Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what I said about Atlas SD35's coming thick and fast? Well the same local seller has just listed #703 w/QSI. There are times when you wish you could be psychic. I didn't bid on the SD40-2xr he had as I'm already overspent. That went for it's starting bid of AU$145 (about US$100)

And Then There Was None

Recently removed trackage leaves remaining signals guarding a grade crossing that will never see another train.

IMG_4865.jpg

Oh, there you are! Got a new band for you, and they're even in your area (kind of).

View attachment 39110

Beady,
that's funny, but seriously, I'm closer than you might think. There are many transplants from West Virginia in and around Baltimore. Coal mines have been turning to automation for many years, they have to go somewhere to find work. Fracking has only made the problem even worse by lowering the cost of natural gas. Pollute the air or pollute the ground water, take your pick. Personally I'd like to see more investment in technology to reduce coal emissions and pay a few more dollars for my electric bill.

I seldom if ever see coal barges in the Chesapeake any more. We use to load 3-4 of them a day sometimes, destined for power plants when I was a coal sampler.

We sold out and turned our back on West Virginia and other coal producing areas, just like we did Detroit. Use them up and throw them aside. That's what happens when only greed controls capitalism.

As for the drug problem, the labs are in rural areas because that shit stinks, but the "tweakers" are everywhere.

This song fits, if you think about it.

I'm a city boy, but I love West Virginia. It has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's one of those places Everybody should see.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 73 with high humidity, forecasted to be 86 today. Summer is not over in Baltimore, not yet.

Busy day yesterday, I'm long past being able to do landscaping work, but I gave my best effort. I'm a little tired and sore, but none the worse wear.

I got an easy day planned today, take my Mom to the grocery store, relax and later cook steaks on the grill.

Have a great day Everybody!

Beady, that's funny, but seriously, I'm closer than you might think. There are many transplants from West Virginia in and around Baltimore. Coal mines have been turning to automation for many years, they have to go somewhere to find work. Fracking has only made the problem even worse by lowering the cost of natural gas. Pollute the air or pollute the ground water, take your pick. Personally I'd like to see more investment in technology to reduce coal emissions and pay a few more dollars for my electric bill.

I seldom if ever see coal barges in the Chesapeake any more. We use to load 3-4 of them a day sometimes, destined for power plants when I was a coal sampler.

We sold out and turned our back on West Virginia and other coal producing areas, just like we did Detroit. Use them up and throw them aside. That's what happens when only greed controls capitalism.

As for the drug problem, the labs are in rural areas because that shit stinks, but the "tweakers" are everywhere.

This song fits, if you think about it.

I'm a city boy, but I love West Virginia. It has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's one of those places Everybody should see.
That song was the theme for the TV show, Tour of Duty. Tour of Duty is/was the definitive depiction of the Vietnam war, and the contemporary songs and music were as much a character as were the protagonists. The American version on DVD replaced all the music with generic crap to avoid paying royalties, but the original score is still on the Australian version playable on a Region 0 DVD player. (The player costs less than the DVD set, $45 from Amazon, and the DVDs xan be ordered from Amazon AU.)

Happy Labor Day!
I got awake at 4 AM and couldn't get back to sleep.
I finally got up and started reading so threads I had been skipping over for awhile.
Some people have been fairly active with their modeling this summer. I enjoyed all the pictures that have been posted.
I have found a new material to use for pipe loads on flatcars. I'm going to play with it for a few more days to see how hard it is to cut to length.

I notice that the sun is up and I have a few things to do outside this morning before it gets back up into the 90's again.
I'll be enjoying BBQ and hot dogs with my wife's sweet potato salad this afternoon, so I hope y'all have a great day, too.

Mikey -- I woke up at 4 am too, but I forget what time zone you are in.? Forum has been relatively quiet for the past couple days - I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays. I went to our "end of Summer" BBQ and party at a friends house up the hill about a mile south of us. Ken and Mary K have a monster home with a Youugge back yard complete with a large salt-water pool and a pagoda? maybe it's a plappa? Anyway, it has a bar and Yougge TV and grill setup.
Must have been around 50 folks there in total - Spousal Unit begged off at the last minute - her knee was really hurting her. I can't wait till Tuesday when she will see the therapist and see how they are going to handle this; she is about to the point of being immobile.

I got sidetracked a little there - it has been pretty much summer around here. We have had two days of exactly 100* for a high -and 97* is forecast today. The record on this date was 107* in 2007.

Looks as if Dorian is on track to keeping everyone guessing where it is headed next. Prayers for all in it;s path.

Good Labor Day morning All. Clear and 74° here in beautiful North Central Texas this morning. Set me up with a breakfast sausage burrito this morning Flo, with lots of hot salsa on the side. So nice to have the day off today?!#@?!:rolleyes:
Finished mowing the east side of the SFW estate yesterday after lunch; it took until after noon before the dew disappeared. I'll start with the north side today, may even get to the overgrown west side (the "back 40") after that. Didn't notice a dew this morning so I can get an earlier start.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Justin, Phil, Tom, Sherrel.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I tried something new, at least to me. Since I had decided to make the casket company structure look quite aged, I dry-brushed some freight car red paint on the walls before adding the mortar wash.
09-02-19 004.JPG
I did the first panel on the left before I remembered that I am going to add a loading dock and didn't need to add the wash to the bottom of the walls. I need to hit a spot or two with some emery cloth or sandpaper, and then add some weathering powder as well, but the initial effect seems to have worked as intended.

Mikey - Looking forward to your trials with the new mystery material. I just used black painted plastic straws from a RaceTrac convenience store.
BN 621734 (2).JPG

The clerk used to look at me funny when I grabbed a handful of straws whenever I picked up a twelve pack of beer on the way home from work!o_O
Sweet potato salad sounds good to me. Does she boil the sweet potatoes or roast them?
Sherrel - Yes, the whole forum has been really quiet the last few days. By the way, walkers or canes are relatively inexpensive, if Kate would use one. I think that we paid less than $30 for Arlene's walker on Amazon. Here's another item that might help; Comfort seat You'll need one for the rehab period when needed.

Wife asked me yesterday why I slept on the edge of the bed, far away from her. Rather than saying that it was to avoid her thrashing and flailing all night, I said that it was because I am lazy and the closer to the edge, the easier it was to get in and out (not as far) for those inevitable bathroom breaks. Discretion is the better part of valor. Of course it is also easier.

Besides being Labor Day, today is also National V-J Day; celebrating America's victory over Japan in WWII. Let's thank all of those remaining veterans.

Happy Labor Day everyone and grill big hunks of meat and drink your favorite beverage all day long.

Good morning. Finally have time to check in.

Terry - Hate to see someone dismantling a layout. Been there and done that, but better things came in the next layout. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Karl - Hope the unfinished basement works out for you.

Phil - Doesn't look good for the east coast of Florida at the moment. Hope you are in a safe place.

Sherrel - Don't know how you put up with those temperatures. We've been lucky so far with the highs only in the upper 80's.

Willie - Hope you're going to show grout in the panel on the right.

Yesterday I took my cousin and her husband over to Nevada City and Virginia City, MT. One of the largest gold finds in the country occurred there in the late 1800's. Virginia City was also the territorial capital. Here are a few of the rail cars in Nevada City.

thumbnail_20190901_170709.jpg

There is a narrow gauge railroad running between Nevada City and Virginia City but the steam engine was down for repairs.

Just down the road is an old dredge that was used in the area until 1940.

thumbnail_20190901_114028.jpg

While we were there an attempt was made at panning for gold.

thumbnail_20190901_121255.jpg Better keep the day job.

From there we went to Virginia city where many of the old buildings were kept original with black smith shops, livery stable and different businesses from the turn of the century. Quite a mix of the old and the new as the town is occupied and many of the shops are not only there to sell to tourists, but there is also a playhouse, restaurants, a bank and other businesses in operation. Here's the post office with my couisin and husband.

thumbnail_20190901_135750.jpg

While getting some nice home made ice cream I noticed this in a cooler. Didn't know that they still made it. Did some research and they do up in New Hampshire.In 2018 it was announced that Coca Cola was going ot purchase Moxie.

thumbnail_20190901_140038.jpg

On the way home I stopped to take this photo of the other side of the mountains that I see from my front porch.

thumbnail_20190901_143033.jpg

Going to stay in the area today and visit the Museum of the Rockies.

Enjoy the holiday.

Later

The wife and SIL have been at Mom's old apartment for the last several days, getting things ready to sell, and today and tomorrow is the big event. Thank god for hyperactive spouses; neither my brother or myself would have been up to it. As it was, he and I got called in for the more technical things. It's amazing how much crap Mom had squirreled away in that one-bedroom apartment. Most of it was still factory-wrapped/sealed; apparently, Mom's cure for boredom was Amazon and LL Bean. She was/is also fascinated by technology, even though she has absolutely no aptitude for it: one desktop computer, a WII, a Nintendo, a VHS, a DVD player... There's a closetfull of shoes, although she hasn't worn any in a decade or so, and... Well, you get the idea. All this has to be sold because she's shrinking back down into a studio apartment in a nursing home.

Meanwhile, I've got to go over to her new place and set up her computer and dvd player, and move a few more things in. My brother is less up for this than I am, so I'm trying to leave him out of it. Mom is still in rehab and isn't inhabiting either of her apartments, which makes the job easier. Moving her, herself, will just involve wheeling her to a different hallway in the same building where she's in rehab.

The more I see of the 90s, the less I want to last that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back