MOTOR RECOMENDATIONS PLEASE

blackz28

BOUGHT THIS MTH GUTTED BIG BOY I ORDERED REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM BLI & NOW IM PLANNING ON SOUND DECODER & MOTOR SO ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON MOTOR???? SINCE I WILL BE GOING WITH TCS WOW DECODER
GUTTED 4014.jpg
GUTTED BIG BOY.jpg

Last edited:
never had a mth big boy gutted ... so no recommendations ...
by the way, using all caps makes it -appear- as if you are shouting

Right now there are a ton of cheap motors on eBay. I don’t know what size motor opening you might have so I can’t make a recommendation other than to take a look and see which one might fit. I’ve bought a bunch of different sizes. They all seem to run well. No stinkers yet.

Right now there are a ton of cheap motors on eBay. I don’t know what size motor opening you might have so I can’t make a recommendation other than to take a look and see which one might fit. I’ve bought a bunch of different sizes. They all seem to run well. No stinkers yet.
I bought a cheap re-motor "kit" on eBay. It was a can motor, a piece of flex tube and some wires. It worked okay for my purpose but the top speed isn't very high. Not a concern for me since I'm just switching, but if you want to high-ball on the mainline you need to check the specs.

NorthWest Shortline is supposed to be coming back and they are a great source.

I bought a cheap re-motor "kit" on eBay. It was a can motor, a piece of flex tube and some wires. It worked okay for my purpose but the top speed isn't very high. Not a concern for me since I'm just switching, but if you want to high-ball on the mainline you need to check the specs.

NorthWest Shortline is supposed to be coming back and they are a great source.
Yeah if you want to pay 30 bucks plus per motor! I bought several batches of motors on eBay. This one, an 18MM square that I've put into several HO Northerns and they work fine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-SF...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 14,400 RPM.

I also bought these, a little higher speed, 22,200 RPM. They look quite a bit like the Kato motors. I haven't installed one yet but have several recommendations from other folks on a brass group I frequent. They get good marks. If you run DCC, and don't want high speed just program your top speed to where you want it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

BOUGHT THIS MTH GUTTED BIG BOY I ORDERED REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM BLI & NOW IM PLANNING ON SOUND DECODER & MOTOR SO ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON MOTOR???? SINCE I WILL BE GOING WITH TCS WOW DECODER View attachment 40103View attachment 40104

Here is a pic of one of the larger Bachmann motors I installed in a Rivarossi AC11. She ended up with right at 4.5 OZ of pulling power (loco needs more weight) with new traction tires. Also has Soundtraxx TSU-2200 and dual iPhone 6 speakers. I still need to add the class lights.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 199
I stick to name brand motors and not the stuff from the PRC. In my brass repowers I normally use Canon CN22 motors, Buhler motors from Germany or coreless ones from Maxon or Falhauber that I source on ebay. Back when NWSL offered Sagami motors, I used those. The newer stuff just before NWSL closed up whilest changing owners, the motors lacked the power and smoothness of the Sagami or Canon motors. Some have used the cheaper motors from China with good results. But I try to stick with what I have used for the last 20 years. Try to use the largest motor you can for the given space, to small can lack torque and power thus will run hot under a load. Mike
Canon CN22 in a PFM/United Shay.
shayremotor.jpg

I stick to name brand motors and not the stuff from the PRC. In my brass repowers I normally use Canon CN22 motors, Buhler motors from Germany or coreless ones from Maxon or Falhauber that I source on ebay.

Depends on the level of the enthusiast. I for one would never pay top dollar for any of this stuff nor would I buy an expensive brass locomotive. I understand what you're saying but paying big bucks for a certain brand of motor when one a 10th of its cost will do that job is just not in the cards. These are toys (to me) after all not surgical operating machines. :)

BTW I did try a canon motor that was purchased on ebay. Was probably a cheap Chinese knockoff because it was very weak (a waste of $30). :-( On the other hand I have never had a problem with surplus Bachmann motors of motors on eBay from China.

The Bachmann motors look like clones of the German Buhler motors to my eye. Genuine Canon motors are made in Japan. My PFM Shay has one now and my Oriental Limited F3 came with one from the factory. I go cheap as well and watch for deals on motors, but I personally stay away from anything cheap looking, no matter were its made. I stick with what I have used for 30 years of working on models and repowering. Sagami motors when I can find what I need, followed by Canon, then the coreless motors(those are the space age motors) But whatever works for you, thats what matters in the end. Cheers Mike

Back