Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning ! Don't remember if I was on the forum yesterday. I think not as i'm looking at pixs didn't see before.
It's 81* and muggy under overcast skies.
Overdid it yesterday- mowed, trimmed vines and branches off a crappy myrtle ,mulched that and took branches out to the curb. Paying for the effort today.
Thanks again for the photos, you who post them. Lovely.
Prayers for us in need and our spouses.
Phil

MOST GREAT DISCOVERIES ARE MADE BY MISTAKE

Morning all,

I had the discussion with the grandson, didn't yell or tell him the tunnel was a bad idea. I said that once we have the track nailed we only move it to do something different. The tunnel is a fun idea but how could we do it without moving the rails and he promptly said to cut the side of the bottle so the cut side is down and roofs over the track. Smart kid. We're going to make it better over the weekend. I just got to get better pictures.

Garage door company coming this afternoon and I have to mow. The peaches are starting so I'll have to pick some of them as well. I ended up with an abundance of them. I've already given away about a 1/4 bushel and a lot more to go. One tree is ahead of the other. Should have the first auction stuff on Monday and the rest on Wednesday. Looking to get a good look at the building kits I bought.

You all have a safe weekend.

MIKE - Your remodeling job there is a feat in its self! I did that twice to 60-70-year-old houses. I was much younger and in much better shape than now - can't do it as much as I wish I could again.
Are you going to hang and finish the sheetrock too?

Yes, I’m hanging it, but have contracted the taping, and finishing. I have learned over the years of doing the rest of our house, that job is better for someone who does it for a living. The electrical I also definitely hired out as well. The rest is on me.

Well, the last 24 hours have been interesting.
Some good, some not so much.
The good part is, my wife happened to see a Woodland Scenics n scale layout I was looking at. She thinks it would be a fun thing for us to put together together. At $249, it’s not a bad price. As long as it looks okay and the trains run on it, it will be something to hopefully keep her out of her chair and active.
The bad part is, I have a balance on bill me later, which is now paypal credit, which is now run by GE Capital. They have reneged on all of my zero interest purchases, and my monthly payment is now $430. Instead of $100.

Good afternoon,

Spent the morning in a law office and the afternoon recuperating. Didn't make it to the forum but feel better today. Supposedly had everything done but now lawyer drops another layer on us so it will be a month or more before the estate gets resolved.

Are we just sheep getting sheared?:eek:

Johnny, I love the canoe scene

Mike, nice locomotive shots

Garry, I like the trains on the curve!

On a happy note I got some done on the section house! The trains are a great distraction

IMG_1316.JPG

Looking at the photo I see this window got a little crooked. I hope I can jimmy it back into place, or at least paint the grey part of the sill black

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

Each window has 5 parts. Not easy to get the top and bottom sills into place, but they do look nice when properly finished.

more later, Dave

Yes, I’m hanging it, but have contracted the taping, and finishing. I have learned over the years of doing the rest of our house, that job is better for someone who does it for a living. The electrical I also definitely hired out as well.
Awww MIKE! Don't blame you on the sheetrock finish. I have done pretty good walls, but the ceilings always bested me! Had some trouble with corners too!
If you can wire a model RR, then you can wire your house. On those two houses I mentioned- I had one outlet out of both houses that I had crossed the positive/ground wire. The local power man (who was also the town's only electrician) couldn't believe that I only had that one mistake! My biggest mistake was in having to use #12 wire everywhere - had electric/oil baseboard heaters throughout.

Terry -- That sure sucks! Any chance of opening up another account that is offering zero interest for xx months on balance transfers?

Terry -- That sure sucks! Any chance of opening up another account that is offering zero interest for xx months on balance transfers?
"Sir, you qualify for the PayPal Credit credit card". They seemed more interested in getting me to sign up for that, than taking care of the problem.
I'm looking at selling enough trains to pay the balance, then telling them to "F off" in no polite terms.

"Sir, you qualify for the PayPal Credit credit card". They seemed more interested in getting me to sign up for that, than taking care of the problem.
I'm looking at selling enough trains to pay the balance, then telling them to "F off" in no polite terms.

I'd hold them to the original terms. Do you have any sort of email, paperwork, etc. that lists the original terms? If they sell the account to a new bank/servicer, the new bank/servicer has to abide by the terms on the account when they bought it. You have a contract on the account for those transactions. The contract follows the account. They can change the terms for new purchases, but not for ones already made. Report them to your State AG if they refuse (and to the BBB and potentially the FTC since I assume it would be interstate).

Hi Shop Dwellers, I left a few "likes" but haven't posted in the last couple of days because I've been in major discomfort; seems like I've gone not two but twenty steps backward. It appears like a scab or two may have broken off the surgical wound, but now I've been seeing trace amounts of blood when I whizz. Contacted the on-duty urologist at Hopkins and he said it's nothing worrisome. However, the ibuprofen I've been taking apparently interferes with blood clotting and thereby slows down the healing process. Plus, I've probably gotten too over-confident with my eating habits and physical activities and put excessive stress on the wound. At any rate, starting this evening I'm going to have to quit the ibuprofen and take Tylenol instead - hopefully that will do the job of suppressing the pain...

Terry - sorry to hear about your latest additional stress! Hopefully Chad is correct about contacting the A/G, since those were not the terms you signed for. Of course the b*******s may have submerged something deep in the microprint that says if you reach a certain debt threshold, the killer interest rate would kick in. :mad:

Dave - sorry to hear about the estate lawyer's latest delay! The whole story reminds me of Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football...

Hafta run now, gotta get my rest!

The "good" news is, the interest rate is 12.99%.
The "bad" news is, any issues have to be taken care of through arbitration.
They've managed to pay off the new accounts first, leaving the "6 months same as cash" accounts to run out their 6 month term, and are now subject to interest. And yes, I've been calling them weekly, at least, to allocate the payments where they should have gone. It's still settling, but it looks like the best solution is to pay it off, because it is going to be a never-ending battle trying to get them to honor the terms from the old company.

which is now run by GE Capital.
We got tangled up with that mob years ago. They became well known (after that) for sharp business practices. Obviously haven't changed their methods. Definitely agree with finding out about your rights as a consumer and insisting on them if available. I haven't ever used Paypal's credit line, instead always specify my bank's card as preferred payment method. I remember ebay getting a crack over the knuckles from our ACCC, when they tried to force paypal as the only method of payment.

@bnsf971 I assume this is some sort of "credit card" (even without a real card) account, which is usually how these things work. It does not need to be a brand-name card like Visa -- it is their own labeled credit account set up like a credit card, ie, a revolving credit account.

Here is how allocation works for payments -- https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/what-is-payment-allocation/

If you can figure out if they followed these rules or not, you can figure out if it is worth it filing a complaint with the state AG and the FTC.

Otherwise, it may be that they followed the rules but did so in a way that was to their advantage.

When I do one of these sorts of things pwhich has been years since I did], I make sure not to mix it with regular purchases. I also don't do regular purchases and balance transfers on the same account either.

Good luck. Paying it off asap would be the best bet, but it still might be worth it to figure out if they followed these rules or not and make a complaint. Making a complaint is not against any arbitration clause or anything.

Okay, I just spent another couple hours on the phone with Synchrony Bank (GE Capital) about PayPal. They said they will "investigate", which could take up to 1-2 billing cycles, and try to resolve the "concern". In the meantime, I am expected to make the payments as they specified. By the time they conclude their "investigation", the account would be nearly paid off. I did let them know I wouldn't use their service to pay for a loaf of bread if I was starving to death, and hung up the phone.

Okay, I think USPS has a couple of glitches in their system. Tracking goes from bottom to top:
  • Aug 17, 2019
  • 5:49am
  • AWAITING DELIVERY SCAN
  • WINSTON SALEM, 27106
  • Aug 16, 2019
  • 7:41pm
  • Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
  • HONOLULU HI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
  • Aug 16, 2019
  • 5:41pm
  • Departed Post Office
  • HONOLULU, HI 96821