Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Everyone: The temp hit 101* for a high yesterday - one place is calling for 95*today and another says 100* - so take your best guess. We had a real thunder cloud about 2 PM - the sky turned black, lightning flashed and the booming closely followed and the pups scrambled for cover, one in my lap and the other behind the couch!
I think maybe we received 27 raindrops! - Meanwhile, a fire was started in the hills just to the west of town which quickly spread out of control. Have not heard this morning how the battle is going - this photo was last evening - they said about a thousand acres at the time.
1567693955135.png

Thanks, WILLIE, for the sandwiches! I can use them; I am out of taters this morning to go with my eggs and sausage - I need to do a grocery run myself.
Spousal Unit has an appointment with her "primary" for NEXT Friday. The therapist wants to try a couple of things to give her some relief, but he agreed that it was time for a replacement.
Other than that - I have "lost it" mentally. I just bought a couple of HO boxcars and some detail parts from a friend - after deciding that I was going to ditch the HO and concentrate on On30 for a small layout? Oh Well, at least they can use the same track?
Have to take my dog, Foxie, to the VET today. She needs to get caught up on shots and I have noticed a real change in her health. She will be 13 in December and she is just not moving fast anymore + her enthusiasm is about on par with mine most of the time. Here she is checking out a turtle while we were at a rest stop in Alabama - Big brave Charlie was keeping behind her - funny!
Roadside AL 03.jpg

Willie - I think you need to hit some garage sales or flea markets on the vehicles - Johnny seems to have the right idea - at the train shows?

Beady, I love some of your posts, like the last one. I seriously dislike some of your posts, like the "lady". All in all you are more good then bad in my book.

Patrick, my Summer Waves pool can not be winterized, according to the manual. I still have not emptied mine, I'm hoping for a few more weeks. My pool also cost less than $300 and we surely got our money's worth!

I'll do as the manual recommends, empty, clean and store above freezing temperatures. My basement utility room will do, but I am not looking forward to carrying it in or later out of the basement! The thought crossed my mind to throw the thing out and buy another next year, but my conscience won't let me put that much still good plastic into the garbage. To bad it's not recyclable.

My next pool will be more permanent and winterized each year, live and learn.

Have a great day Everybody!
Uh, thanks?

Anyway, this may be of some interest: a couple of days ago I removed my phone from its protective Otter case and found that the back of the phone had pulled away from the body. To make a long story short, the battery had actually swollen to the point where it had broken the glue's seal and pushed the back panel out and away. It's apparently a known problem with older batteries in some models.

Anyway, this may be of some interest: a couple of days ago I removed my phone from its protective Otter case and found that the back of the phone had pulled away from the body. To make a long story short, the battery had actually swollen to the point where it had broken the glue's seal and pushed the back panel out and away. It's apparently a known problem with older batteries in some models.
Did you notice it getting warm or hot when charging.

Uh, thanks?
Beady, I'm sorry, that was my way of paying you a complement.

I tell my kids and grandkids "the only way we can form a practical opinion about someone is to ask ourselves; are they more good than bad? Nobody is perfect, nobody is all good or all bad.

You are obviously an experienced and learned man, with a good moral compass. You bring a lot to the forum with your, often deep and thought provoking input.

On the other hand, some of those pictures you post are often grotesque and disgusting. I know they are ment as a "tongue in cheek" form of "shock and awe". Merely a product of your twisted sense of humor. I don't have to look at them, but my God man, they can't be unseen! :)

Forgive me if you took my comments as anything other than a compliment. Bottom line; I think you are a great guy and I am very happy to share this forum with you. Having you as a member of the forum makes it a better place, all in all. ;)

Seriously? No one has posted in the last 9 hours?

I got pulled away by a phone call. I ended up on the couch watching TV. Later in the afternoon I went to work.

Work was a PITA, I had several deliveries to luxury apartments. It can be difficult to get past the automated security at these places. That makes it a time consuming process and caused me to get caught in rush hour traffic, 30 miles from home. What otherwise could have taken me a little over an hour, took 2.5 hours. I got all my packages delivered and got paid for 3 hours. Any time I deliver all my packages I consider it a good day.

After work I ate a great dinner my wife made. I don't know what to call it, left over chicken breasts, tomatoes, onions, peppers, rice and of course Hungarian paprika. It was great!

We followed that up by watching a lifetime movie she started watching as she made dinner. Watched the news afterwards, sad news about Dorian and mass shootings.

After my wife went to bed I tucked my grandson in and I watched the Orioles until I feel asleep on the couch.

We all get busy from time to time, for various reasons.

Louis - I love reading about the baseball players of old. Something's way different about today's players - I won't say good or bad, just different. I have some cards, too, but nothing like yours. And, yeah, I keep them boxed up.

Johnny, I don't know what to say about today's players. I will say they are more talented than ever, but they don't all make good use of their talents. Some times it seems they play only as individuals, rather individuals playing as a team.

I have put less than half of my baseball/football/basketball card collection into protective sleeves and binders. I'm looking forward to completing the task, sooner or later. Those cards brought me great joy and countless hours of entertainment. When I occasionally browse through my cards they still bring back great memories.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 68 in partly cloudy southeast Baltimore.

Just in case I wonder off and get involved in something or end up on the couch watching TV, I'll say have a great day Everybody!

Crystal Anderson - ‎BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
Fells Point, Baltimore City, MD
1567760235244.png

Fell's Point is a historic waterfront neighborhood in southeastern Baltimore. It is located along the north shore of the Baltimore Harbor and the Northwest Branch of the Patapsco River. Fells Point was first settled in 1670. It was founded in 1732 and named for William Fell. (Wikipedia)
William Fell was a Shipbuilder and Commissioner of Baltimore town from 1743 until his death in 1746. William Fell immigrated to America from Lancaster, England in 1730 to join his brother Edward in Baltimore, MD. He purchased ten thousand acres that would become the community known as Fells Point. (copied and edited from the William Fell Memorial at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9703083/william-fell )

Baseball In Pics
Roberto Clemente homers off Jim Palmer in game 6 of the World Series, October 16, 1971.
1567762167808.png

How did he hit that pitch for a homerun? Note the position of the catcher's glove. It's a good pitch, maybe a little high, but far enough on the outside of the plate that it should not have been hit for a homerun!
Just the mention of the name Roberto Clemente use to make me crazy! Now that I have gotten older I realize I witnessed one of the greatest all-around individual performances over 7 games in World Series history.
From 1969-1971 the Orioles were clearly the best team in all of baseball, but only managed to win 1 World Series over that 3 year span, the 1970 World Series.

I suppose that is the beauty of sports, but as an Oriole fan, I felt the agony of defeat in 1969 and 1971.

I'm sure you've already been told not to push, squeeze, poke or mutilate the swollen battery. The experts say to either have the battery replaced, or recycle the entire phone, but don't keep using it as it is.

Morning all,

Have to see the HS later to see if they got the motor mounts for the Athearn trains. I gotta quit buying those BB engines from the auction sites. LOL
If they're in I get to piece the last one I bought back together.
We have had several of those swollen battery issues on the MiFi units we provide to the Utilities department. Sadly these bad batteries are on the better working MiFi units.

Usual Friday where I get to leave on time at 10:30 am. The plus side of working 4 9 hour days and a 4 hour day. Payroll getting after me as I have my comp time, holiday and vacation day banks maxed out or nearly so. I usually end up only taking days off to watch grand kids, which I do enjoy, but don't want days off to only watch grand kids. Sadly I'm usually the only one with the time off availability.

I have no life....lol

Johnny, I don't know what to say about today's players. I will say they are more talented than ever, but they don't all make good use of their talents. Some times it seems they play only as individuals, rather individuals playing as a team.

I have put less than half of my baseball/football/basketball card collection into protective sleeves and binders. I'm looking forward to completing the task, sooner or later. Those cards brought me great joy and countless hours of entertainment. When I occasionally browse through my cards they still bring back great memories.

Louis - Agreed - many play for their own individual fame rather than as a team member. Some don't know how to handle "fame." Some are hot-headed (although there have always been hot-heads in sports, it seems there are more these days). Anyway, of all pro sports, I've given up watching all but some baseball. Haven't looked at my card collection in quite a few years. I'll look forward to that some day soon!

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. No trains last night. I decided to take the night off. Think tonight I'll repair my coal camp houses for the layout. It'll be really tedious to say the least. It'll need to get done though no way around that. I was reminded yesterday why I almost never post any of my layout pics in any of the group's I follow on Facebook. Critics are everywhere in there and are very particular about everything. It's annoying sometimes.

Good morning everyone. 70 and sunny out there. Nice day in store.

Train show this weekend. Anyone else from this part of the country coming to the one in Springfield, MO tomorrow? See my post over in Train Shows and Auctions for more info. MOH and I will be gone next week for a few days of vacation, so don't know how much I'll be able to get on the forum, but I'll post train show photos whenever I can.

Patrick, Chad, Sherrel, Chessie, CambriaArea51, Louis, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my posts from yesterday (photo of north end of town, etc)
CambriaArea51 - Where do you live? Is "WNY" "west New York"? What train show are you going to this weekend?

Here are a couple of photos of progress on that Walthers Old Barn I'm building. I'm surprised you can't see more mistakes on it, especially finger flesh - - I've glued my fingers to the parts and to each other more times with this kit than any other I've built :rolleyes: I've been trying to be more neat and precise in my kit building, but this one nearly brought out my hammer to put it out of its misery. One thing I'll probably do is carefully lift the main roof and reglue it - it's off a bit and I didn't notice until this morning. Still some touch-up paint to do on the barn, the main doors to glue in place (they will be open to the outside - you can see them on the bench to the right of the barn), a cupola to put on top (it's on the bench to the left of the barn), and a few other details, plus I will glue scenery (grass, dirt, and bushes) around the barn and put several farm folks in place. I think the overall look will be okay. Don't know if I've achieved the "old" look I want, but it's not too bad.

BarnProgress1_9_5_19.jpg
BarnProgress3_9_5_19.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 74° and clear to start our day here. Not quite as warm here as Sherrel is experiencing, 98°-99° is where we are topping out at. Weatherman says that we might see clouds by Tuesday, but no rain in the forecast for at least ten days.
How about blueberry pancakes and a healthy handful of bacon this morning Francine.
Made the weekly grocery/beer trek yesterday, wore myself out. I made a total of nine stops along while out. When you live in the boonies, it helps to maximize trips for the sake of gas.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Johnny, Justin, Sherrel, Chad, Tom, Louis.

Didn't spend but an hour in the train shed yesterday. I did finish up the loading dock for the casket company but didn't take a picture yet.

I thought that it was a bit early, but the migrating geese took a stop across the road yesterday afternoon.

09-06-19 004.JPG

Quite noisy until they landed and then they quieted up so as not to attract the local coyotes. They moved somewhere else overnight.

Johnny - Roadway striping in HO is a bit of a pain to get right. 1/16" pinstriping or chart tape is the correct width. Spacing of broken stripes has to be a compromise though; prototype spacing is just too great to look on HO roads. Besides using chart tape, I also use a white marker pen and straightedge for my stripes. "Unidentified business", I got them all over. lol
Here's my fire protection in my town of Ft. Wish.
07-17-13 004.JPG

Ft. Wish is a larger town than Pine Valley.
Chet/Sherrel - There used to be a dealer that came to all of the train show in this area that sold nothing but vehicles at reasonable prices, $3-$6 apiece. He no longer shows up. My best purchase was when fellow forum member Larry (the old fart) got out of the hobby and sold me 260 vehicles for $400. Some of them were junk that he told me up front were included, but I am using them as wrecks. Another 20 or so were actually 1/100, but worked out in the distance. Still though, I hate paying twice as much for a single vehicle as I did for two old blue box freight cars.
Patrick - While I never lost vacation days, I went 40 years without using but three sick days!

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back