Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 73° and clear here in beautiful North Central Texas this morning. We're still hitting 98° for our high temperature every afternoon. Let's see if I can squeeze in here next to Louis. How about some Eggs Benedict this morning Flo. Extra OJ on the side.

Running late this morning; as I was out walking today, a buddy from around the corner about 1.5 miles away, drove by on his way home from working the overnight shift. We hadn't seen each other in a while and had some catching up to do. He's still a supervisor at a wastewater treatment plant for a large suburb, north of Dallas.
Not much happening around the estate yesterday; I mowed for about an hour, trimmed up some more firewood for winter heating, chipped/shredded more brush and did the laundry. Later I made homemade tacos for supper. Only made two trips to the pool.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Chet, Sherrel, Chad, Louis, Patrick, Johnny, Tom, Justin, Carl.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I painted and attached the loading dock to the casket company.

09-06-19 001.JPG

Something is wrong with the lighting in this view, I have got to get out of the habit of taking pictures on the workbench in front of the window in the late afternoon.
Most likely I'll move back to the layout this afternoon and maybe paint the earth color on the bare plywood in the latest project area. In between waiting for paint to dry, I'll attach the glass to these windows and add additional weathering. At some point I will get out the stash of painted figures and select a few for the gas station and Fresh Market that already have a home.
By the way, Wednesday I mentioned picking up a few Boley vehicles from the LHS, I was mistaken, they are from Oxford. One of the pick up trucks will make an appearance at the market after I weather it. Yes, I weather most of my vehicles.
I meant to post this picture earlier this week, it is the contents of the DPM modular wall dock pack.
09-06-19 001.JPG

Note that instead of two sprues of dock walls, one of them was a sprue of wall columns! E-Mail with picture going to DPM later today!

Beady - Belatedly, have a safe trip. Enjoy your time in Dayton.
Chet - Thanks for the update on Greg, thoughts and prayers go out to him and his wife.
I have avoided the lifting problem with the chart tape by slathering it with Testor's Dull Coat liquid paint immediately after applying. The RDC sure got a lot of mileage at the club Thursday.

Well all right! Today is marked by two commemorations that hit home for me. Today is National Beer Lovers Day, and it is also World Beard Day. I use my beard as a napkin/bib to catch anything that misses my mouth, never catches beer though, it always hits the mark.

Damn Louis. Move over and let Sherrel join us!
Everybody have a great day and have a cold one (or two) on me.

Hi gang, it's 65*F, cloudy and calm in my little town ~10mi west of Baltimore. I went back and read thru all the posts going back to Wednesday. Saw lotsa fantastic pics, clicked the "like" button on them [man I just love that feature!] - I can't keep track of all the conversations over a 4-day period so I won't even try comment on every single one of them. Except maybe the following:

Sherrell - I sure hope that your neighborhood isn't in any danger from that wild fire!o_O I saw how so many other parts of your state were devastated by the ones that happened last year. My Son-I-L's family also lives in Temecula so I'm concerned about them as well.

Chet - so sorry to hear news concerning Greg! I haven't seen any further posts from him, hope he's ok - will add him to my prayer list.

I'm also concerned about why Boris hasn't posted. I guess nobody here [not even Louis?] has any way of directly contacting him.

On Tuesday I mentioned about reactivating my 35mm DSLR camera from its long hibernation; I've used it to snap a few panoramic photos of my steel mill peninsula. I need to do it that way so the 'signature' structures will have the optimum visual impact. I've been using two separate image editors to clean out the visual noise [garage door tracks, air conditioner, etc.] and also achieve special lighting effects. That takes huge amounts of time - especially since some parts of the photos have to be done pixel-by-pixel. But I actually enjoy the editing activity - AFTER I've finished the difficult-to-trace irregular-shaped objects [lol]!

So far I've captured three out of the four peninsula views I want. I was planning on getting the fourth one today - until my laptop started being unresponsive [File Explorer was hanging]. My natural reaction was to make sure I had a totally up-to-date system backup before I went any further; but the backup process only ran to 41% complete, then aborted. That's when the error message confirmed that the external backup HD itself was the culprit. It had taken too many dives to the livingroom floor whenever I'd forgotten it was plugged in via that micro-short 1-foot USB cable[:mad:], and this morning's plunge had finally done it in! So I wound up going out and buying a new external HD since I consider it critical to have my personal data backed-up. I laid several strips of double-sided tape on the laptop to hold the new HD in place - shoulda done this years ago with the first one, lesson learned.

Never did make it out to the trainroom to get that fourth photo...

Hi gang, it's 65*F, cloudy and calm in my little town ~10mi west of Baltimore. I went back and read thru all the posts going back to Wednesday. Saw lotsa fantastic pics, clicked the "like" button on them [man I just love that feature!] - I can't keep track of all the conversations over a 4-day period so I won't even try comment on every single one of them. Except maybe the following:

Sherrell - I sure hope that your neighborhood isn't in any danger from that wild fire!o_O I saw how so many other parts of your state were devastated by the ones that happened last year. My Son-I-L's family also lives in Temecula so I'm concerned about them as well.

Chet - so sorry to hear news concerning Greg! I haven't seen any further posts from him, hope he's ok - will add him to my prayer list.

I'm also concerned about why Boris hasn't posted. I guess nobody here [not even Louis?] has any way of directly contacting him.

On Tuesday I mentioned about reactivating my 35mm DSLR camera from its long hibernation; I've used it to snap a few panoramic photos of my steel mill peninsula. I need to do it that way so the 'signature' structures will have the optimum visual impact. I've been using two separate image editors to clean out the visual noise [garage door tracks, air conditioner, etc.] and also achieve special lighting effects. That takes huge amounts of time - especially since some parts of the photos have to be done pixel-by-pixel. But I actually enjoy the editing activity - AFTER I've finished the difficult-to-trace irregular-shaped objects [lol]!

So far I've captured three out of the four peninsula views I want. I was planning on getting the fourth one today - until my laptop started being unresponsive [File Explorer was hanging]. My natural reaction was to make sure I had a totally up-to-date system backup before I went any further; but the backup process only ran to 41% complete, then aborted. That's when the error message confirmed that the external backup HD itself was the culprit. It had taken too many dives to the livingroom floor whenever I'd forgotten it was plugged in via that micro-short 1-foot USB cable[:mad:], and this morning's plunge had finally done it in! So I wound up going out and buying a new external HD since I consider it critical to have my personal data backed-up. I laid several strips of double-sided tape on the laptop to hold the new HD in place - shoulda done this years ago with the first one, lesson learned.

Never did make it out to the trainroom to get that fourth photo...
I tend to work on the theory of the estimated time to the power of 5.

Good Morning Folks. A pleasant 71° and clear but dark. Still hitting 98° every afternoon with a chance of rain next Friday. Boring day yesterday, mowed a bit, cooled off in the pool, mowed some more, cooled off some more. Started a new compost pile for next spring's garden with some of the grass clippings and other stuff. Neighbor brought me a load of goat manure and a bale of spoiled hay. It's going to be a large compost pile when done.

I'm over here in the corner Flo, how about loads of bacon and a Mexican omelet this morning.

Thanks for the likes yesterday for the casket manufacturer structure; Sherrel, Justin, Chad, Tom, Ken.

Paid a visit to the train shed yesterday, but I only ran trains. No project or structure work. While running a switcher into the lumberyard, I noticed that the local policeman and sheriff's deputy were taking care of business across the street.
09-14-14 005.JPG

09-14-14 008.JPG

Most likely harassing a vagrant, as there is a hobo encampment nearby. That abandoned structure is one of the many fine hydrocal kits from DowntownDeco.

Sherrel - Is the Tenaja fire posing any danger to you yet? I know that it's pretty close.
Louis - Looks like the Rangers might just get a four-game sweep off the Orioles today. That's embarrassing giving how poorly the Rangers are doing.

Everybody have a great Sunday. Lots of NFL football today which I won't be seeing, unless I walk into the living room; where my wife will be watching many games concurrently.

Good morning .....

We returned home late Friday, and we have been very busy since then.

Willie .... That is quite a scene.

Chet .... Thanks for the anniversary greeting. I like the RDC.

Willie .... Your scene is the kind that will get comments from visitors. Nice.

Terry ..... I like the Amtak train.

Everybody .... Have a good Sunday.

Morning Folks: I got hung up looking at "Fallen Flags" website and drank my coffee empty.
Excuse me whilst I grab another cup.
Willie/IBKen .. Have non update on the local fires .. I think they are into the "cleanup" stages?
Somewhat 2000/3000 acres burned - maybe partial damage to two-three structures?
News has been more or less lacking and I have not even seen any smoke except the first day.
Fortunately the winds have been light and in the correct direction for containing the fire.
Back in a sec.

Best I can find is that the FIRE is 56% contained? I have no idea how they arrive at a "containment" number? Acreage remains right at 2000 and there was "some" damage to two houses?
Where I am located on the outskirts of the southeast edge of the city, we have the entire range of mountains that the Palomar Observatory Complex sits on top of. There is a sea of greenery looking to my southeast. I would really hate to see a fire get started there - I guess we have been very lucky that someone has not tossed a cigarette out the window, or worse, something else. Again, the range of mountains to the west and north where this fire is located runs north all the way to Corona and encompass some very steep and rough terrain.
If the Santa Anna winds had been in full force - this fire would have been a real disaster up into the Santa Rosa area of really expensive ranches/homes and on into the Cleveland National Forest.
Supposed to be only 84* for a high today - and the next several days. Thats a welcome - maybe I can get a few things taken care of ... I have several "FLOYD" projects in the works!
I also subscribe to the TOOTS method of time warp!

Good morning. 48 degrees to start off the day with an expected high only in the upper 60's. I agree with Tom, fall is in the air. A few days next week have forecasted highs only in the 50's.

Was at a suprise birthday party yesterday for one of out bowling team members. the big 60. She had been giving her husband crap for not doing anything for the birthday, but being that it was on the Labor Day weekend, many people couldn't attend so we got her yesterday. She didn't have a clue about the party.

Terry - Glad to see that you got a train operating. Decent sound for an itsy bitsy train. icon_lol.gif

Louis - Enjoyed you photos of not only that shiny GG-1, but the Canton switchers.

IBKen - Looking forward to see your photos. Hope you get the back up figured out.

Willie - Interesting photo. Was that a police K-9 in the back of the pickup? It it was, how come it wasn't chewing on the perp.

Sherrel - I do hope that the fire is contained.

NASCAR today at Indy. I did attend the first NASCAR race there but the stands in the infield blocked a good portion of the track. Prefer to watch races there at home plus the beer is cheaper.

Here's a photo of number 207 with a couple of Harriman coaches stopping for passengers.

thumbnail_20190419_141944.jpg

Later

Well, I just learned a few things:
The status of a wildfire suppression action signifying that a control line has been completed around the fire, and any associated spot fires, which can reasonably be expected to stop the fire’s spread.
"In essence, anything less than a 'full' (aka 100%) fire control line surrounding a wildland blaze is estimated by the Incident Commander in a percentage, and that number is the containment factor."
"After all, a fire can easily go from 80% contained back to 25% if winds pick up and spread the fire beyond the control line."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back