Coupler Identification Help

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Guys, I have 3 different type of plastic couplers. I'm wondering what the specific name for each type is. Any help would be appreciated. And no, they aren't all just horn hook LOL

20190708_174130.jpg
20190708_174155.jpg
20190708_174302.jpg

Bottom pic looks like they're either Kadee or McHenry. They look black so I lean toward metal Kadees. McHenrys are brown delrin..Other pics I've no idea..Odd that you have so many of each...I prefer Kadee...

Bottom pic looks like they're either Kadee or McHenry. They look black so I lean toward metal Kadees. McHenrys are brown delrin..Other pics I've no idea..Odd that you have so many of each...I prefer Kadee...
EZ Mates are brown, too. And one ot them has "EZ" stamped on it.

That's how I got so many, replacing them with Kadee's. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not sure what the ones in the second picture are or where I even got them. Probably just bin those.

Since I/we know now that you are replacing them with Kadees, who cares what the rejected ones are, and that they 'aren't all horn hooks either' ? What was the reason for the OP in the first place if you're replacing them anyway ?

You guys are right on the first and third pics.
I have some from the second pic as well, no idea what they're from but now you have me thinking!
I am planning on packaging them all up and selling them, would be nice to figure out.
I know a guy that trades me Kadee's for horny hookers because that's what he likes to run!

You guys are right on the first and third pics.
I have some from the second pic as well, no idea what they're from but now you have me thinking!
I am planning on packaging them all up and selling them, would be nice to figure out.
I know a guy that trades me Kadee's for horny hookers because that's what he likes to run!

Rick, must have been some odd ball cars we came across somewhere (Maybe Karl's ALCO's!!! LOL). I could send you a pile of the horn hooks for you to trade. I know some people like to use the Accumates for replacements. I use the EZ Mates when selling off spare equipment.

Thanx for the offer but I still have a scale ton of them!
They (horn hooks) actually make a good looking coupler if you cut off the horn tip and the lower pin.

I'm not quite sure but the second one looks like some sort of horn hook to knuckle coupler "adapter" coupler that might (to some extent?) work with either type of coupler? Probably an old design, haven't really seen one like that before.

The first one is definitely an Accumate, they're the only 2-piece split couplers like that, and I don't like them.

The last one as many have said is a plastic knock-off of the Kadee knuckle coupler. McHenry, Bachmann EZ-Mate, or other.

Back