Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie, sitting out this baseball season finally opened my eyes. I just can't do what I use to do or want to do. I have to do what I have to do. Thanks for the kind words. I feel stronger than I have in over a year, but this time I'm going slow.

I'm still undecided about Mayor Jack Young. The Baltimore Sun says he is doing a good job so far. I did like his comment about getting the "squeegee people" and panhandlers off the streets, but talk is cheap, I've yet to see action! They have become so prevalent that people don't want to come near the city. It's hurting the economy of the City. If I had my way I would lock up any and every vagrant for 24-48 hours and force them to go through withdrawal cold turkey. I know it's a disease, but sometimes the cure for disease is painful. Methadone is a joke, one addict proudly told me "all you have to do is get your methadone, take Xanax and drink alcohol, it's just like heroin".

Good morning. Looks like another great day. We got up to 84 yesterday and then some thunder showers cooled things off around supper time.

Have some people coming over in a while to install the new gas stove we heat the house with in the winter.

Louis
- Thanks for the comment on the shoulder. I had no ill effects the next day from bowling. Now all I have to to is adjust my delivery and do the best I can. When it comes to cooking bacon, we use the oven. Put some aluminum foil on a baking sheet and it comes out really good. I can thank my daughter in law for that. She worked for a catering company that worked out of a really nice local cafe and that's the way they always cooked bacon. We used to go there every Sunday for their buffet and they had the best bacon you could want.

Willie - My bowling partners brother in law has a Tesla and I got a ride in it. That thing takes off like a fighter off of an aircraft carrier, but there is only two Tesla charging station in the state right now that is in Bozeman and another in Billings. He really has to plan his trips very carefully. He lives in South Dakota. Electric cars aren't very practical here. That one Tesla charging station is the ONLY charging station in the state right now and it is not compatible with other electric vehicles. I did a search for EV charging stations in the state and there are NONE for regular EV's. We are pretty well spread out up here and a simple trip to Billings is a little over 300 miles round trip, beyond the range of most EV's. There will NEVER be one in my driveway. Great photos again as usual. I have a problem of mixing up how to score golf and bowling. Seem to get them backwards some times.

Curt - Really like the rig you have for carrying the gun barrel. You'll have to post a photo of it on your layout.

Johnny - I have a lot of DPM structures on my layout. They are great for just about any time period and can be used for so many different businesses. The one thing that drove me nuts with them was painting the windows and doors, but well worth the time and effort.

IB Ken - Again, hoping everything goes well for you. Went through the same thing getting as much as I could before surgery as I was really limited to what I could do for months.

Garry - Like that photo. You posted photos of that are before, but this photo gives a better idea of the area. Need to get some cattle in the pens.

It was an interesting day at the club yesterday. We had a lot of visitors. here are some photos. The first is a MRL train right at the summit. I nopticed my train coming out of the tunnels on the lower part of the layout in the background.

thumbnail_20190711_145221.jpg

One of the guys was running a challenger. Wish I could justify running one on my layout.

thumbnail_20190711_134705.jpg

Here is my train just about at the summit.

thumbnail_20190711_132711.jpg

I hooker up to a short passenger train for a while. Here it is heading north back to Livingston along the Yellowstone River. The Devils Slide is in the background. It is a well known land mark in the area.

thumbnail_20190711_142313.jpg

Devils_Slide-featured.jpg

One of the members did run into a couple height issue hauling his ore train up the grade. It let loose near the top of the grade and by the time he got it stopped, it was probably traveling at a scale mach 1. It was discovered that a loose screw holding the couple pocket cover has loosened up causing the problem. Needless to say, we all gave him a lot of crap.

thumbnail_20190711_133641.jpg

The guys are here to install the stove.

Later.

Morning Railroaders! It looks as if Summer has finally found us: Supposed to be 94* today and a cloud is not in sight (normal is 90*), last year was 92*, and the record of 98* was 2009.

Nice pic from all; Not going to name everyone, takes too much time and my fingers, or mind, have become too slow!

Ken, wishes, thoughts, and prayers for the surgery ... I'm confident that you will do fine!

Chet -- good to hear that you can use the arm ... just don't overdo it! I'm with Willie on the reversing bowling and golf scores - I could have been a champion!

Yesterday was a bust! I did manage to gas one vehicle - computer said I only had 18 miles left to go! Made a couple grocery stops mostly for the dogs as they were letting me know yesterday morning that I did not give them their morning treat while I had my coffee. The rest of the day was consumed by nursing my aches and pains of muscles that I didn't remember I had. Yesterday afternoon I did make a run out to the MIL's place to pick up some tools that my neighbor here wanted to use that I had taken out there for the BIL to use and the dogs went with me getting to run up and down the street barking at all the other dogs. (every one has two-three dogs to either keep the rabbits from destroying their grass, or to run off the coyotes).

Willie - just to rehash ... I have a pocket full of various tire valve odds and ends. I do have one set of rear tires that is perfect, but I screwed up on the other side and need another wired length of tubing and a bracket to fasten it to the "fancy" rim - otherwise it flops around and that destroyed the first one becaused it wasn't fastened correctly. The two front tires just need another extender in order to reach out the slot in the "fancy" cover - which needs to be trimmed a little to line up with the tire valve. It just hurts me having to get up and down from the ground while trying to find the correct combination of fittings to work. If it were me, I would just leave off the rim covers, but wife thinks it looks tacky!

OK I've wasted enough time on non-railroad items, so I'll close for now.
Very nice photos from the club there CHET!

Well -- I have not heard from the Spousal Unit on campout with the 7 kids and two daughters, so I presume that everything is hooked up properly and working? SIL, Michael, drove up with part of the kids and to help them set up; he spent the night, but has to come back to work this afternoon and evening - he is a pharmacist here locally.

That is a doozy of a crash there, CHET! Take a while to get all those trucks back on the rails.
The Challenger looks like it just came out of the builder - nice!

Willie - with the valve extender on the front - the angle is off for the hole in the wheel cover -- that oval on the front wheel cover where the valve is needs to be a good inch higher - so I need to either cut the opening or get a 30 degree bend - a 45 degree just makes it more harder to get air into the valve.
1 FRONT Truck Van RV Trailer 16" Dual Wheel Simulators Rim Liner Covers Hub Caps

OK - Time to head to Costco for gassing the Pacifica (mid grade .20 cheaper) and start stocking the freezer for the two G-sons who will be arriving in another week.
The SIL who lives over in Newport has a Tesla - says that it has saved him tons on fuel costs once you make the initial outlay+ most of his driving is within a 50 mile radius. Last year he was going to drive it to Bakersville for the boys soccer games there and he ran out of juice short of Bakersfield and had to have it towed. He knew he was low, but decided to chance it - was rather embarrassed over it all.

Last edited:
Well -- I have not heard from the Spousal Unit on campout with the 7 kids and two daughters, so I presume that everything is hooked up properly and working? SIL, Michael, drove up with part of the kids and to help them set up; he spent the night, but has to come back to work this afternoon and evening - he is a pharmacist here locally.

That is a doozy of a crash there, CHET! Take a while to get all those trucks back on the rails.
The Challenger looks like it just came out of the builder - nice!

Willie - with the valve extender on the front - the angle is off for the hole in the wheel cover -- that oval on the front wheel cover where the valve is needs to be a good inch higher - so I need to either cut the opening or get a 30 degree bend - a 45 degree just makes it more harder to get air into the valve.
1 FRONT Truck Van RV Trailer 16" Dual Wheel Simulators Rim Liner Covers Hub Caps
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-USA-...em+extensions&qid=1562948158&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Afternoon All,

Started with chores then made it to the train room. Before making any progress on the build I had to redo the muzzle brace and remove the bolsters off the cars. Luckily each was attached with white glue and they came off easily. After fixing the muzzle brace I put together the main bracing, slid the barrel in them, moved the bracing so it was in the correct positions for mounting on the cars. Then I glued the barrel onto the bracing with CA (recommended by directions) and left everything to completely dry.

Garry- Beautiful scene.

Willie- Nice action photos. The Santa Fe was busy yesterday.

Chet- More great club pics.

20190712_141811-2016x1512.jpg

20190712_143000-2016x1512.jpg

20190712_143224-1512x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ....

Curt ........ Thanks to you also for commenting on my rural scene. Your project is very interesting.

Chet ..... The club layout photos are fantastic. The runaway ore train resulted in quite a pile up.

Here is another angle of my rural scene. As you can see it fits in a back corner. It is a bot of a far reach, and I use remote control switch machines and magnetic uncouplers to operate. Sometimes, I must nudge a freight car down the track with a yardstick.

48266286236_5512fe6cea_k.jpg

Howdy ....

Curt ........ Thanks to you also for commenting on my rural scene. Your project is very interesting.

Chet ..... The club layout photos are fantastic. The runaway ore train resulted in quite a pile up.

Here is another angle of my rural scene. As you can see it fits in a back corner. It is a bot of a far reach, and I use remote control switch machines and magnetic uncouplers to operate. Sometimes, I must nudge a freight car down the track with a yardstick.

48266286236_5512fe6cea_k.jpg
Where's the people, GARRY?
It's a beautiful scene - but the people must have gone home?

Hope you realize that I am just joshing you!

Had a good time with CURT and JON yesterday. Reinforced my staying with DC .
Saw first hand CURTs flatcars. Beatiful job. JON was able to put the decals on-really nice.
KEN-You and others are in our prayers
Thanks to all who post pixs. Awesome!
Wish all a goodnight and pleasant dreams
Phil

BE HAPPY IN YOUR BODY-IT'S THE ONLY ONE YOU'VE GOT, SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL LIKE IT.

Last edited:
Good morning! A cool 74* , sunny and clear. Only 30% chance of rain. But humidity will remain high- expect temps to hit 90 later.
Payers for all in path of the storm.
Have shopping to do and want to beat crowds. Back later.
Phil

OVER WHAT HILL? I DON'T REMEMBER ANY HILL.

Good morning

Where's the people, GARRY?
It's a beautiful scene - but the people must have gone home?

Hope you realize that I am just joshing you!

Sherrel ...... It's the weekend, and they only work on week days .............. (Sigh. There always has to be one rivet counter. LOL)

Everybody......... Have a nice Saturday.

Good morning all, I don't have to work today so have some time to look at photos and posts.

CHET-- the club photos are super! The pile up of ore cars must have been something, also LOVE the Challenger.

Sherrel-- hope you survive the campout

Curt-- very interesting project!

Maybe get more work done on the depot building today, also have a freight car to complete assembly on.

Another old photo, one of my favs. Still have the engine and background building, however the layout is gone:

_MG_5517-2.jpg

have a great day--Dave

Good Morning America. 72°, clear and sunny for the start of the weekend. Light winds still out of the north mean another cool day today with the high only expected to be in the low 90's, OK, that's cool for us in mid-July. I'll take bacon and grits with my scrambled eggs today, Flo. Resumed the task of mowing yesterday, will continue today. Hoping to get into the half this week, the other half next week mode now that we are not getting so much rain. Actually was able to go nine days since the last cutting. Meanwhile my hayfield and garden welcomed the rain Wednesday.
Wife called yesterday from her vacation retreat in Gulf Shores AL; they (daughters and their families included) decided to cut the vacation short by a day and miss the potential hurricane rains on the drive home. They left yesterday and re-routed to the northern route using IH 20 instead of the southern route of IH 10. Spent the night in Vicksburg MS and will return home today instead of tomorrow. Looks like house-cleaning is in order this morning, although I have actually kept up well. Laundry and dishes were already done yesterday before she called so the main task is vacuuming up all the dog hair from the granddog, the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the loco pictures; Jerome, Garry, Louis, Sherrel, Dave from PA, Curt, Tom, Phil, Ken.

Resumed modeling in the train shed yesterday. Finished out the Plains Grain area.
07-13-19 003.JPG

07-13-19 002.JPG

Which brings up my next place to finish, that small area across the tracks from the hay storage area, behind the school bus.
07-13-19 004.JPG

My intent here has always been to just add a background flat, so away we go. I'll start next week. Once completed, that will give me a continuous 16' layout stretch that has completed scenery from fascia to backdrop, a milestone that will be celebrated with some ice cold brew. Well, OK. I celebrate another day of completed life every day!:cool::cool::cool:

Dave -
I understand the very rich stress out over being able to spend their money, so are forced to purchase expensive items.
It seems so in the cities around here, but once you get into the rural areas it's just the opposite. The man who owns the land (1500+ acres) across the road, who also owns an additional 15,000 acres in parcels scattered around this area, and over 3000 cattle; drives a 12 year old pick up. Occasionally when he comes out with his wife, they come in a 14 year old SUV that he calls their luxury car! His land alone is worth over 20 million.
Johnny - Your pictures of the DPM structure jogged a long-lost memory. I went back and looked and that's the only "kit" of theirs that has separate windows of the over thirty on my layout. All of their modular walls have separate doors/windows though.

Whoa! Look at the time, I should be mowing right now since there was no dew last night. Gotta go.
Everybody have a great day.

Dang, that Rush is "funny" (not the song -- the look). Of course, they were young once, but they look more English Pop than Prog Rock in that video. And Geddy not playing a Fender (or a Ric or one of his esoteric high end basses) and Lifeson not playing a Gibson. Thanks for the post!
Chad -
LOL - That's not how I remember Rush either. Here's how I remember them.

Add me to that list, TERRY! I couldn't "Rush Through It" fast enough!
BTW - That movie you posted there seems like a good cure for "Climate Change"?
How are your back and other ailments doing? You have not said in a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back