Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher #4439

One thing I've never been too fond of with this locomotive is the drawbar arrangement. The tender has that big honking pin sticking up from the end of the drawbar that goes into a slot that runs the entire width of the back of the cab. That's going to allow for any awful lot of play back there! Due to the fiddly nature of getting the micro plug hooked back together, I also wanted the locomotive and tender to be semi-permanently coupled.
I took three pieces of styrene, laminated them together to get the width from the locomotive cab to the frame, then cut it to the width and height needed to fill that slot. I then drilled a 3/32" hole through the center of the styrene lamination. I threaded a short length of 3/32" brass tube with a 2-56 tap and CA'd it into the hole. This made a threaded bushing on the locomotive.
001.JPG

I cut the pin off of the tender's drawbar and drilled a .097" hole centered where the pin had been. I used the 2-26 tap and threaded a short length of 3/32" styrene tube. I put a small washer over a 3/8" 2-56 screw and put the styrene on the screw.
002.JPG

I reattached the micro plug and installed the screw/bushing through the drawbar and into the brass bushing. I adjusted the screw until the tender's trucks were both in good contact with the rails.
003.JPG

Still a few little things to do, but this has (mostly) been a fun project. The best part is knowing I have something that can't be purchased right off the shelf. I've enjoyed this, and isn't that what it's really all about?
I think I'll take this up to the train store and show Randy, since he helped provide parts and advice.

What a genius you are!
This has been a great thread and project.
You should be proud -- it's a great looking locomotive!

I'm also going to add tender pickups. I like how this guy did them, and bought some centering springs to use for this project. The plan is to have pickups on all wheels.
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1905/tender_wipers/
Is the Neo-Lube really necessary, though? I'll be using Intermountain wheels on the tender.
Going through traffic on my website came across this thread.

The Neo-Lube on the backside of the wheels is to blacken them. Nothing looks worse than shiny wheel backs.

No other way to blacken the backs and have electrical continuity.

Thanks for visiting
Harold

Last edited:
Going through traffic on my website came across this thread.

The Neo-Lube on the backside of the wheels is to blacken them. Nothing looks worse than shiny wheel backs.

No other way to blacken the backs and have electrical continuity.

Thanks for visiting
Harold

Thanks for replying, Harold! Now I know what Neo-Lube is for!

You would think I would know when to leave well enough alone, right? Noooooooooooo!
I decided I wanted SOUND, as well! There's not much room under that boiler, but I managed to make a Digitrax SDN136PS sound decoder fit. It's tight, but it fits.
001.JPG

The capacitor attached to the decoder had to go into the opening where the original light bulb was. I figure the metal frame should help act as a heat sink.
003.JPG

These decoders come with a speaker already wired to the decoder, but I cut that off and attached an Iphone 4 speaker. I hot glued it to the top of the cab roof. It's not overly visible up there when the locomotive is on the rails.
002.JPG

These speakers make pretty good sound. I cut it off about 7/8" from the end and glued a piece of styrene over the cut.
I made a video of it.
I still need to fix the steps on the tender, and do a couple more minor things, but I'm happy with it!

Last edited:
That is amazing you did a great job be proud of that. Some say I’ll post a old Athearn F unit I painted and decaled and my brother wired it with leds. I just need to learn how to load a video

Thanks, Lee! I appreciate that! I like those old F units, they have a lot of character.
As far as a video goes, if you have a YouTube account make sure you are signed into it, then click on your avatar in the upper right. This will bring up a drop down menu. Click on YouTube Studio. You will see an icon next to your avatar that says "Create". Click on that, and then click on the upward pointing arrow. That will bring up the upload panel. You can drag and drop your video, or click on select files and find it on your computer. There are a number of videos on how to do this. I look forward to seeing it!

If you have a gmail email account, you already have a YouTube account. Might save you a step.

Great work on that switcher. She looks and appears to run great!

Thanks, KB02! It does run good. I thought I kept the tenders steps, but they weren't in the container with the rest of the pieces. I'll have to fabricate some, I suppose. The plastic handrails for the top of the tender aren't usable, either, so I guess I "get" to learn how to make them!

Looking good! I like the way you did the electrical pickup on the tender. I'm currently re-working the tender for my Consolidation and I'll probably use your method now instead of wipers.

Nice work!

I have a Mantua 0-6-0 switcher that finally works well, and it has one pickup in the tender and the other on the engine.

Looking good! I like the way you did the electrical pickup on the tender. I'm currently re-working the tender for my Consolidation and I'll probably use your method now instead of wipers.
Thanks! I can't take credit for the pickup idea. See post #8 for the video where I got the idea from. It does work well.

Nice work!

I have a Mantua 0-6-0 switcher that finally works well, and it has one pickup in the tender and the other on the engine.
Adding another pickup for the tender shouldn't be too hard, but I wouldn't know where to start for the engine. These little switchers are "plucky", for lack of a better word. I have an 0-4-0 Docksider, and there might be just enough room in the cab roof to install the DZ123 decoder I originally had in this one. I'll have to check the stall current first.

Back