Looking for an O-Scale 2-Rail Road Switcher

Brakeman Hal

Hey, I have a short freight, with only 5 Cars and Caboose, and my GP35 seems like overkill jerking that little train around, so I'm looking for an Atlas Road Switcher, or maybe even a Yard Switcher to do the job.

It would have to have Sound, though not necessarily DCC, as my Atlas loco gives me all the sound I need from a DC controller.

I would like to stay with Atlas, but their Factory Store is no longer online, so I'll have to order from another supplier, and I haven't found one yet.

Any ideas? (Here's my short "Calico Freight Lines" that I really like)

Brakeman Hal
003.JPG

Last edited:
The GP35 is what's known as a road switcher, Hal, being a 4 axle version (GP= general purpose) rather than a 6 axle SD (special duty) (citation required) from what is also called a 2nd generation diesel.

I had been also trying to get onto Atlas' site without success. I was "on" it only a short while ago and noticed it had been updated, so maybe some problem rectification needed.

About the only thing smaller without going the brass route is the Atlas SW9, which can be a bit hard to come by. I would start by emailing American Scale Models(he sells many estates that might have one of those). All Nation also did a very heavy diecast NW2 that can run really well and be detailed to rival the finest brass. In the brass world, that opens up the range with small Alco S and HH series switchers, GE44 tonners and so forth. Great looking railroad Hal! I just wish I had the room do do what I want in O scale 2 rail. For now I have to stick to HO. Mike the Aspie

About the only thing smaller without going the brass route is the Atlas SW9, which can be a bit hard to come by. I would start by emailing American Scale Models(he sells many estates that might have one of those). All Nation also did a very heavy diecast NW2 that can run really well and be detailed to rival the finest brass. In the brass world, that opens up the range with small Alco S and HH series switchers, GE44 tonners and so forth. Great looking railroad Hal! I just wish I had the room do do what I want in O scale 2 rail. For now I have to stick to HO. Mike the Aspie

Thanks, Malletman! I would like to get an Atlas O 2-Rail SW9 or SW1200. with sound.

Hal

"I would like to get an Atlas O 2-Rail SW9 or SW1200. with sound."

Actually, the GP35 is the more appropriate power to have on what would look to be "a local freight", complete with caboose.

Switchers mostly worked "in the yard". They could go out on the mainline or branchline, yes... but you'd be much more likely to find older Geeps assigned to branchlines, locals, etc.

Just managed to get through to the Atlas site. A notice says it is down for maintenance and will be back soon.

The Atlas site is partially back. Looking through there "O" offerings, there are no switchers and the only other GP, is a high nose GP7, a forerunner to the GP35. Otherwise F7 and Erie built streamliners. To get DC/DCC decoders with sound, the 2 rail Master Gold series is the only option with that offered. The decoder brand is not named. Priced at MRSP $499.95 and pre-order only at the moment.
1557822187581.png

HOLD IT!

Now I'm interested in the Atlas O 2-Rail Santa Fe GP9 "Zebra", the "Master" version with DC/DCC and QSI Sound!

(The "Trainman" version is DC with no Sound)

That's what I want now!

Brakeman Hal (Here's a shot of my old G-Scale train that I had on a 150-foot indoor layout)
016.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the production records (Archives) for the GP9 Atlas O. The last production run is shown as in 2009, the first in 2004. 2 rail product numbers on the right and what control system was used.
http://archive.atlasrr.com/OLoco/arc-ogp9.htm (click & open)

The only SF versions shown (Zebra) were in that first 2004 run and the only sound offered in them was Lionel's Train Master Command Equipped "Railsounds"(TMCC). No DC/DCC unfortunately. Product # 3404-1, road #707 and product # 3404-2, road #715. There was one unpowered Product# 2454, road #721.

Here is the production records (Archives) for the GP9 Atlas O. The last production run is shown as in 2009, the first in 2004. 2 rail product numbers on the right and what control system was used.
http://archive.atlasrr.com/OLoco/arc-ogp9.htm (click & open)

The only SF versions shown (Zebra) were in that first 2004 run and the only sound offered in them was Lionel's Train Master Command Equipped "Railsounds"(TMCC). No DC/DCC unfortunately. Product # 3404-1, road #707 and product # 3404-2, road #715. There was one unpowered Product# 2454, road #721.

from the 'picture', does that include the mag-lev trucks?

Yeah, Toot...I've been going over the Atlas Factory Store site too, and as you've found, the only Zebra is in Lionel 3-rail, which I can't use.

My present "clean-wheeled" Atlas GP35 is the Master version, with DC/DCC, and QSI Sound, which works well with my old MRC analog DC controller.

I'll still keep looking for a Zebra, and thanks for looking for me!

Brakeman Hal

Yeah, Toot...I've been going over the Atlas Factory Store site too, and as you've found, the only Zebra is in Lionel 3-rail, which I can't use.

My present "clean-wheeled" Atlas GP35 is the Master version, with DC/DCC, and QSI Sound, which works well with my old MRC analog DC controller.

I'll still keep looking for a Zebra, and thanks for looking for me!

Brakeman Hal
As mentioned, that particular version (the Zebra) was only offered in the 2004 releases in either 3 rail or unpowered 2 rail, so unfortunately that means that unless they get re-offered in a future release, even finding one on ebay etc, new old stock (NOS), or used, is not going to get you what you want. The ones being offered to pre-order now I believe are all fitted with ESU Loksound decoders. They should have both DC and DCC capability. In the latest list of pre-order ones of the GP7 (basically the same loco) there is a Rio Grande version. Is that at least a close enough option?

OK, Toot...I'll have to change my preference again, maybe a Santa Fe SW9 or SW1200, the Master Gold version with DC/DCC and QSI Sound.

The Rio Grande line is too far removed geographically from the Western roads, such as Santa Fe, UP, and SP.

(What about the GP9?)

Thank for the updates!

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:

Back