Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm at it, another of Scott Hiddelston's BNSF/MRL Drone videos showing the length of some of the trains that cross the Mullan Pass tracks on the new double track at Iron Ridge. Sort of MRL's version of the Horseshoe curve. Just under 11mins and another candidate for full screen. Keep an eye out for the BNSF train coming downgrade, the other way on the inner track at top right. By the time the last "up" helper and "down" car pass in the curve, the fronts of each train are almost off vid. Don't forget to turn up the volume.

Ray:. I wonder how many coal hoppers there were, I'll bet over two hundred ?

Ray:. I wonder how many coal hoppers there were, I'll bet over two hundred ?
The railroad fans version of counting sheep. What was it? 7 locos of 43-4400hp each. 30,000+hp all up, crawling at seemingly not much more than a trot. About the only manmade thing that can beat a train for moving big tonnage is a ship.

Patrick: It sounds as though you may have a kink where the lead in track connects to the bridge track. Check to ensure it's a smooth connection, no sharp edges on the inside of the rail heads and that the rail heads have the proper gauge between them.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Good Morning,

Garry

Willie

Chet

Chuck

Sherrel

Patrick

CURT

Beady

Sorry, I just wanted to make up a list of all of you, similar to how you guys always do, so I can be one of the list making guys! If I left you out, this is because on page 27, I did not see a list with your name on it to copy and paste.

Weather today will sunny with a high of 61 per the Weather Underground. If this weather does not manifest itself, you can blame WU. Have a good one and I'll feed myself, today!

Morning all,

Coffee with a veggie omelet for me this morning.
Sunny and cool this morning (44) with highs near 70 today.

Short day at work, but every Friday is supposed to be that way. I generally work 4-9's and a 4 so I work a half day on Fridays. Lots of yard work to do as Friday afternoon yard maintenance allows me to have the other 2 days of the weekend clear. The wife normally gets home about 3 pm.

Sherrel: I scared myself as well. At least the basement floor is carpeted. That minimized the damage.

David: I do have a little binding I need to work through on the rail transition, but the bridge railing is what the the engine hit. My smaller engines, like my grandson's Thomas and my little track inspection car are short nosed enough they didn't hit the railing. My thought is to either do away with that bridge and look into something else or partially cut the railing on the outside of the curve. My issue is bridge length and where it ties in on the curve.

Good "Good Friday" Morning All. Clear skies and 50° with continuing stiff north winds in the 18-25 mph range. Should help dry things out a bit. Might be able to mow some high ground later today. Today was always a paid holiday when I worked, and most blue-collar workplaces around here observe it.
As you know Flo, I don't do coffee but I will take an OJ with a couple of waffles.
It was good to get back into the routine of grocery/beer shopping on Thursday morning, it is the least crowded time at the grocery that I go to. Never have to wait in line to check-out and there are usually enough young moms to keep the trip through the store interesting. Just too bad that it is a 55 mile round trip, but I wouldn't trade the place where I live for anything closer.

And now here's a list that means something. Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterday's posting, Patrick, Chet, Phil, Justin, Curt, Tom, and David.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I worked on several projects, moving from one to another while waiting for paint or glue to dry. Added some more weeds, ground foam and trees to my current scenery project area, made a couple more trees while everything is out, painted some more figures and continued with the quarterly layout tidying up. While I was admiring my previous small town project, I realized that I never posted pictures of a small house that I had located on a small area behind the "Bruckner Woodworking" structure. The house and some of the details came from an older DPM Gold kit known as "Emery Lane". The kit has two houses and I used the other one elsewhere. Picket fence is the old standby Atlas fence and figures (lady and dogs) are hand-painted from Preiser.

04-19-19 001.JPG

04-19-19 003.JPG

04-19-19 002.JPG

Adding the laundry to the clothesline was a real bear, as Chet posted a few weeks ago. They are white metal castings.

Chuck - Your models are looking real good.
Patrick - Running trains that close to the layout edge has always scared me. I always extend the layout fascia about an inch above any track within three inches from the edge. Mostly though, I run track through the layout and have an area of scenery between track and edge. I do realize that space limitations may preclude this which makes a guardrail cheap insurance against floor models.
Chet - Plywood is slowly disappearing, but I am not rushing anything. The realist in me says that it will still be about 2 1/2 - 3 years before everything is near completion. If I could disconnect the throttle, it could be sooner!;)
Sherrel - Absolutely loved the X-acto display. Been lucky myself so far!
Curt - Regarding the red dot; I have seen paint splotches on the sides of prototype rails before and did not know what they were there for, with one exception. The exception which was confirmed by a brakeman to me one time, was two white spots painted on a rail away from the unloading door to a customer. Since there wasn't room for a man between the boxcar and building, they painted the spots so they knew where the door was and could direct the engineer to spot the boxcar safely from the clear side, without guessing. I have seen red, blue and yellow at other locations (not door markers), but have no clue why they are there. Some may be maintenance markings.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, y'all. 68° and starting to cloud over. Rain predicted for later on.

Been a bit busy with other stuff of late, so I haven't been participating as much as I would like.
So, no lists here for now.

Boris

Good Morning To All
yes the Alco is Rough { Understatement } but heavily weathered it should pass
hauling 12 coal hoppers { thats the plan }
Happy Easter to All
Received an Atlas GP-7 Today { cheap } so that is heading to the paint shop
Hopefuly a better outcome than the Alco
Nothing else to report on this end , except weather is Fantastic ,
i would like to thank you all for your comments , and help . and wish you and all your Families a very Happy Easter

Chuck
IMG_20190419_141358.jpg

Howdy .... Today for sure we are headed to Nashville. Leaving shortly ....

Chet .... The scene you posted yesterday with hardware store and lumber yard is a good one. I noticed a couple of older vintage vehicles mixed in with your '50's vehicles.

Willie ... Your house and clothesline scene looks great.

Chuck .... It is good to see your GP7 painting project. I like my Atlas GP7's very much.

Here's a picture of some passenger trains meeting.

27410646578_3a0d866c7e_k.jpg

Good Morning FLO, FRANCINE, and GRACE! Some coffee to start, please, I'll prder breakfast later after catching up with this mornings postings.
High temp yesterday was 89, so the local guys win - they had said 88! Today they are saying 89 for a high and it is clear and calm. Humidity starts out here high because of the ocean influence/breeze at night of 70-80% and then drops throughout the day to somewhere's in the 30% range this time of year.

Wilie - Nice little house and yard scene. Did you use paino wire for the clothesline?

Garry - Awesome photo of the Pass Train meet and your "junkyard" - which is a prize winner in my book!

No train news this morning - except I did find a couple boxes of scenery material from 35 years ago while shuffling stuff around in the STILL YET TO CLEAN garage! My, how things have changed - I got lots of sawdust if anyone needs a sawmill?

Good morning. 48 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the 60's. Got up to 71 yesterday and finally the last of the snow melted along side the driveway in the shaded areas. The physical therapist put a butt whoopin' on me again yesterday, but she sees good improvement. Still way ahead of what was expected. Once a week from now on instead of twice a week.

Willie - Nice photos again. I can understand why it can take so long to get the plywood prairie covered. Rome wasn't built in a day. Been there.

Patrick - An E-9 to the floor. OUCH.

Chuck - Good luck with the GP-9.

Garry
- Another great photo. Thumb up.gif

Greg -
My little 70 switcher is so quiet that I have to search around the layout to find out where it is. Can't believe that if from Bachmann. One fine little locomotive. Really great slow speed capabilities which is really nice when switching.

Ray
- Quite a deal in the SD-35.

Ran trains for a while yesterday and spruced up some of the older parts of the layout. Had the 70 ton switcher doing its thing. Here's a photo of a Woodland Scenics building in my town of Anceny.

thumbnail_20190417_103010.jpg

I have been requested to be present at the bowling alley tonight. My team is a game out of first place and this is the last night of the regular season. My replacement claims that I was good luck last week when they took all four games. There is beer there so I will make an appearance.

Later/

Happy Friday afternoon gang
68° and raining now, severe storms from midnight til 5 a.m. predicted, gonna be a fun night ahead!
Terry, I think your weather is coming my way!

Good afternoon. It's windy, cloudy and 72.
Tornado watch in effect, as well as severe thunderstorm watch.

I looked at that line of weather this morning!
That's downright mean looking.

Chuck -- You sure don't let any grass grow under your feet?
I do wish that your lighting on your photos was a little better ... would bring out better details!

Good afternoon. It's windy, cloudy and 72.
Tornado watch in effect, as well as severe thunderstorm watch.
Happy Friday afternoon gang
68° and raining now, severe storms from midnight til 5 a.m. predicted, gonna be a fun night ahead!
Terry, I think your weather is coming my way!

Looks like the same system that went through here Wednesday night (got Johnny and Patrick as well). Watch for slow moving heavy thunderstorms, strong winds and some hail.

Afternoon All,

Made the trip to the grocery store today for the family Easter Dinner. We have heavy thunderstorms passing through locally and will be until late, but the weekend is supposed to be great.

Sherrel- Right now everything is saved on a jump drive, but after Easter I'm looking to get a external HD.

Garry- Nice picture with Pennsy E7's in the foreground and a very nice layout photo. Be safe in this crappy weather.

Willie- Nice looking house and yard scene. Makes sense about the dots.

Chet- Nice layout scene. Good luck for your bowling team.

Chuck- Nice paint job.

Tom- WOW!

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back