haul something.

Clint - I have seen that video. Think the Japanese win.

Terry - I was never really impressed with the Alliance, but then, very few of the vehicles of that time period were really winners. The government know better than we do what we want. I did buy a Dodge Daytona (basically a K car with a different body) from my cousin in Indiana that wasn't bad. The little 2.2 four banger with the turbo was a fun car to drive. That was my second and last Chrysler product. Bought a '68 Charger R/T with a 440 six pack when I was stationed in the yards in Charleston, SC. For some reason, the rear tires never lasted very long.

Willie - I had bought a few of the Magnuson resin vehicles years ago. Didn't mind it when they were cast in clear resin, but the solid colors turned me off. Found that a lot of clean up work had to be done before painting. A lot of other vehicles have come out in recent years for the period I am modeling, but for the folks modeling more recent times, there is quite a scarcity of decent looking vehicles.

Guess I should post a photo. Here is a club box car I picked up years ago from the North Shore Model Railroad club I visited in Massachusetts.

20180412_170850.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Good morning. 22 degrees to start off the day with clear skies.

Beady - Nice photos and video. I always lover the looks of the Burlington E units. Don;t think the big boy is going to fit on the turntable.
I had initially thought to have the oversized units go straight across the turntable into a separate "yard," but that's not working out. Now, I'm toying with having that yard operate off a separate spur.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores today, not much else. Early start tomorrow acting as family taxi cab driver.

Beady- nice video and meme's.

Louis- Nice steamer pics.

Sherrel- Chevy orange and white days? Nice looking Frisco locos.

Roxie wanting to know why I got up and woke her up.

20191024_134849.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sherrel - Sweet looking Frisco power. If you're not using a truck on a regular basis, why don;t you just rent one when you need it. U-Haul rents them fairly inexpensively. I have no idea how often you'll need it, but I probably move mine so I can mow under it than I need to take to top haul something.

CHET - That is the best advice I have heard in a while! Thanks!
Now I just need to look for something to have as a runabout; however, before I do that ... I am going to take one more shot at getting this thing to run again. If it "bombs" again, it's history .. after all 21 years?

Last edited:
I had bought a few of the Magnuson resin vehicles years ago. Didn't mind it when they were cast in clear resin, but the solid colors turned me off. Found that a lot of clean up work had to be done before painting.

Chet: I have several of these. At the time they came out, there were no other sources for some of the vehicles. The reason they are unfinished and sitting in the box is that they appear to be a PIA to build. Sidebar thought! Considering how unnecessarily difficult some of the premium kits from that era were, it's no wonder so many modelers from that era embraced factory assembled models.

Curt: Your little friend appears annoyed. Not photogenic, I guess. Nice little critter.

BS12M at Little Creek VA.jpg

BS12m working the float bridge at Little Creek, VA. back in the early 1960s. Notice the PRR Ocean going steam tug to the right of the float pier.

Boris

Howdy ...

I'm having a lot of dental work lately. Tuesday morning ,the dentist worked on me for over two hours. .... This morning, I had a root canal.

Saturday, we leave for a week in Arizona.

Beady .... I really liked the photos of the GTW depot in Lansing. I believe I had lunch in the restaurant there many years ago. Also, I am envious of your Silver Streak Zephyr. I wish Kato made it in HO.

Chet ...... You posted some great layout photo.

Willie .... Looks like you are having fun with the old Magnuson kit. I have assembled a couple of their old kits myself.

Here is my FT ABBA on my layout.

48955560878_1e8c20467c_k.jpg

Curt, that is a great photo of your skunk, thank you. She does not look happy. Reminds me of my beagles when I get dressed for work.

Sherrel, I can see why you miss that car! When you have a car like that you should drive slow to show it off.

Garry, I'm sorry to hear about the dental work. I know that can be expensive and painful. I don't know which hurts more? Thank God you have the resources to pay for it and I hope it goes as easy as possible. God willing you will be having a steak diner before you know it.

Speaking of Zephyrs, I love them all!
Here is a photo of the model I plan to run under my family room Christmas tree this year.
Lionel's O scale, North Pole Central, Christmas Zephyr. My wife is often indifferent to my trains, but even she likes this one.
1571993201996.png

Good morning Everybody!

It's 53 with 90% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

As Willie pointed out by "needling" me about too much caffeine, it's easy to see when I'm feeling good. (Willie, I would have loved to sit in a baseball dugout with you, that would have been fun. Add Sherrel to the mix and we might have become notorious!) :) I give the credit for my quick recovery to God and Amazon. I don't like to exercise or any kind of tanning for that matter. I never have, even when I played semi-pro ball I did not like it and avoided it as much as possible. I have always been motivated to win or do a good job! Amazon gives me the opportunity to work when I feel up to it and it's easy, but keeps me active. Yesterday afternoon was a perfect example. I had 15 stops and 3.5 hours to get them done. best of all I was never more than 30 minutes from home. Unlike the day before when I ended my route inside the DC Beltway (I495/I95) at 5 pm, an hour and 15 minutes from home, in heavy traffic! Not every ride can be on the gravy train. I'm more than happy to take the good with the bad, thank God.

Like I always say "Everyday is a good day, some are just better than others."

Have a great day Everybody and stay active if you can.

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
In partnership with The Conrail Historical Society, the B&O Railroad Museum will unveil the newly restored Conrail SW7 8905 on Nov 2, 2019 as part of the historical society’s “Conrail Day."
The CRHS and the B&O Railroad Museum have raised $6,000 to restore the locomotive to its 1980s Conrail paint scheme, making it the first piece of Conrail painted equipment at the museum. The restoration pays homage to Conrail’s operational history in the Baltimore region and brings a much needed update to the historic locomotive’s façade.
“We are so pleased to have partnered with the Conrail Historical Society to return the 8905 to its rightful colors”, said Kris Hoellen, Executive Director of the B&O Railroad Museum, “it has been a great partnership.”
The locomotive, which the B&O purchased to carry museum guests along the historic first mile of commercial railroad ever laid in the United States, will resume its regular operations carrying thousands of passengers along the rails each year.
This is the CRHS’s first membership event at the B&O Railroad Museum.

1571996099579.png

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
Chessie System GP40-2 GM50, painted gold to mark GM's 50th anniversary in September 1972, is seen on display at the B&O Railroad Museum in November 1978, shot by Ed Hess. The loco would stay in gold paint until not long after the Baltimore Chapter requested its use on its "Royal Blue" excursion from Baltimore to Philadelphia and return in April 1983; it was requested for a Pittsburgh excursion that September but got repainted and renumbered (B&O 4164) between the two trips. It's now still in CSX service as CSX 6063, and has supposedly been promised to the B&O Railroad Museum.

1571996267281.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back